返回列表 发帖
I did the section16 yesterday. But I was too tired and sleepy last night, so didn't paste any puzzle here. I will try to do the 13,or 12, thus we can consentrate the same questions.

Since you're prepare the test part-time, I feel efficiency is more important than the neat time you spend.

Really? I will almost have whole day on Friday after tomorrow's training. See u! Got Questions for you , thank you for help!

Section 12-IV

Question 17-18
Teacher: Journalists who conceal the identity of the sources they quote stake their professional reputations on what may be called the logic of anecdotes. This is so because the statements reported by such journalists are dissociated from the precise circumstances in which they were made and thus will be accepted for publication only if the statements are high in plausibility or originality or interest to a given audience – precisely the properties of a good anecdote.

Student: But what you are saying, then, is that the journalist need not bother with sources in the first place. Surely, any reasonably resourceful journalist can invent plausible, original. or interesting stories faster than they can be obtained from unidentified sources.

17. The student's response contains which one of the following reasoning flaws?   D   B
(A) confusing a marginal journalistic practice with the primary work done by journalists
(B) ignoring the possibility that the teacher regards as a prerequisite for the publication of an un-attributed statement that the statement have actually been made
(C) confusing the characteristics of reported statements with the characteristics of the situations in which the statements were made
(D) judging the merits of the teacher's position solely by the most extreme case to which the position applies
(E) falsely concluding that if three criteria, met jointly, assure an outcome, then each criterion, met individually, also assures that outcome
-------------------------------------------------------------------
20. If the majority of the residents of the apartment complex complain that their apartments are infested with ants, then the management of the complex will have to engage the services of an exterminator. But the majority of the residents of the complex indicate that their apartments are virtually free of ants. Therefore, the management of the complex will not have to engage the services of an exterminator. 
Which one of the following arguments contains a flawed pattern of reasoning parallel to that contained in the argument above? C  D

(A) A theater will be constructed in the fall if funds collected are at least sufficient to cover its cost. To date, the funds collected exceed the theater's cost, so the theater will be constructed in the fall.
(B) The number of flights operated by the airlines cannot be reduced unless the airlines can collect higher airfares. But people will not pay higher airfares, so it is not the case that the number of flights will be reduced.
(C) In order for the company to start the proposed building project, both the town council and the mayor must approve. Since the mayor has already approved, the building project will be started soon.
(D) Most employees will attend the company picnic if the entertainment committee is successful in getting a certain band to play at the picnic. But that band will be out of the country on the day of the picnic, so it is not true that most employees will attend.
(E) Either the school's principal or two-thirds of the parent council must approve a change in the school dress code in order for the code to be chanced. Since the principal will not approve a change in the dress code. the code will not be chanced.
--------------------------------------------------
22. Paulsville and Longtown cannot both be included in the candidate's itinerary of campaign stops. The candidate will make a stop in Paulsville unless Salisbury is made part of the itinerary. Unfortunately, a stop in Salisbury is out of the question. Clearly, then, a stop in Longtown can be ruled out.
The reasoning in the argument above most closely parallels that in which one of the following arguments?  A  B
(A) The chef never has both fresh radishes and fresh green peppers available for the chief’s salad at the same time. If she uses fresh radishes, she also uses spinach. But currently there is no spinach to be had. It can be inferred, then, that she will not be using fresh green peppers.
(B) Tom will definitely support Parker if Mendoza does not apply: and Tom will not support both Parker and Chung. Since, as it turns out, Mendoza will not apply. it follows that Chung will not get Tom's support.
(C) The program committee never selects two plays by Shaw for a single season. But when they select a play by Coward, they do not select any play by Shaw at all. For this season, the committee has just selected a play by Shaw, so they will not select any play by Coward.
(D) In agricultural pest control, either pesticides or the introduction of natural enemies of the pest. but not both, will work. Of course, neither will be needed if pest-resistant crops are planted. So if pesticides are in tact needed. it must be that here are no natural enemies of the pest.
(E) The city cannot afford to build both a new stadium and the new road that would be needed to get there. But neither of the two projects is worth doing without the other. Since the city will not undertake any but worthwhile projects, the new stadium will not be constructed at this time.

20.D
题干是一个否命题。大多数居民投诉住宅有蚂蚁,物业就会来检查;但是大多数居民说没有蚂蚁,所以物业就不会来检查。
D)如果请来乐队,大多数雇员就会参加野餐;但是没有请来乐队,所以大多数雇员不会来。
C) 和题干logical pattern不一样

17-18题干看不明白呀,

22.B
P和L两者中,只能选择一个。如果不选S(第三者)就会选P.事实是,选择S是不可能的(那么就会选P),那么L只能被剔除(所以不能选L)
B)T不会同时支持 P和C两个人(只能支持一个人)。如果M不参加(第三者)T就一定会支持P.事实是,M不参加(T会支持P),所以T就不会支持C.

A)中If she uses fresh radishes, she also uses spinach 如果改成
    If she uses spinach,she also use fresh radishes.就和题干的逻辑一致了

我也有一个问题求助:

Until recently it was thought that ink used before 16 century did not contain titanium. However, a new of type of analysis detected titanium in the ink of the famous Bible printed by Johannes Gutenberg and in that of another 15 century Bible known as B-36, though not in the ink of any numerous other 15 century books analyzed. This finding is of great significance, since it not only strong supports the hypothesis that the B-36 was printed by Gutenberg but also shows that the presence of titanium in the ink of the purportedly 15 century Vinland map can no longer be regarded as a reason for doubting the map’s authenticity.

The reasoning in the passage is vulnerable to criticism on the ground that…
A)the results of the analysis are interpreted as indicating that the use of titanium as an ingredient in the 15 ink both was, and was not extremely restricted.
B)If the technology that makes it possible to detect titanium in printing ink has only recently become available, it is unlikely that printers or artists in 15 century would known whether their ink contained titanium or not
C)It is unreasonable to suppose that determination of the date and location of a document’s printing or drawing can be made solely on the basis of presence or absence of a single element in the ink used in the documents
D)Both the B-36 Bible and Vinland map are objects that can be appreciated on their own merits whether or not the precise date of their creation or the identity of the person who made them is known
E)The discovery of titanium in the ink of Vinland map must have occurred before titanium was discovered in the ink of the Gutenberg Bible and B-36 Bible

答案A.
在 A)中,both was and was not在原文里是如何体现的?
难道是 detect titanium in the ink of Gutenberg Bible, B-36 Bible and Vinland Map, though not in the ink of any numerous other 15 century books analyzed ?

转载bessette在lsat专刊中的贴子
to zyh79,

有点思路,仅供参考:

A的意思说,the reasoning in the passage is vulnerable because 研究人员对分析结果的解释表明 十五世纪时使用titanium的墨水仅仅限于the printing of Bible,但又不仅仅限于the printing of Bible,因为后面又提到Vinland Map 中也有titanium.

也就是说,如果研究结果仅仅是发现the printing of the two Bible,那么说This finding strongly supports the hypothesis that B-36 was printed by Gutenberg完全可以,但作者又画蛇添足地说the finding also shows that the presence of titanium in the ink of the purportedly fifteenth century Vinland Map can no longer be regarded as a reason for doubting the map’s authenticity, 那么读者就会提出疑问,即why not the B-36 was not printed by the printer of Vinland Map?

仅供参考!

To Louisa_xy:
Woo... you are so quick! Thank you very much for reply, it is very clear, your thinking is logical, and very clear! YOu will get high sccore on GMAT, I bet!

Answer your question: I did correct in this question because I exclude others at that time. Today, Carefully checking this question, I think as following:

Study: However, a new of type of analysis detected titanium in the ink of the famous Bible printed by Johannes Gutenberg and in that of another 15 century Bible known as B-36, though not in the ink of any numerous other 15 century books analyzed.

Result of analysis: .....,since it not only strong( supports the hypothesis that the B-36 was printed by Gutenberg) but also shows that (the presence of titanium )in the ink of the purportedly 15 century Vinland map (can no longer be regarded as a reason for doubting the map’s authenticity.)======> How you can judge this two Bible by one person? , if titanium is unique evidence for that person( restricated) , why other purportedly 15 century Vinland map ( not restricted) ?  

In addtion, you can get little hint that the Bible 36 is acutually very special from (thought....) , so A is correct:  

the results of the analysis are interpreted as indicating that the use of titanium as an ingredient in the 15 ink both was, and was not extremely restricted.

I hope it is clear. I like LSAT assumption, some like GMAT, some " 须在转弯"  interested. see you then!

谢谢 zyh79和cook 的解释,我似乎明白了^_^

to cook,很感谢你的鼓励,希望我们共同进步,都能得到自己满意的结果。
我是一根筋的人,逻辑是我非常不擅长的部分,但是集中练习Last的作用我已经亲身感受到了-在听别人讲话的时候,会将发现的逻辑错误和习题中的对照。是不是吹毛求疵啊?

这几天的作的每个section,都错7、8道,而且速度还上不去,60min左右。我恐怕是在10天之内完不成17sets,但有并肩战斗的人,一定会努力坚持的。

Some questions need your help:

The government has proposed a plan requiring young people to perform services to correct various social ills, especially those in education and housing. Government service, however, should be compelled only in response to a direct threat to the nation’s existence. For that reason, the proposed program should not be implemented.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the government depends?
A)Government-required services by young people cannot correct social ills
B)The nation’s existence is directly threaten in terms of foreign attack
C)Crisis in education and housing constitute a threat to nation’s existence
D)The nation’s young people believe that current social ills pose no direct threaten to nation’s existence
E)Some of the social ills that current afflict the nation do not pose a direct threaten to nation’s existence

答案是E,我选C.
我的想法:如果E是正确答案的话,它应该是the assumption of the conclusion of the argument,而不是 government’s assumption. 政府认为生存的威胁存在,才提出这项计划—C.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A standard problem for computer security is that passwords that have to be typed on a computer keyboard are comparatively easy for unauthorized user to steal or guess. A new system that relies on recognizing the voices of the authorized users apparently avoids the problem. In a small initial trial, the system never incorrectly accepted someone seeking assess to the computer’s data. Clearly, if this result can be repeated in an operational setting, then there will be a way giving access to those people who entitled to access and no one else.

The reason above is flaw because
A)makes a faulty comparison, in that a security system based on voice recognition would not be expected to suffer from the same problems as one that relied on passwords entered from a keyboard
B)bases a general conclusion on a small amount of data
C)fails to recognize that a security system based on voice recognition could easily have applications other than computer security
D)ignores the possibility that the systems sometimes denies access to people who entitled to access
E)states its conclusion a qualified way

“a small initial trial” does not indicates the trial is based on a small amount of data?

1. E. I knew you understood this question and you got the answer :  它应该是the assumption of the conclusion of the argument because "Which one of the following is an assumption on which the government depends"
1. assumption -> conclusion. "exist conclusion then you discuss assumption otherwise the question should specially point out.
2.say same meanings , normally is not correct.

2.I made a mistake same with you . My review:  Just Like the question you are asking , so I can ask you same question, it is no answer, you can't point out. it could be sound. But D indicates the flaw: ingore...... because the study only shows that the system (never incorrectly accepted someone seeking assess to the computer’s data),how about (incorrectly refused).

To Louisa_xy:

" 质比量更重要", I totally agree. I also stop today to review the errors. maybe take 2 days. then continuate. Do't worry! You want me to wait a little bit?

one thing I want to discuss with you : you know, sometime, I found  I could reduce the timing by cutting the time in which I stuck , or hesitated in two choices very long time without changing the result.Maybe you can try this way?

I will take train back to my home about 4 hours ,the scene outside evoked my nostalgia on my coming, ^_^ see you later!

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%

查看