返回列表 发帖

Columbia Business School MBA Class of 2019 新生问答

As first-year MBA students at Columbia Business School (CBS) finish up their finals and head off to their summer internships, we’re excited to feature a handful of the MBA Class of 2019 reflecting on what led them to choose CBS for business school and how their experience so far has met—or exceeded—their expectations.

Though still in Uris Hall on the main Columbia University campus, CBS will occupy state-of-the-art facilities as part of the Manhattanville campus currently under construction a little farther uptown within the next few years. But even with its new home still a few years into the future, CBS has no problem attracting leading business school applicants from around the globe. Strategically branding itself as the business school “at the very center of business,” CBS’s New York City location makes it an ideal launch pad for students seeking careers in finance on Wall Street.

But in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis, CBS also clearly demonstrated that it is far from a one-trick pony. Though the largest slice of the most recent graduating class—36.9 percent—did still head into finance, that’s down sharply from before the 2008 crash, when investment banking regularly lured a full half of the class or more. Today, consulting is a close runner up, attracting 33.1 percent of the Class of 2017. And the fast-growing startup and tech scene has also become a huge pull.
And just as job opportunities beyond the MBA are widely varied thanks to CBS’s New York City location, so, too, are the opportunities current students can take advantage of. The CBS curriculum includes more than 200 electives, including many that feature heads of industry visiting the classroom and sharing their expertise. Internship opportunities are also vast—and many CBS students complement traditional summer internships with school-year stints at nearby firms to get even more real-time experience because they can.

A More Selective Class Is Also More Diverse

The 753 students in the CBS MBA Class of 2019 were culled from 6,188 applicants, representing a 1 percent uptick in applicant volume over last year and an 11.4 percent increase over five years ago. That places Columbia among the most selective business schools in the world, accepting a mere 16.5 percent of applicants seeking a place in this most recent class. Although we should note that the class size did fall year over year, from 776 to 753.

As you might imagine, Columbia’s increasing selectivity means that average stats for admitted students are harder than ever to beat. The average GMAT score for the Class of 2018 was 724, and the average undergraduate GPA was 3.5.

These rising stats, though, have certainly not had a dampening effect on diversity within the class. Quite the contrary. With women making up 41 percent of the class, minority U.S. students, 34 percent, and international citizens, 43 percent, Columbia is in line with other M7 schools in terms of bringing together individuals from widely varied backgrounds to learn from each other.

Today’s Real Humans of the CBS School MBA Class of 2019 captures some of the dynamism and variety that makes the school special. Read on to hear from five top students—from a range of backgrounds pursuing equally varied post-MBA career paths—on why CBS was right for them.
收藏 分享
菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

Marcus Singleton, CBS MBA Class of 2019
Hometown: Baltimore, MD
Undergraduate Institution and Major: College of William and Mary, finance
Pre-MBA Work Experience: 6 years, asset management industry and edtech startup co-founder. I also did a pre-MBA internship at Kapor Capital, a social impact VC firm.

Why business school? Why now?
Business school offers a unique opportunity to hit the pause button on your life and really think through what it is you want to do. I knew that my intended transition into the tech industry and venture capital would require access to a network of people who are deeply embedded in those industries, as well as some improved technical skills to close my skill gaps. For example, although I had done some marketing in the startup world, I really did not have any formal training in that area.

Why CBS? What factors figured most prominently into your decision of where to attend?
CBS was unique in the fact that it is located in a major city with a prominent tech scene. The flexibility of the curriculum also made it possible for me to do in-semester internships such as the spring 2018 internship I am currently doing on the investing team at Comcast Ventures. I wanted the opportunity to rebrand myself, and having the ability to intern during the school year for course credit allowed me to gain experience beyond the one summer internship in between my first and second year.

What do you think is your most valuable or differentiating contribution to the Class of 2019?
My biggest contribution has probably been my participation in my cluster (70-person cohort) board. I served as community chair, leading our cluster in traditions such as the Cluster Cup (round robin of competitions with other clusters to serve as a bonding opportunity), and CBS Matters (a series of 30-minute spotlight on individual students who share personal stories about themselves to the cluster). I am also a proud member of the Black Business Student Association, where I served on the conference committee, helping to organize one of the largest student-run conferences on campus.

Fun fact that didn’t get included on your application?
When I was a toddler, I was apparently a hostage in a bank robbery and was excited because I thought it was all a game.

Post-MBA career interests? I hope to either work in venture capital or big tech in the short term, with aspirations of raising my own venture fund or joining a startup after a few years.

Advice to current prospective applicants:

–One thing you would absolutely do again as part of your application process?
I had the blessing of being a part of Management Leadership for Tomorrow (MLT), which is an MBA prep program for underrepresented minorities. It provided both great preparation for the application process and a network of really great peers who are now all at top MBA programs across the country. The biggest takeaway from the program was to really understand your own personal story and how to communicate it to an admissions team, and subsequently to employers.

–One thing you would change or do differently?
I would have taken a GMAT prep class from the beginning instead of self-studying for a few months. It can be challenging to hold yourself accountable without the structure and efficiency of a formal program.

–Part you would have skipped if you could—and what helped you get through it?
The GMAT! What a stressful process. I credit taking a test prep program and also some of my friends who were applying to business school at the same time, who helped me by trading study tips and support.

Greatest highlight so far at CBS?
We went on an incredible trip to South Africa over winter break for about two weeks. We saw Cape Town, Kruger National Park (including four of the big five on safari), and Johannesburg. It was my first time on the continent and an overall amazing experience.

One thing about CBS that you didn’t expect before arriving?
I didn’t expect the people to be so willing to help each other. I could recount so many stories of people struggling with a class, looking for a contact in a certain industry, or interview prep, and seeing Columbia students jump to help.

Thing you were most anxious about in your first year? (Did it end up warranting the anxiety?)
I was worried about there not being enough opportunities to go around. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised with the overload of opportunities, both career and socially, to the point where it can be hard to prioritize.

Thing you were most excited about in your first year? (Did it live up to your expectations?)
I was really looking forward to building relationships with great people. I have to say that I have more than exceeded that expectation and feel like I have met friends who will remain so for life.
菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

Gaby Redondo, CBS MBA Class of 2019
Hometown: Turrialba, Costa Rica & Miami, FL
Undergraduate Institution and Major: University of Florida, finance and information systems
Pre-MBA Work Experience: 5 years, consulting

I felt that after working as a consultant for the federal government I had become a bit complacent with my work, and I was not happy about that. Business school allowed me to take a step back to assess and gain the necessary skills to pursue a career in tech strategy.

Why CBS? What factors figured most prominently into your decision of where to attend?
CBS provides stellar education in a great city, a diverse student body, and a large class size. Location was a key factor in my decision because I would like to stay in the Northeast after school and being in NYC provides unparalleled opportunities to meeting industry leaders and companies.

What do you think is your most valuable or differentiating contribution to the Class of 2019?
My ability to serve as a bridge between business and technology as well as a bridge between the Latin and American communities.

One time, after stepping out of the ocean in Florida, I was told that there were three tiger sharks where I had just been swimming.

Post-MBA career interests? Technology

Looking back, if there were one thing I would do again it would be to apply earlier to the programs I was interested in. Applying during the second round only prolonged the GMAT studying period and interfered with my holiday plans.

I should not have applied to schools that I was not interested in because of their ranking. It’s a waste of time and energy.

I would have skipped taking the GMAT. Unfortunately, there’s no way around it, but what helped me get through it was family support, a group of friends through the Forte program that kept me accountable, and focused study sessions.

There have been so many highlights in the past two semesters that have made my CBS experience so memorable, but one of my favorite ones is taking a class called “Personal Leadership & Success.” It is not your typical business school class and allowed me to put my future in perspective and develop the tools to become my best self.

How scrappy and humble most students at the school are and how they use that scrappiness to create a stronger community.

Thing you were most anxious about in your first year? (Did it end up warranting the anxiety?)
Before starting CBS, I was most anxious about the cluster and learning team dynamics. Luckily, once school started, I was fortunate to be placed in a cluster with incredible people that have been extremely supportive and motivating.

Thing you were most excited about in your first year? (Did it live up to your expectations?)
I was most excited about meeting incredible people with a passion for learning and growth. The affinity groups, club activities, and my cluster have been some of the many experiences that helped make this first year an incredible one.
菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

Cindy Qin, CBS MBA Class of 2019
Hometown: Queens, New York
Pre-MBA Work Experience: 7 years, a mix of design consulting and financial services experience

Prior to attending CBS, I had taken on a few different roles in different industries. I worked diligently in each role and was fortunate enough to be recognized for my contributions at each organization. However, my career growth at each organization seemed to stagnant after a year or two, after I moved into “middle.” What I mean by that is I would often be managing a few analysts or strategists, but not an entire team. I saw that as an opportunity to come to business school to understand what skillsets I might be missing to be a more effective leader in the future and to practice those skills in a receptive environment as well.

For me, CBS is not only at the “very center of business” but at the very center of my everything. I grew up in Queens, and many of my loved ones are in NYC. When making my final decision, I tried to take a holistic view and understand where I would be happiest—not only on a professional development level but a personal one as well. I would really encourage all prospective applicants to consider all aspects of their lives when selecting schools, because it makes a huge difference. What’s right for someone else may not be what’s right for you! Of course, I’m lucky because CBS truly, truly has so much to offer! Whatever your interests are, you can find a class or a club that will connect you to the right community. For example, I am interested in design innovation and was able to take an elective called “Human-Centered Design Applications” in the fall, taught by Harry West, the CEO of frog! We also get incredibly talented adjunct professors and speakers by virtue of being in NYC as well.

This is a tough question because I hope that my most valuable contributions to CBS are yet to come. I was fortunate enough to be elected as a co-president for the Columbia Women in Business club next year, and my partner and I have many plans to create a more inclusive community for all women at CBS. I’m also fortunate to be on the Peer Advisor Board with a great team, and we hope to plan an incredibly impactful orientation experience for incoming students!
Answering the question more directly, I think my most differentiating characteristic is the ability to keep an open perspective and accept others for their differences. Something I’ve noticed is that no matter who you are and no matter what environment you’re in, there are moments when you might feel like an “other.” Because I’ve lived and worked in drastically different corporate cultures with very different personalities (investment banking and private equity vs. design and non-profit), I think that I am a bit more accepting about people’s vastly different life experiences—and also where life can go. I’ve tried to pass this perspective to other students, so hopefully at the very least, that has helped some with the stress of finding the “perfect” job!

I’ve been a bridesmaid five times, twice as maid of honor.

Post-MBA career interests?
Strategy, business development, or product management at a socially-conscious organization.

I really enjoyed the experience of reading my recommendation letters and was pleasantly surprised by what was written. My managers took the time to include thoughtful “words of wisdom” about my past performance, and understanding their feedback was helpful for my personal growth. I thought the process of asking for and receiving the letters also created the opportunity to build stronger relationships with them than through everyday work interactions.

One thing I would do differently is to take advantage of all the resources that CBS offers for you to get to know the school earlier rather than later. This is especially important as CBS has rolling admissions. Our admissions committee works incredibly hard to be available to prospective students through a variety of channels. As a result, prospective applicants can express their interest in the school by reaching out to student contacts, visiting campus for student chats, attending a class visit, or participating in a webinar. It’s important to note that I did do all these things, but looking back, I would absolutely have done them earlier to make a stronger case for myself.

An impactful piece of advice we received through Women’s Week (a week-long series of events that Columbia Women in Business organizes each year) is to not pre-worry. During my application process, I worried too much about what I should say and how I should say it. As a result, I spent entirely too much time “strategizing” rather than just sitting down and writing / submitting the application. I definitely would skip all the pre-worrying because it just wasn’t helpful for anything. I think having confidence in your own accomplishments and who you are would be helpful to combat this—remember, if you’re considering CBS, you’re likely already awesome!

Delivering my CBS Matters to my cluster last semester.

One thing about CBS that you didn’t expect before arriving?
I didn’t expect the community to be as strong as it has been. For whatever reason, I had the misconception that CBS is a “finance” school and thought the culture might be lacking. However, this absolutely has not been the case.

I was most anxious about making “real” connections with other students. No, I shouldn’t have had that anxiety, because I definitely have made some great friends! Friendships are developed over time as well, so I think that’s important to remember.

Participating in the community through hanging out with my cluster, meeting people through clubs like Microlumbia, CWiB, and soon, the Peer Advisor program.
菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

Lindy Gould, CBS MBA Class of 2019
Hometown: Rye, NY
Undergraduate Institution and Major: Wheaton College (IL), communication and political science; I also hold an M.A. in elementary education and teaching from Dominican University and a Master of Fine Arts in creative writing from Lesley University.
Pre-MBA Work Experience: I worked for seven years in education/non-profits with Citizen Schools and then Teach for America. I spent the first four years in the classroom as a middle school teacher and then three years on TFA’s recruitment team.

Four years of teaching in low-income middle schools inspired me to build a career rooted in racial and socioeconomic equity. After my time in the classroom, I joined Teach for America’s recruitment team, focusing on building equitable hiring practices and processes. I decided to apply to business school because I realized I wanted to help all kinds of companies, not just those in the public sector, to hire and empower leaders that better reflect the diversity of our country.

I knew being in New York City would provide a unique business school experience, and I’m still impressed every day by the opportunities that our location allows. For example, I’m currently taking one of our signature “immersion” classes, which meets each Friday at different company headquarters, including HBO, Google, and the New York Times. It’s also great to be able to hop on the subway and head to Koreatown for karaoke, run through Central Park, or use my student ID to get discounted shows at the Public Theater. It’s awesome to be a student in NYC!
I also chose CBS because I wanted to continue my work in social impact through the Tamer Center for Social Enterprise. Through the Tamer Center, I took a “Launching Social Ventures” class that focused on how to start a mission-driven organization. This fall, I’m planning to participate in the ReEntry Acceleration Program (REAP), which trains MBA students to deliver business training to incarcerated individuals. The Tamer Center also provides funding for CBS students who decide to spend their summer internship doing work that specifically advances social values.

I was recently elected co-president of student government for the 2018-2019 school year. It’s an honor to have the opportunity to manage an executive board, work directly with our administration, and lead 1,600 of my peers. I’m proud to be a woman taking on a large, public leadership role, and I’m proud of my community for electing me.

I’m really lucky to have a husband, Willie, who supports my career 100 percent. It’s not always easy to be married to an MBA student! His support this year has meant that I can participate fully in the CBS community. His feminism makes me excited about the willingness of this generation of men to fight for workplace gender parity.

Post-MBA career interests?
I want to help companies recruit, hire, and support diverse groups of employees that reflect the workforce of the future. This summer, I’m excited to intern in the human capital space for two great companies: ABInBev and Deloitte. I’d also like to run for public office in the next five years.

I spent a long time in personal reflection as I was writing my essays. I thought about my career experiences and what I wanted to get out of business school. I talked to numerous current students at each school to refine my ideas as I went through this process. As a result, the things I wrote about in my CBS essays are well-aligned with how I’ve spent my time since starting in August. Not only did my essays really show the admissions team that I had done my research, but this pre-work meant that I knew how to prioritize my energy once I arrived on campus.
I also was intentional about visiting schools during events that covered topics I was passionate about. For example, I attended a diversity conference, an education conference, and three women’s conferences—all at different schools. This exposure allowed me to connect with current students who were passionate about similar issues and helped me to figure out if the schools were really going to be a good fit.

I took the GRE, but not until after a year of studying for the GMAT. The GRE was a much better fit for me, but I pushed myself to try to take the GMAT because I had convinced myself it was the “right” thing to do. I should have taken a practice GRE and GMAT at the beginning of the process. That would have shown me right away that I was more comfortable with one test over the other.

I had a lot of self-doubt during the application process. There were times that I doubted if I was going to be accepted anywhere. I got through it because of the Forté Foundation’s MBALaunch program, which paired me with a group of amazing women who were all going through the same thing as me. The five women were incredibly supportive, emotionally and practically, and three of us ended up attending CBS together!

I’m a member of CBS Reflects, our diversity, equity, and inclusion board. Every February, the board mobilizes a school-wide survey that examines how students perceive the CBS community across lines of difference. In addition to promoting the survey through swag and fun competitions, there were also panels on topics like the #MeToo movement. It was powerful to see so many students dedicated to ensuring and improving an already inclusive community.

Since CBS is in New York City, I worried that the community might not be as strong as at other business schools. I’m very happy to say that this is definitely not the case! The foundation of our program is the cluster system, in which all students are placed in diverse groups of 70 incoming MBA students. This creates a strong home base that students remain connected to over the entire two years.

Before coming to school, I bought into a lot of the stereotypes about business school students. I thought most of my classmates were going to be primarily interested in finance and not necessarily social impact—but that was very much a misconception. My friends are interested in everything from media to tech to luxury goods—and everyone is thinking about how to leverage their skills to make the world a better place.

I was most excited about having the opportunity to travel and learn about business from a more international perspective. Over spring break, my friend Kyungsun Chung brought a group of us to Seoul to learn more about South Korean chaebol, his country’s system of conglomerates. Seeing the country through his eyes was a completely different experience than I could have had on my own.
菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

Mark Mosby, CBS MBA Class of 2019
Hometown: Los Angeles, California
Undergraduate Institution and Major: United States Air Force Academy, B.S. in behavioral science
Pre-MBA Work Experience: 6 years, United States Air Force Officer

I saw business school as the perfect transition from a career in the Air Force to a career in the private sector. Business school has given me the opportunity to sharpen my technical skills, explore a variety of career opportunities, and completely immerse myself in business before I start working full time. After cultivating my leadership style over my 10-year Air Force career, I was ready to combine that with a strong education in finance to make a seamless transition into the financial services sector.

CBS’ location at the “very center of business” (New York City) was a huge factor in my decision to attend. I knew I wanted to pursue a career in finance, and I truly believe that there is no better place to do so than New York City. Furthermore, CBS’ exceptionally strong finance curriculum and powerful network of alumni in the city made it the right place for me.

What do you think is your most valuable or differentiating contribution to the Class of 2019? I come from a place of passion, purpose, and intent. This comes across in my day-to-day interactions at CBS, and I hope I’ve inspired my classmates to pursue their own passions through business.

Although the military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy was repealed in 2010, it wasn’t implemented until September 2011; therefore, I was one of the last LGBT cadets to graduate from USAFA under that policy.

Post-MBA career interests? I am currently pursuing a career in financial services (specifically investment banking).

Be authentic! I was very transparent about my strengths and weaknesses in my application, and this self-awareness allows admissions teams to understand what you will get out of the MBA experience.

Absolutely nothing—I have no regrets. I did my research and adequately prepared to apply during my admissions cycle. I also made sure that I only applied to schools that would be the right fit for me—fit is everything.

The GMAT experience! My friends and family were overwhelmingly supportive, which helped me to conquer the beast that is the GMAT.

Sharing my Coming Out story with the entire school as well as planning, organizing, and executing Cluster Q’s First Annual Pink Party, CBS’ first ever school-wide LGBT party benefitting the Ali Forney Center.

I didn’t expect to make such strong relationships so early in the experience. I’ve made lifelong friends in such a short period of time, making this experience all worth it.

Academics. I did not have a background in business before starting at CBS, so I was a little nervous about sitting into a classroom full of investment bankers and consultants. I believe that it warranted the anxiety, but I worked hard to overcome this anxiety and perform.

The CBS community. Despite its location in New York City, CBS does a phenomenal job of cultivating the foundation of a “cluster culture.” After orientation, your cluster becomes your CBS family throughout the next two years and beyond. In addition, the Office of Student Affairs is overwhelmingly supportive of the students at CBS. The CBS community has exceeded my expectations in every aspect, and I am very thankful to be a member of this community.
菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

thanks   .....

Thanks♪(・ω・)ノ

Mark一下!!!

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%

查看