返回列表 发帖

[分享]MIT的Sample Essay

QUESTION: Please give us an example of a difficult interaction you had with someone. Please describe the situation, what was difficult about it, and how you resolved it. (500-800 words)

"I'm planning to quit." These are not words that presage an easy conversation. Even if you actually want an employee to leave, you still have to be sensitive, patient, and at least mildly regretful before you can accept her resignation. But if you've just become her manager, and you need to preserve stability and expertise in a rapidly shifting team, then the conversation promises to be far more difficult indeed.

Such was the situation I faced one gray September afternoon, the afternoon of the same day that I had announced I would be managing my firm's Assessment Operations team. I was starting the first of my one-on-one meetings with team members, a meeting I had hoped would kick off a long and fruitful relationship with [deleted], the team's Project Associate. Having known [deleted] in passing for the previous two years and having found her prickly but capable, I'd imagined that this conversation would help us get to know each other, clarify her and my responsibilities, and affirm a mutually rewarding ľ and enduring ľ working relationship. Instead, unless I accomplished some quick damage control, I would have to hire yet another novice onto the team, to replace a valued employee on whom I would feel I'd turned my back.

So I took a breath, gestured an invitation to take a seat, and said, "I'm terribly sorry to hear that, [deleted]. Can you tell me why you want to leave?"

"Well, I haven't had a raise in over a year, and I'm still doing all the basic stuff that no one else takes the trouble to do."

We discussed "the basic stuff" for a few minutes, both to identify the tasks and to make sure [deleted] realized I respected her expertise. I then asked whether she had managed client projects independently.

"No, nothing big. The people that have run this group haven't given me credit for all my hard work."

"What makes you feel that you haven't been given credit?"

"I haven't had any important projects, and I've been kept down, just because they think I'm stupid because I don't have a college degree."

As I had suspected, the issue wasn't just money. Insecure over her educational background, [deleted] feared that she would never be promoted and would always be consigned to tedious responsibilities. I spent some minutes clarifying her particular anger at her previous supervisors, largely to ensure that she wasn't antagonistic toward the organization or management in general, then began moving from problems to solutions.

"[Deleted], let me summarize what I've heard, just to make sure I'm clear. You feel you've put in a lot of hard work for which you haven't received recognition. And you're interested in being a Project Manager, but you believe you haven't been given a fair chance. Is that right?"

"Exactly."

"Do you feel you're ready to manage client projects ľ be the primary point of contact, develop the client relationships, establish parameters and timetables, manage from end to end?"

"Sure. I mean, some of that stuff makes me nervous. I enjoy talking to clients, but I haven't been the official Project Manager, so I've never had to be the only one responsible for making the project go well. But the technical stuff is what I already do."

This was the opening I was looking for. I understood now what [deleted] wanted, but not knowing her well, I wasn't yet confident that she was ready for a full Project Manager role, and I didn't want to set a bad precedent ľ if only in her mind ľ by promoting her on the spot. Fortunately, she was acknowledging that she needed more skills, skills that I was in a good position to teach her.

"[Deleted], I don't want you to leave, and I do want you to become a Project Manager. What if I assign you increasingly complex client projects, join the initial project planning conversations, help you write the timetables and letters of agreement, and train you on all the stages you're not yet comfortable with? Then, when you've had some experience, you'll be ready for the official promotion. Can we try that arrangement together?"

[Deleted] has been an Assessment Project Manager since January 2001. I recently asked her whether she still thinks about resigning. "Why would I quit?" she asked. "I mean, I like my clients, and I'm learning so much." Having received opportunities and respect, [deleted] has responded with renewed energy, productivity, and enthusiasm. All of these were well worth a difficult conversation.
收藏 分享

QUESTION: Describe a situation where you introduced and/or managed change in an organization. Tell us how you influenced others in an organization (business, school, extracurricular activity) and comment on the professional and/or personal attributes you used to do that and how these attributes (and others) might be important in the attainment of your career goals. How do you expect to further the development of these attributes at the MIT Sloan School of Management?

When I was in rural Japan in the summer of [deleted], I felt like Superman in a country full of Kryptonite. Sent to southern tip of the southern-most island of Japan to manage the SAP implementation for [deleted] as an [deleted] consultant, I was responsible for implementing business process changes in a country where I did not speak the language. I had lost my power to communicate. The business managers with whom I had to work had a conflicted view of me. On one hand, they viewed me positively because I was instructing them how to use the new tools to do their jobs. At the same time, they resented me because I was directing them to do tasks in unfamiliar ways.

So how did I thrive? Four critical attributes enabled me to make that engagement a success: perseverance, patience, the capacity to listen, and the ability to manage and work with people who were different than me.

Perhaps no day typified the challenges I faced better than the first day of "go-live," which came two weeks into my six-week stay. On [deleted], we stopped all 57 global computer systems used by [deleted] and converted the entire company to SAP. Such installations are notorious for their complexity, as every part of the business is changed at the same time. The Japanese distribution center, which usually shipped 1500 packages a day, shipped a grand total of six packages that day. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. Bar codes did not scan. Book-to-physical inventory discrepancies hidden in the old systems appeared. SAP configuration that had been tested and tested now malfunctioned.

While I had the SAP knowledge, I could not readily communicate it to my Japanese counterparts, and they could not explain their issues to me. Resolving each challenge required dedicated listening and patience. Frequently, the problem was a process change mandated by SAP, which required me to design a solution with the Japanese warehouse supervisor through a combination of verbal communication, written drawings, and hand signals.

Slowly, but surely, we got that distribution center working. Within three weeks, we made more shipments than ever before in that warehouse ľ 1700 in one day. Through the strength of global teamwork, patience, and perseverance, we realized our return on the SAP investment as well as a great sense of accomplishment.

A company's success is defined by its people. As a chief executive, I will need to motivate my team and ensure each person feels important. Patience, listening, and the ability to appreciate different viewpoints are required for managerial success. The rigor of a Sloan education demands both teamwork and trust in your teammates. These are critical lessons for every manager. At times, as the leader of my Sloan team, I will manage the overall project and delegate assignments. Other times, as a team member, I will contribute toward our end goal. Practicing teamwork in an educational environment offers the opportunity for analysis and introspection. Due to the hectic pace of the business world, it is difficult to find the time to examine the inner workings of a team. Studying for two years at Sloan will enable me to study team dynamics and reflect on my role as both a leader and a participant of a team.

Question: Please give an example of a situation when your thinking was different from your colleagues or superiors. (up to 500 words)

During my military service, I was a Second Lieutenant at the [deleted], assigned to its Intelligence's and Operations' Office. Part of my duties included blueprint conceptualization and preparation of the final plans for military projects under the supervision of the Major in charge. At first I only drew the plans on my computer according to Major's instructions. After gaining some experience though, I was assuming increasing amounts of responsibility and eventually I was almost taking over the entire process.

In August 2001, our office had to prepare a blueprint for the infantry's defensive positions on the island, given a certain invasion scenario. Early in discussion between the Major and me, it became clear that our understanding of the scenario variables was different, which led us to assumptions that contradicted one another and eventually to opposed opinions on the ideal plan. I tried to explain the reasons why we should proceed according to my opinion. I had no success: "The discussion is over; we are proceeding as said" said the Major, leaving no room to further debate.

Obviously I did not bear responsibility on the very choice of the submitted plan but only on how well I drew it. Still I felt that blindly following the order was not the right thing to do. Instead, I decided to handle the issue in a more diplomatic way and worked harder to prepare three things: the blueprint exactly as the Major requested, the alternative I proposed and a detailed reasoning that justified my opinion. In this reasoning I pointed out those specific areas in the given scenario that made the Major's assumptions less likely to be true. I did not openly compare the two proposals but instead I tried a direct approach of the case in which I excluded dicey assumptions and reached safe conclusions. My work made apparent that the blueprint I proposed was better.

When the project deadline approached, I presented him the version he ordered. Since I had done my work, I was entitled to present my case. The Major acknowledging my extra effort listened to my argumentation. After a thorough discussion, he conceded that I might have a point, noting however that the remaining time until the deadline was not enough to revise the blueprint. At that point I showed him the alternative version that I had already prepared. After his initial surprise, he decided to better examine my proposal before the final submission. Indeed, the next day he accepted my version, congratulating me for my work and for the way I handled the issue. His praise was a true "medal of honor" to me: "Excellent work, [deleted]; Congratulations for your responsibility and maturity". From that time on, we were thoroughly discussing most cases and for every single one we were able to reach a mutual agreement.

This incident taught me the importance of avoiding direct conflicts during negotiations or teamwork, thus making me significantly more productive. I learned to present my case in a positive manner without arguing negatively for other opinions. This way people's issues are left out of the discussion and the very facts are the ones that actually count. This has proved considerably valuable later on with my career, since interaction with people is always a crucial part of business.

Question: Please give an example of a time when you achieved a goal that was important to you. (up to 500 words)

Nationwide examinations to enter a public Greek university were an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me. A failure would deprive me from the business studies I wanted to pursue because my family's depressed economic position would not allow for private college. Since I longed for higher education, I viewed the exams as a personal bet, the first important challenge in my life.

The examinations were notoriously difficult due to limited availability of places. For my program of choice there were only 100 places available and I had to compete with tens of thousands of entrants for one of them. Thankfully, I was at no handicap in this race; throughout my previous school years, I had built strong academic fundamentals. Nevertheless, even more hard work was needed along with devoting at least two years for studying the four courses to be examined: Mathematics, Essay writing, History and Economics.

Mathematics was my forte. I had always been fascinated with quantitative challenges and that made me very comfortable with whatever sort of problem I faced. In order to further practice and ensure perfection, I solved numerous advanced problems I found in college books. As a result, I was one class above competition and in the final exams I easily scored 160/160 in less than half of the available time.

The essay exam required harder practice, since essays' grading is always subjective. I therefore had to ensure that I always followed certain principles in writing style and structure that would make my reading clear to the reader and ensure a high score at all cases. That was something I quickly mastered and on top I tried to build a higher score, with a lot of quality reading and extensive practice. Eventually I managed to score near perfection in the exams' essay.

For the latter two courses, what was generally recommended was to learn verbatim the books in question. Competition was so fierce, that even the slightest declination from the original text was enough to cut down on the final score, no matter if the meaning was left intact. Therefore, although I didn't approve this approach, I had no choice but enter the game and memorize the books word by word. Since I was not accustomed to study in that way, I had to mobilize several tricks, such as using a walkman to hear the previously recorded text while I was reading it or writing it down on paper several times. In this way, I managed to learn verbatim all the required text and was able to instantly recall and write down whichever paragraph or even footnote was asked; that naturally proved true in the finals too.

The final results turned out more than rewarding for my efforts. I scored the absolute highest grades in the whole country, entered the top undergraduate business program in Greece with honors and received significant merit-based scholarships and awards. But more importantly self fulfillment from my success has kept me motivated ever since in my life to work hard as I keep setting higher targets.

thanks for sharing!

MIT的essay真难写!

哈哈,好文章

谢谢LZ

mark

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%

查看