返回列表 发帖

Duke 的essay sample---25 Random things(7)

25 Random Things - Megan Lynam, Director of Admissions
  • From the beginning...my mom was in labor for 26 hours with me. I was actually delivered breach. Only a mother can love you after that.
  • I was a...ummm...headstrong child. I liked to dress myself, and would throw nasty temper tantrums >  when I didn't get to do so. My mom finally stopped fighting me and the woman who ran my Montessori school told her whenever she would drop me off in some hideous outfit I had put together that it was a sign of intelligence.
  • I came home crying on a regular basis when I started Middle School, convinced that I was failing everything. My mom set up an appointment with my guidance counselor, who was confused because I was getting all A's. The guidance counselor pulled me in and suggested that if the workload was stressing me, perhaps I should cut back on gymnastics (I went to the gym every night for over three hours and for six hours on Saturdays). Apparently I looked at her like she was on crack and said, "Why would I want to do anything halfway?"
  • I was a competitive gymnast from the age of five to thirteen, and was a state champion on uneven parallel bars. When I quit I weighed 88 pounds and was 4' 10". Six months later as I started my freshman year in high school I weighed 105 and was 5'3". I'm convinced that I would be six feet tall now if gymnastics hadn't stunted my growth...
  • My dog growing up was a Siberian Husky named Vodka. He was born six months before me and was the most amazing, gentle, kind hound. We had to put him down when I was 17 and my mom vowed never to have another dog. Now she has three "grandpuppies" instead - Riley (mine), Rutabaga (my sister's...she has a thing about root vegetables), and Maverick (my brother's).
  • My dad calls my brother, sister, and me the "Turret's Kids".  He does not understand how he raised three children who talk like truck drivers.
  • I studied abroad in high school in Melbourne, Australia and in college in Freiburg, Germany.
  • I dated my high school and college boyfriend for almost 7 years. Since, I have had a number of long-term relationships. My friends call me a serial monogamist. I have no idea how to casually date.
  • My favorite city in Europe is Brugge; in South America it is Buenos Aires; in Asia it is Hanoi, in Africa it is Capetown.
  • My grandparents have traveled to every continent, every state, and pretty much anywhere you would ever want to go. I aspire to have a map as full with pins as theirs before I die.
  • My sister came to Durham to visit me over the holidays in 2005. She met a Fuqua student, fell in love, got engaged two months later, and moved from Cairo, Egypt to Durham to marry him.
  • My favorite place to read applications is Parker and Otis. They have THE BEST candy.
  • My dream house would have a HUGE kitchen with an island and chairs all around so that people could hang out together when I bake.
  • There is an assumption that because I am a good baker, I am also a good cook. This is not true. Baking is a science. Cooking is a mystery. What does "add salt to taste" mean anyway?
  • Brach's are the best butterscotch disks. Jelly Belly makes the best candy corn. Parker & Otis has the best white chocolate covered pretzels. The best gelato is definitely in Argentina and Chile. Dulce de leche is the most AMAZING thing ever.
  • I have an office supply problem. I love pens. And folders. And cool paper. Liz and I are forming a support group if you want to join.
  • I think most of you know this, but I wear a neck scarf on BIG days.
  • My arches are so high that the entire middle of my foot does not touch the ground. To think, in ancient Asia they would bind women's feet as a sign of royal blood, and all I get for mine is a bunch of foot and ankle injuries.
  • I didn't start running for exercise/sport until I was a junior in college. I got my first bike (since my Huffy Pink Thunder) when I was 22. I didn't start swimming until two years later when I got hurt and couldn't run or bike. I'm a triathlete. ANYONE can do it if they decide that they want to do it.
  • I play ALL kinds of music when I teach spinning.  You'll love some of it. You'll hate some of it.  You may be offended by some of it. But it all has a great beat and will motivate you to work harder. You should try it. I promise I'm not scary! O:-)
  • I wear a gold band on my second knuckle of my ring finger. So do my mom and my sister. My mom has her Master's in Shakespearean Literature and wearing your baby ring on your second knuckle was quite the fashion in Elizabethan England.
  • I hate camping. People always think I would like it since I love outdoor activities. Why sleep on the ground when you can sleep in a nice warm bed?
  • I am a bit OCD about being clean when I sleep. If I feel at all dirty (real or imagined) I cannot sleep and have to take another shower before I go to bed. This little issue also contributes to #22.
  • I was waitlisted in Round 1 when I applied to Fuqua. Liz called me in March to congratulate me on being admitted and I thought I had won the lottery. I did  :-)
  • It's schmoopy, but I am in awe of the people that we bring into our programs, the people who choose to work here, and the Leaders of Consequence that Fuqua cultivates in and out of the classroom. At our five year Fuqua reunion last year, I think Erin Gasch and I had the most envied jobs of all of our classmates. I definitely feel lucky to get to do something that I am truly passionate about.
收藏 分享

thanks for sharing

mark

谢谢

thx

谢谢

thanks

谢谢LZ

many thanks

thanks for sharing

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭