返回列表 发帖

IESE 心得分享

剛好有申請者寫信問了我學校的經驗,回完信之後順手po過來,跟大家分享一下個人經驗
如果還有想知道的,在台灣的同學們可以參加12/27在台北的Info session、或是在這裡回文、或是寫信給我(tzuhuei.hsu@iese.net)囉!

?    I was wondering what your experience has been like so far.
-> retty good!! I love this school a lot and don’t feel regretted at all!

?    what made you decide to attend IESE over other MBA programs.
1.    Ranking is good. This is a top European school. Although IESE is not famous in Asia, it is still one of the core schools that top investment banks and consulting firms target to recruit. I don’t take IESE’s brand awareness in Asia seriously. Once the company I would like to work with knows my school and will recruit, then it’s fine.
2.    Diversity. 80% of the students are international students coming from 50+ countries. Compared to the US, only around 20%-30% of the students are international. There is no “mainstream” in the class participation (we do case study), and you will be able to know and respect different views. The number of the students is around 280 in a class, making you easier to know most of your classmates.
3.    Teaching quality is very good. Professors are all strong in academic and practice. We have open door policy: Professors “have to” meet you if you would like to. I have classmates going to exchange in top business schools in the US this term. Their feedback (after comparison) is overall the teaching quality of IESE is really good.  
These are the information I got from Alumni before applying IESE. Now after 1.5 years study here, there is no gap between what I expected. Another personal reason is that I am a career switcher. I choose 2-year program so that I am able to do internship, helping me bridge to the career I want to go afterwards.

?    What is it like going to school in Barcelona?
-> Barcelona is not big but still a fun “city” to stay for 2 years. Except for Gaudi’s architectures, beautiful beach, and cozy and sunny weather, it’s a city that you won’t feel bored. If you want to hang out with friends after class, always many places to go easily. Some of my friends going to exchange in the US, they don’t get used to the huge campus or the must to have a car. Another advantage to study in Europe is you can go traveling to other countries easily by many budgeted airlines within around 2 hours.  

?    Was it difficult for you to adjust when you moved from you home country?
-> To me, it’s quite easy to adjust myself to the new environment. If you have the experiences of moving to a very new place, it’s similar like that. Being open-minded to different things and being humble to learn are the key. We have come so far to study here, the diversified environment. Our classmates are so different in terms of background, personalities, working styles and etc…Sometimes it takes a while to learn to work in this kind environment, but that’s one of the reasons we go for MBA, isn’t it?!
Knowing Spanish to live in Barcelona will make your life easier since most of people they don’t speak English well. However, it won’t cause you too many difficulties if you don’t. (not a big deal anyway) In school, we use English. School offers Spanish classes as well.

?    What classes do you enjoy most?
-> Most of the courses I enjoy a lot. As I said, the average teaching quality is pretty good. Courses are intense. Classes in 1st year are all mandatory, giving you a strong foundation. 2nd years courses are elective, so you can go for the courses you are interested in. IESE uses case study in most of the courses (accounting is the lecture ). Therefore, you learn how to solve business problems in the class just like in a business meeting: everyone provides their opinions with reasoning, a little bit debate sometimes (professors will lead the courses). Then professors will wrap up, highlight the key learning, and provide take-away at the end of the class. You will know this kind of training is very useful and practical when you do the summer internship. My 3 favorite classes so far are marketing, operation management in service industry (combined operation strategy and a little bit marketing), and leading growth ( it explores growth challenges for both high growth companies and established firms). I heard some finance courses are very good as well, but I don’t take it in 2nd year (it’s not my focus).

?    What has been your most memorable experience so far?
-> Still. Believe me, you will have many unforgettable experiences in MBA. I remember in the 1st year, classmates helped each other for the subjects they are not good at before exam, and practiced case interviews together for consulting interview. I remember the moments we worked together as a team for projects. I remember at “bar crawl” (kind like ice breaking activity at the very beginning of the 1st year), the 1st time you saw people are so much fun and relaxing (compared to the time we studied in school). I remember at “multi-culti” (kind like the event to demonstrate international cultures), we saw classmates wearing the traditional clothes of their countries and demonstrating their cultures through food and performances…..

Katrina
IESE, Class of 2012
收藏 分享

我是IESE Class 2012的學生,今年到NYU當交換生四個月
以個人經驗+亞洲學生觀點,對IESE做個類似SWOT分析
如果想要進一步了解學校,歡迎參加12/27台北說明會19:00@六福皇宮

Strengths
1. Diversified student body
在申請時對這一點並沒有特別的感覺,因為許多美國學校也強調這特色;但後來發現美國學校收的"minority student"多還是在美國受教育或生活很長一段時間,所以同學的思考邏輯與文化背景並沒有太大的差異;反觀IESE,除了30%的西班牙人,同學都"原始地"來自不同國家不同文化背景,這樣的衝擊是很大但也很有趣,真的能夠更了解不同文化的特色、學習包容與自己不同的思考邏輯及生活模式、激發新火花,我覺得這是我在IESE最大的收穫。
2. Case method
首先,我認為case study是非常貼近現實職場的學習方式,在管理工作中,我們要面對的是一個個經營難題,結合眾人的思考、力量,想出一個解決方式,而不是lecture method般有教授一步步告訴你理論、解答方式。
第二,亞洲學生多習慣lecture method,缺乏從分析、提案、報告、檢討的整合性思考經驗;我們步入28、29歲之際,智能與個人經驗都足以適應/學習這新的思考模式,往往更能夠打開新的視野、發揮更多自己的能力。
第三,因為課堂參與分數很重,同學們多會讀書、參與討論,使得課堂討論層次提高、往往學習到許多新的觀點;另外也訓練原本沒有發言習慣的亞洲同學能講出自己的想法,這在職場上其實是非常重要的,因為就算你有非常好的主意,如果沒勇氣說出來,老闆也不會知道。
3. Strong name in Europe
學校在歐洲企業的名聲/風評很好,所以許多大企業都會到校園徵才。在歐洲的亞洲人相對在美國的亞洲人數量較少,當亞洲市場崛起,企業多想開拓新市場之際,有亞洲背景的MBA學生自然有一定的優勢。

Weaknesses
1. Not well-known in Asia
對於想要回亞洲工作的學生會比較辛苦。一來學校的名聲不夠響,二來校友資源不如美國名校。
2. Not so many elective courses opened
因為學校較小,二年級選修課的種類與數量不能和美國大校相比,較不能滿足對非傳統科目有興趣的學生。
3. No big campus
沒有宿舍、健身房、大間圖書館等設施。

Opportunities
1. IESE is actively developing Asian market
IESE在國際間的排名其實都不錯,算是個有"裡"的學校,如果IESE能順利藉行銷及校友推廣而提高在亞洲企業間的知名度 ("表"的部分),那麼之後在亞洲就業機會應可提高。
2. International elective courses
IESE在美國紐約(campus)、巴西聖保羅(campus)、中國上海(與CEIBS合作)都有開短期密集選修課,並規劃拓展至印度、德國等其他地區。如此不但可豐富學生學習經驗,也有助提高學校知名度。

Threats
The economy in Europe is weak
可能會影響畢業生就業市場。

個人淺見,謹供參考
Anne
IESE Class 2012

谢谢LZ

many thanks

mark

thanks

thanks

thanks