返回列表 发帖

NYU Stern MBA R1 Interview Questions

Most interviews are intended to last 30 minutes (some go as long as 40).  They are conducted by admission commitee members only.  I interviewed with a "senior associate admissions director."  The conversation is very friendly.  She took very few notes (which at the time to me could be good or bad).   She definitely knows my application from inside out.  

When we sat down she smiled and said "so you play the guitar?"  (She was referring to part of my essay 3).  "When/how did you start and what kind of songs do you play?"

Then the interview moved to real business:

Tell me about how you ended up at your current role (job)?

What's your post-MBA career goal?

From the past some where asked  "How do you think Stern will help you achieve [your post-MBA goal]?

How is your new career goal different from your current role? (to see if you are prepared to make a transfer)

What 5 companies do you want to work for after MBA? (almost caught me offguard especially when I said 4 and she said "you only said 4")!!!

What's your preferred post MBA company to work for and WHY? (almost caught me offguard because this is a surprise question)

What other schools are you applying to?

If all the schools accept you, HOW would you make your decision?

What makes Stern's culture different from other schools?

What if your top choice career goal is not available (your back up plans)?

Back up plan number 2?  (almost caught me offguard again)

What else would you like to address the adcom?

Questions for me? (I asked 4, I think 4-5 is good enough).

These are some questions another applicant (who interviewed the same day I did but he did it with another admissions officer).
Besides some of the questions I received, he also received:

Tell me about one teamwork experiece...

Tell me about a time you resolved a conflict/challenge...

Tell me about one leadership experiece...

What extracurricular activities will you participate in?

From talking to friends in the past, these are some reasons why people were rejected after interview:

Unprofessional / cocky / rude.

Forgot to go through essays, resume again to answer questions clearly.

Fail the Why Stern question.

Answered "Why Stern" with "because other schools are bad..."

Fail the post MBA career goal question / Fail the if primary choice doesn't work out, backup plan question.

Accidentally said "I am applying to Stern because I didn't get into Wharton"

Clearly cannot communicate effectively in English.

Remember that Stern's interviews are very functional.  They focus on "Why Stern, have you already thought of Post-MBA career/Can you get a job."  Stern doesn't want people who show signs of using them as a backup or people who will become unemployed after MBA.
收藏 分享

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%

查看