返回列表 发帖

In@Kellogg加我的申请心得(Essay写作,interview准备等)

Actually got the congratulations letter last Thursday. Special thanks to Laoya, who helped me greatly and really sorry for blaming you before; also special thanks to JJ, LL, MS, SB, PP, NN…

Sorry for the late post as I also want to write some of my tips concurrently but really busy these days. Just finished summarizing tips.

1 Essay

§For Kellogg essay 1, I think what the most important thing is the logic flow from your first job to your current job and finally to ST and LT career goal, which should not only read smooth and easy to follow but also make sense and natural. I do not think Kellogg expect any super touching story or wording but clear statement of your past journey, so focus on the logic; and in Why Kellogg, focus on just one special area, but explain this specific area to the deepest extent you can, do not try to cover as much areas as possible-doing so is more likely to lead you to a superficial and unpersuasive answer; do remember to have a mention of teamwork

§For Kellogg essay 2, please note it asks leadership experiences, so it suggests you should talk at least 2 stories; in all your leadership stories, please try to depict a consistent leadership style from different angles and do not forget to summarize what you have accomplished , what you have learnt or what you have realized from each specific example. In choosing the stories, try to choose those that can make you read like a visionary, influencing, going-beyond authority, motivating, persuasive and caring leader. And link what you want to improve regarding leadership to what you have learnt from the stories. Also do not forget to let the reader feel you are very collaborative and can play well in a team

§For Kellogg essay 3, this is the hardest one from my perspective as you should not only demonstrate your uniqueness in terms of both content and description but also make yourself sounds fit for the school. Hard to give a fit-for-all summary, what I can say is just to sit down, think about your personality, hobbies, strength, working style…list it on a paper, choose the ones that you think match the school and you have the confidence to write it to catch the eyeball of reader

§For Kellogg essay 4, I choose the “unpopular decision” one. Clearly describe how tough the situation is, how big the pressure is or how huge defense you are facing, and then how you use your communication skills, smart action plan or practice to persuade and solidify a team to go along with you. Finally, also remember to emphasize what you have learnt is important for a cohesive team.

2 Recommendation letter

§Do not care too much about the title or fame of the recommender. Choose those who 1) worked with you for long and knows you well;2)willing to help you and you are sure he or she will write something good of you; 3) easy to communicate and can amend the recommendation letter according to your review; 4) a native English-speaker may add some points since it at least proved your ability to work in a English-dominant environment; 5) provide your recommender some key bullet points and supporting examples to make sure what they say is vivid and consistent with your essay.

3. Interview

§Do not care too much of the form of interview. I was actually waived one week before CNY and got phone interview request during CNY. I saw many people say no chemistry to talk with Adcom and do not like phone interview. But sometimes, mental hint will take effect. If you feel you do not like it from the very start, you tend to feel nervous or upset about it and cannot perform naturally. So never think phone interview will put you to a disadvantage, just be prepared and then relax (I know saying is easy but not necessarily doing). Someone also say we cannot see the feedback of the interviewer on phone and do not know how to channel the whole process, but in some cases you can feel sth from the voice and tones of the interviewer. For example, when I heard one of my answers took my interviewer to laugh, I added more details and even a joke to make it more interesting to her and make the interview not that boring. When I heard she say wonderful, excellent, I added more recipe to the story. And you can even channel the interview by saying “ would you like to know…”if you think the interview has got away from the track you want. Most importantly, be natural, be yourself and don’t be nervous (remember紧张真的是大忌,因为我觉得任何学校都很看重leadership,而leader assumed should be临危不乱,如果interview紧张,会让interviewer觉得遇事不够沉着镇定)

§My interview Qs

1.Undergraduate experience

2.Is your first internship at XX determined you career path

3.Career progression

4.Weakness

5.Any misconception other people have about you

6.Why MBA, Why Kellogg

7.Career goal

8.Leadership style, list of leadership experience and one example of leadership

9.Anything others you want to share?

10.Q&A

§差点忘了提,interview也要记得表现出和essay的一致性