返回列表 发帖

[分享]NYU Stern MBA Interview Tips

1. Background about yourself.
Formy undergraduate studies, I attended the Richard Ivey School ofBusiness at the University of Western Ontario, a general managementbusiness program. I then spent 2.5 years working as a Senior ResearchAssistant at Standard & Poor’s. After working in finance for 2.5years, I wanted to tackle the world of entertainment, which is my firstlove in life. I had been singing in professional organizations for thepast 15 years and wanted to pursue a career in the business-side ofentertainment. NYU Stern was the only MBA program I applied to becausethey have the best media & entertainment specialization and I wasconfident that Stern could help me achieve my professional aspirations.At Stern, I interned at HBO, NBC Universal and post graduation I founda position in Strategic Marketing at NBC Universal, where I amcurrently still employed. I also finished with a 3.9 GPA as a SternScholar and placed in the top 5% of the class.

2.How has been your experience at NYU Stern? Has Stern met all yourcareer and personal aspirations? What do you like the most at NYU Stern?
NYUStern was a fantastic experience, and even thought I graduated in arecession, it met my career and personal aspirations. The schoolabsolutely permits the achievement of goals; however, the onus is onthe individual, of course, to fulfill these goals. I wanted to changecareers from finance to entertainment, which is difficult to do. Sternhas many ways of getting involved in the entertainment industry, whichmakes career changes easier. For example, I was accepted into theIndustry Mentoring Initiative; this was a small group of students whowere switching careers that were mentored by executives from differentdivisions of Time Inc. Stern also has a Media, Entertainment and SportsAssociation that went on treks to various media companies in both NewYork and Los Angeles. This club was critical in the success of mycareer change.
Stern met my personal aspirations. I wanted tolive in New York City for my whole life, and living and studying inGreenwich Village was a dream come true. The friends I made will befriends for life, and I was very fortunate to meet a group of smart,talented and down to earth students to share in the two years at Stern.
My favorite aspect of my experience was attending the CannesFilm Festival in France – a course at Stern that takes a group ofstudents to the festival in May and educates them on the business offilm transactions. The festival was a once in a lifetime experience,and on top of that, it’s a great piece of information to tell potentialemployers!

3. What is theimportance of interviews in the overall selection process at NYU Stern?Is it a make or break after the interview? Or, does it form a parameterin the applicant's candidature?
The interview is of critical importance in the selection process. Stern prides itself on having “down to earth and down to business”students, which is why the interview is crucial. Admissions officersconsistently say that it doesn’t matter how good a candidate is onpaper – it’s the personality and professionalism that counts. Sternloves to put its students in front of industry professionals and itwants to have top notch professionalism, and personalities representingthe school.

4. How should a potential candidate prepare for the NYU Stern interviews?
A candidate should do the following to prepare for NYU Stern interviews.

Be able to discuss 3 clubs or organizations of interest that you would like to join at Stern.
Be able to convey your career goals succinctly. Know your back-up career plan.
Become familiar with New York City, and be able to discuss some of the things you are excited to do when living in New York.
Meetalumni from the school and discuss this in your interview. Stern loveswhen people want Stern as their first choice, so it’s important to showthat you’ve done your homework and love the school.
Think about3 or 4 goals that you want to accomplish at Stern and be able todiscuss them. For example, become a teaching assistant, go on the Japantrek, specialize in X, become a Stern Scholar, etc.
Learn about the professors at Stern; many of them are in the news and important figures in business.

5. What dress code would you suggest for the NYU Stern interview?

Men: A nice suit with a dress shirt, you don’t need to wear a tie but you can.
Women: Skirt and blouse or suit (pants or skirt) with brightly colored blouse.

6. What are the three typical mistakes that the candidates commit during the NYU Stern interviews?
1.A sense of entitlement. Stern does not like people who think theydeserve to get into the School without working for their admission.
2. Attitude. Cockiness will not get you in. Stern like humble people with great personalities.
3.Canned responses. The interview is very conversational, so applicantsmust go with the flow. Do your research, but don’t memorize yourresponses, as it could come across as unnatural.

7. What are the three tricky questions that a candidate can face in the NYU Stern interviews?
1. What are you least looking forward to about NYU Stern?
2. How do you function in a dysfunctional team and what is your role in groups?
3. What are you going to do if Career Plan A and Career Plan B fails?

8. Any suggestions on the steps after the interview?
Emaila thank-you note to your interviewer. If you and your interview bondedon a certain topic, tie it into your thank-you. For example, if youboth love to cook, send your favorite recipe. If there was an answeryou stumbled on during your interview, mention that you’ve beenresearching X, since the interview. Be humble and grateful.

9. Would mock interviews help the potential candidates in their interview preparation?
Mockinterviews would absolutely help, but the best preparation is speakingwith alumni and learning about their experiences in order to help youformulate your Stern game-plan. I.e. learn from people who actuallywent to Stern what clubs are the best to join for Sales & Trading,which courses you want to take, which professors you must have, whichtreks to attend. This will help you come off as very educated aboutStern and help you develop your MBA goals and strategies, which arevery important to discuss in your interview.

10. Any special advice to international applicants on their NYU Stern interviews?
Sternwants students who want Stern. International students should scheduleon-campus interviews. This shows that you are serious about coming toStern. International students should reach out to other applicants intheir area and during the interview, discuss how you have been meetingpotential students from your area. International students must be ableto discuss their intentions in the U.S. Do you want to work in the U.S.post-graduation or work abroad? What companies do you want to work for?If English is not your native language, make sure you conduct mockinterviews. Research where Stern takes treks and if it is in your homecountry and mention that you would like to help organize the trip orgive advice on where they should go to eat, etc.

11. What advice would you give to potential NYU Stern applicants who are applying this year?
Itis very important to know why you want to attend Stern, what your planis for when you are there and what you want to achieve. This should allcome out in your written application and in your interview. Beconfident, but not cocky. Creativity is highly regarded, so takeliberties with essay #3 and don’t hold back! Given the recession,applications will be up, so the more research you do on the school andthe more detail you can discuss Stern’s offerings, the better offyou’ll be.

12. Last question, how would you differentiate NYU vs. Columbia?
NYUand Columbia can be best differentiated by the student body andlocation. NYU students are better known as being more down to earth andcollegial. Columbia is known for having a more competitive studentbody. NYU prides itself on its location in downtown Manhattan andhaving access to the top recruiters in New York City.
Good luck!

收藏 分享
菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

thanks for sharing!

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%

查看