返回列表 发帖
hi, Mr. Wang, I have two questions. First, I have taken GMAT 3 times in 6 years, will admissions people think there is something wrong with me? And second, since one of those past scores is still current, will it be averaged with, or replaced by the new score? Thank you.
“张华考上了北京大学;李萍进了中等技术学校;我在百货公司当售货员:我们都有光明的前途。”——《新华字典》1998年修订本P673……

<B>以下是引用<I>sunnyrain</I>在2004-8-27 12:29:00的发言:</B>
hi, Mr. Wang, I have two questions. First, I have taken GMAT 3 times in 6 years, will admissions people think there is something wrong with me? And second, since one of those past scores is still current, will it be <I>averaged with</I>, or <I>replaced by</I> the new score?

Thank you.

Thanks for your inquiries.

First of all, ETS (the GMAT test administrator) will only send the schools the scores from the past 5 years. As a result, the admissions committees will never see the score from 1997.

If your second score shows a marked improvement, the admissions committees will not think there is anything wrong with you. Furthermore, nearly all schools take your highest score and several will take the highest score from each section of the GMAT. For example, if test A has a higher quantitative score than test B, and test B has a higher verbal score, the school would take the with Q score from test A and the V score from test B. Very few schools will average your 2 GMAT scores.

Thank you.

Best of luck with your applications!
H.S.Wang
Your future. Our mission.
MySpace: http://forum.topway.org/sns/?11416
WeChat:6711025
Weibo:  laowang_topway

<B>以下是引用<I>brilliance</I>在2004-8-27 21:44:00的发言:</B>

<P>hi,Wang, 我有个问题,在某一轮次的申请中,是不是材料交的越早,越有利呢?譬如,在deadline前一天提交材料是不是不太好呢?</P>
<P>谢谢</P>

Thanks for your inquiry.

Good question. The general answer is no. The particulars to consider are:

1. Be certain your essays, references, etc. are perfected.
2. Determine if you are the type of applicant who will incessantly tweak your story and applications, perhaps for the worst by second-guessing yourself.
3. Project the likelihood you will receive a promotion or have some other accomplishment between the date of application submission and the end of that round.

Sincerely,
H.S.Wang

Hi, Mr. Wang

I have a question about the Stern application. They ask for a resume including educational and professional information, as well as an Employment History which includes responsibilities at each position. Its seems that the Employment History will be redundant with the resume. How should the two items be structured, in your opinion, to avoid this problem? Thanks in advance for your response.

mialanhero

<B>以下是引用<I>mialanhero</I>在2004-8-28 20:31:00的发言:</B>

<P>Hi, Mr. Wang</P>
<P>I have a question about the Stern application. They ask for a resume including educational and professional information, as well as an Employment History which includes responsibilities at each position. Its seems that the Employment History will be redundant with the resume. How should the two items be structured, in your opinion, to avoid this problem? Thanks in advance for your response.</P>
<P>mialanhero
</P>

This is a good question. The employment history allows you to provide more details about specific accomplishments, levels of responsibility and leadership accomplishments. It is also the best place to explain your career progression and why you left one employer for another.

The resume is more of a one page (most of the time anyway) executive summary of your career with some bullet points.

Sincerely,
H.S.Wang

本人有个问题,GMAT中的AWA分数到底有多重要?如果VERBAL不错,是不是不用担心AWA的低分了呢?

Thanks,

“张华考上了北京大学;李萍进了中等技术学校;我在百货公司当售货员:我们都有光明的前途。”——《新华字典》1998年修订本P673……

<B>以下是引用<I>sunnyrain</I>在2004-8-29 13:51:00的发言:</B>

<P>本人有个问题,GMAT中的AWA分数到底有多重要?如果VERBAL不错,是不是不用担心AWA的低分了呢?</P>
<P>Thanks,
</P>

Thanks for your inquiries. It is true that it is becoming more popular amongst admissions officers and some schools (the best known is probably Yale SOM) scrutinize it rather closely due to concerns about applicants getting outside help with essays.

But after all, perfect essays and good verbal scores can counteract the negative effect of low AWA. Thus you'better put your time and energy to your essay writing now, if you have no time to retake the test.

Sincerely,
H.S. Wang

<B>以下是引用<I>topbuilder</I>在2004-8-29 16:51:00的发言:</B>
Hi, I graduated from a top university in China with a 2.8 GPA. For the past 4 years I have been working for a leading comapny as a technology consultant. My GMAT score is 680. I was wondering what my chances are of getting into a top 20 business school program considering I have a low GPA and relatively low GMAT score.Thanks.

Honestly, I'm most worried about your work experience. If you are an IT consultant, your biggest hurdle will likely be differentiating yourself from the many other IT applicants.

Given this applicant weakness right out of the box, it probably makes sense for you to take some measures to allay concerns about academic qualifications.

Don't hesitate to contact me directly if you would like professional assistance with your situation. We offer admissions consultation and essay ghostwriting service and can help you draw up a detailed action plan to ensure you are optimally positioned for your future applications.

Best of luck with your future applications!

Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

<B>以下是引用<I>gladiator</I>在2004-8-30 14:09:00的发言:</B>
<P>Hi, Mr. Wang, </P>
<P>Last year, I was on the waitlist at HBS until the final days. This year, I want to re-apply to HBS. </P>
<P>I am wondering whether HBS will re-interview me or just use the interview from last year? </P>
<P>Do you know what HBS does in terms of re-interviewing people who were on the waitlist from the previous year?</P>
<P>Many thanks! </P>

First of all, I hope you took an informed and objective look at your previous application and determined how your story could be tightened, weaknesses mitigated, and strengths highlighted before reapplying.

About 99% of the time HBS will re-interview re-applicants. This year, HBS is not reviewing previous applications, so I hope you highlighted that you are a re-applicant who was interviewed and waitlisted the previous year.

Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-8-30 15:28:59编辑过]

<B>以下是引用<I>topbuilder</I>在2004-8-30 18:57:00的发言:</B>
<P>Dear Wang,</P>
<P>Thanks for your valuable answer! </P>
<P>But I am wondering what kind of things would differentiate an IT/engineering applicant from other applicants in the same field. I'm not seeing too many opportunities to demonstate the usual desired skills in business, such as leadership, or outstanding "business-related" accomplishments holding an entry-level engineer or technician position.</P>
<P>Thanks! </P>
<P>Topbuilder

</P>

Thanks for your inquiry.

If you are applying to the selective b-schools, you will need to show that somehow you have already reached the same level of maturity and career progression (teamwork, leadership, etc.) as the older applicants against whom you are competing. It may well be that the best you will be able to achieve is rejection with encouragement? i.e. a ding that encourages you to reapply in x years. It is very rare for such an individual to be rejected as a re-applicant.

The usual desired skills are a huge advantage if you can find a way to spin them into your story. Lacking those, you will have to use extracurricular activities and good introspection to differentiate your candidacy.

Sincerely,
H.S.Wang

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-8-30 22:46:04编辑过]

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%