返回列表 发帖
QUOTE:
以下是引用shenkangchao在2009-1-7 15:52:00的发言:
Hi, I have some questions. 1, I got 760 in GMAT, master degree in UK, nearly 3years experience in a famous international corporation. But is it too late to apply for MBA in 2009? 2, I majored in computer science. Is that not good for applying MBA? Thanks

Hi, sorry for late reply.

You have a very competitive background, but since there is little chance for international applicants to get admitted in Round Three, I strongly recommend you apply for Round One in 2009. Please remember the best time to act is when you're well prepared. For your second question, undergraduate major is for sure nothing relevant to admission decision. The adcom will only consider your GPA, and sometimes which univeristy you graduated from (famous institutes have some advantage). More important is your GMAT, your work experience (professional accomplishments), and how successfully you can market yourself through essay and interview.

Best of luck with your application!

H.S.Wang

Your future. Our mission.
MySpace: http://forum.topway.org/sns/?11416
WeChat:6711025
Weibo:  laowang_topway

QUOTE:
以下是引用gzdavid在2009-1-17 23:40:00的发言:

Dear wang,

I'm a forth year student studying marketing at a not famous university,and my GPA is about 2.9 without GMAT score(suppose it ranged from 650 to 700).But my last 2 years' GPA is above 3.5.The reason that my GPA is so low is that my first 2 years GPA is only 2.2,while after a lot of hard work my GPA in last 2 years finally soared to 3.5 as you can see.And I'm going to graduate this june.Can I apply top 20 or even top 10 USA b-school after working for 2--5 years? What category of corporate do I work for would really help my application?

Thanks a lot!

Hi, thank you for your question.

Of course, you can apply to top 20 or even top 10 US MBA program. GPA won't be the major obstacle on your journey toward a top MBA. The adcom will fully understand your academic context if you can explain it well in optional essay. Some adimssion officers like to see applicants' academic performance in last two years, and almost all admission officers appreciate a rise-up performing curve. So no need to worry about your GPA. Anyway, I suggest you work about 3-4 years before applying an MBA. The longer you work, the less negative impact a low GPA will have on your application. As for choosing what type of company, it's up to your professional interest and your vision about your future. B-schools always emphasize the diversity of their student body. So, although consulting firms, I-banks, and fast comsumer companies contribute the majority of top MBA students, the key is how you can do well in your post and what impact you can achieve in your company no matter what industry it belongs to.

Best of luck with your future application!

H.S.Wang

QUOTE:
以下是引用stubor在2009-5-25 20:16:00的发言:
HSWang,

你好。请允许我用中文请教您一些问题。
国内著名大学本科毕业,GPA 3.5。德国大学化学硕士毕业,GPA 3.8。有两年半的著名咨询公司工作经验。今天刚刚考完GMAT,成绩不是非常理想(730)。
我想问的是:
1,鉴于今年严峻的形势,如果我要申请HBS和Wharton这两所我心仪的学校,这个GMAT分数会不会不够?
2,我申请的时候是应该更注重国内本科的GPA还是德国硕士阶段的GPA?
3,我的TOFEL成绩已经过期了,现在还需要重考么?

目前只想到这几个问题,还请您不吝赐教。谢谢!

Hi Stubor,

It's my pleasure to anwer your questions.

1) Though the score of GMAT is viewed as one of the best predictors of academic success, admission officers of top MBA programs typically give only a 20-30 percent weight to the score alone. The more important factors are your professional background, your application essay, and your performance in interview. A score of 700+ is enough for getting into any top b-school, no matter it is HBS or Wharton. 

2) Your undergraduate GPA will be given more weight than your graduate GPA. However, since both your GPAs are high indeed and unable to change, I suggest you spend time and energy in where you can make real improvements.

3) I suggest you re-take the TOEFL ASAP. It seems that you are not eligible for a TOEFL waiver as Gemany is not an English-speaking country. But you'd better write to the admission office to have the right anwer. 

Best of luck with your application! 

H.S.Wang  

QUOTE:
以下是引用howard1127在2009-6-21 18:28:00的发言:

Hi HSW,

i'm looking to apply to US top 10 MBA next fall, below are my stats, what do I need to do to overcome my weak gpa?

GPA: 2.6

GMAT: will take by year end (aiming 700+)

W/E: 3 years in top ibank as analyst, 2 years as trader/analyst in fund house (rank top 3 by morningstar out of 100+ funds within same category)

Professional title: CFA, CAIA

Post graduate degree:  Executive diploma in M&A, Graduate with Distinction

Extra Curriculum:  Co-founder and treasurer of student club back in uni. and volunteer experience

My biggest concern is obviously my weak gpa back in university, i had to work 2 jobs throughout university to help pay for tuition (work roughly 40 hours a week) and back then the thought of mba never crossed my mind.  I heard most grad school will ding applicants with low gpa, is there any way for me to go around it?  I still have 1 year before applying, what's your suggestion to strengthen up my resume further?

Do you see if i have any chance at all in getting into wharton, columbia, kellogg, MIT??

many thanks for your help!

Thanks for your inquiry. Yes, a 2.6 GPA will be of concern to the adcom. But I never think a low GPA alone can lead to a "ding" decision.

There are many ways you can do to counteract the effect of low GPA and even turn it into an advantage that is appealing to adcom.
First, aim at a 700+ GMAT as you've determined. In adcom's eyes, GMAT is much more important than GPAs from a Chinese university.
Second, showcase your diploma in M&A with disctinction and professional certificates such as CFA.
And most importantly, use the optional essay to explain why you had achieved a 2.6 GPA. Tell stories here. Don't stay on pure, drab explanation. You should take it as an opportunity to strenthen your candidacy.

As long as you deal well with the GPA problem and turn out winning essays and interview, I am confident about your chance of getting accepted at W, C, K, M.

Good luck!

Best regards,
HS.W

QUOTE:
以下是引用howard1127在2009-6-22 22:31:00的发言:

Hi HSW, thanks so much for the prompt reply, really appreciate it!

i just have one more question regarding extra-curriculum activities...

I read that adcom loves interesting stories in this part of the application, there are olympic athletes, secret agents, people who climbed mount everest, 28 year-old who built multi-million company....etc

If i'm competing with the top candidates from around the world, do you have any suggestions that perhaps there are things we chinese can do in the extra-curriculum category to make our application stand out?  (i have some thoughts on this part, and i'd be happy to discuss with you off line)

can we send pm here?

Hi Howard, you're right. Adcoms always look for diverse and interesting people who will contribute something to the b-school communities, not just a group of analysts who know how to pick a stock. All top schools place a huge emphasis on "diversity". Equally important, telling interesting stories outside of workplace is needed to convey a clear picture of "who you are" to adcom. Such stories can help differentiate you from a big pool of i-bankers. Remember, you can receive "congratualtions" from adcom, not just because you're highly competitve as a future leader, but also because you are different, or you are unique as a person.

BTW: you're welcome to off-line discussion with me. But I suggest you contact Kathy who will help arrange a telephone conversation or a face-to-face meeting. She can be reached by telephone: 010-82864215 or MSN: liuxi_topway@hotmail.com

Best regards,
H.S.W

QUOTE:
以下是引用howard1127在2009-6-29 21:56:00的发言:

Hi HSW,  i was talking to kathy this morning and learnt that you have a small cold, i wish you a speedy recovery.  pls rest well

I also learned that you are pretty busy lately, I was wondering if it's possible to squeeze me in for a quick phone session in the next 2 weeks when your schedule is a bit freed up.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi Howard,
Thanks for your warm greeting. I'm much better than days ago. I look forward to talking to you in about two weeks.

Best regards,
HS.W 

QUOTE:
以下是引用BlackTreee在2010-2-4 16:32:00的发言:

看了前面楼主对于每个问题详细的回复,真是佩服。

我也有一个问题想咨询楼主:

我的Undergra和Postgra都是在英国读的,其中Postgra是一间英国的TOP5;工作方面有2年industry (H.K: Top logistics company) - Business Analyst 以及2年 “四大会计师事务所”的Management Consulting的经验; G: 740, T:105

请问我这样的背景申请INSEAD如何?是否还有其他的学校推荐?(欧洲,亚洲)

谢谢楼主!

Hi BlackTreee! Thanks for your question.

Undoubtedly your background is fine and meets requirement of most top schools. In Europe, you may try INSEAD, LBS, IMD or Cambridge and Oxford; in Asia, I would only recommend CEIBS, considering that you have received both under and master in Britain.

However, please be aware background and some beautiful numbers can never guarantee a top school admission. In the next step, you abilities to market yourself will be the key. I would suggest you invest considerable time to learn how to write winning admission essays. Your chance of getting into top school will largely depend on your performance thru essay and interview. 

If you would like to gain more insights into your candidacy, please fill out the "Topway Online Evaluation Form" and you will receive constructive comments from a consultant of Topway.   

I hope I have been of some help to you.....

All the best!
H.S.Wang

Hi, I studied in France at got my Master of Engineering in Electrical Engineering in 2008 with GPA > ...
ivychacha 发表于 2010-3-23 19:43

Hi, sorry for late reply. Actually, I was asked the same question millions of times by young applicants or those with less-than-2-year work experience. I understand them: with no official management title or no chance to lead. But leadership is nothing about "title" or "position". Even if you are an intern, you can "lead" senior colleauges or the top management. The key here is INFLUENCE! You can form influence by selling ideas, letting your voice heard, motivating others to achieve higher goals, mentoring others with what you know, and many things you're able to do with initiative. That's leadership potential that all b-schools are looking for from MBA applicants.

I hope I have been of some help to you.....

All the best!
H.S.Wang

你好,不知道现在还有解答吗?
我的情况是:
GPA:本2.6,硕3.3
工作经验:4年,500强台湾企业
职位:高 ...
alexkaka 发表于 2010-7-2 08:59

刚看完巴西被荷兰淘汰的比赛,说两句。。

首先需要肯定的是,你的各项硬件指标(除了本科GPA有点低,但不是致命伤)都满足进入top school的条件。但这并不意味着你一定能进。有一位某top school的admission director说过,申请我们学校的70%申请人都是qualified,但是我们只能录取10%的那部分最独特的、最有潜力的、能给我们的community带来difference的人。 所以,你该明白,不是不可以问诸如“我这样的条件可以进top20” 的问题,但更有意义的问题或事情是思考自己是否适合MBA、是否需要MBA?一旦这个问题想清楚了,就可以进一步思考如何向b-school推销自己、包装自己,使自己能够在众多的engineer申请人中stand out。祝好运!

回复  hsWang

谢谢你的解答,我也是在想为什么要去读MBA。可能仅仅是想丰富自己的经历,当职业到 ...
alexkaka 发表于 2010-7-5 09:08

关于why mba, 100个人有100个不同的理由,你的理由很充分,so开始努力吧。。。可能你最大的瓶颈是你的纯技术背景,但这也是你的优势,比如逻辑分析能力和解决问题的能力,还有team work等。你可能会说leadership经验不足,但我要说leadership无处不在,一个engineer同样可以成为一个有潜力的leader。加油!

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%

查看