返回列表 发帖

[申请攻略] [分享]2008 Kellogg MBA Admissions Chat

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:00:16 PM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com’s first Kellogg Admissions Chat. I also want to welcome our special guests today:  

• Beth Flye, Kellogg’s Assistant Dean and Director of Admissions and Financial Aid 
  • Leigh Nagy Frasher, Associate Director of Kellogg's Career Management Center
  • Justin Dean, Kellogg student.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:00:55 PM)
Just a little more info on Justin so you can better direct your questions: Justin Dean is currently a 2nd year student enrolled in the MMM Program, a dual degree MBA/Master Engineering Management option at the Kellogg School of Management. He recently completed his summer internship at the Boston Consulting Group and looks forward to pursuing a career in management consulting following graduation. At Kellogg, Justin is an active leader within the Consulting Club, Black Management Association and MMM Student Executive Committee. Prior to Kellogg, he held engineering, project management and corporate strategy roles within the energy sector. Justin holds a BS in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Virginia.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:01:00 PM)
Linda, thank you for inviting my colleagues and me!

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:01:06 PM)
You're welcome!

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 1:01:19 PM)
Hi everyone!

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:01:20 PM)
Hi everyone.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:01:29 PM)
Thanks to everyone for joining.  This is your chance to ask questions about reapplying and Kellogg.

TrevorMi (Sep 12, 2007 1:02:45 PM)
Hi Beth, I was wondering, given the same profile, will a Gmat score of 680 vs 710 vs 740 vs 790 make a difference?

singhgauravk (Sep 12, 2007 1:02:53 PM)
Hi Justin, as per you what is unique to the MBA experience at Kellogg's???

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:03:00 PM)
TrevorMi- It depends, what I mean is that there is so much other information that we are taking into account when we evaluate an application. Of course you want to have the best score you can, but we do not anchor on the GMAT or any one area of criteria during an application evaluation.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:03:17 PM)
Leigh, How is recruiting going this year?

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:04:50 PM)
Linda, Recruiting for students hasn't started yet, it will in September when classes start, but things are looking very good so far.

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 1:05:07 PM)
The Kellogg MBA experience is unique due to the familial culture that is fostered here. Despite having nearly 500 fellow colleagues in my class, I feel like I have good relationship with nearly everyone.

abhishekg (Sep 12, 2007 1:05:10 PM)
Beth: I wanted to know if Kellogg has any specific guidance regarding the font size, margins, etc for submitted essays as one - two pages are a little vague.

sumit_arora (Sep 12, 2007 1:05:26 PM)
Leigh: hi, I'm 28 M , India, 3.5+ years work ex in management consulting+ strategic planning, Now I want to start a venture of my own in US, would like to know how specifically an MBA from Kellogg help me

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:05:49 PM)
Abhishekg, there is no specific requirement though I would recommend the standard 12 font and I advise against a tiny or very large font!.

thinkpad (Sep 12, 2007 1:05:58 PM)
Justin: in what aspects is Kelloggs better than top competing b schools like Harvard/ Stanford?

Sergio (Sep 12, 2007 1:06:22 PM)
Beth, the probability to be accepted in case of applying in the first round is the same of applying in the second round?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:06:51 PM)
Based on historical data from recent years, I would say yes.  I recommend applying for one of the first two rounds but it is most important to apply when you are ready.

Newman (Sep 12, 2007 1:07:05 PM)
Beth: Is it best to wait for your interview until after you take the GMAT?

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:07:29 PM)
Sumit, you will have access to the Levy center which focuses on entrepreneurial programs, and access to the rich alumni database.

Jamie (Sep 12, 2007 1:07:56 PM)
Hi Beth - I was wondering if you could comment on the importance of undergrad GPA/performance. Specifically, I am looking to find out if the AdCom wants to know about difficult circumstances that affected performance in class, or is that too much information?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:08:19 PM)
Hi Jamie.  Undergraduate performance is important as it is a helpful indicator of future academic performance.   If an applicant is concerned about his/her undergraduate performance, I highly recommend providing us with more information about that.  which can be done in the "optional" section of the application and/or during the interview. The more we know about your background and any pertinent circumstances the better decision we will ultimately make.

abhishekg (Sep 12, 2007 1:08:32 PM)
Leigh: Can you elaborate on a specific entrepreneurial program that is unique to Kellogg?

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 1:09:39 PM)
From a student perspective, Kellogg has many strengths. First and foremost the culture that exists here between students, faculty and staff is amazing. Everyone is extremely friendly and wants to see everyone else succeed. Additionally, the academic curriculum allows for a lot of flexibility to explore a variety of different topics of study during your two years here. Finally, the network of Kellogg alums is extremely strong globally and they are especially helpful in career progression and development.

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:10:15 PM)
Abishek, There is much more information than I can give at the site: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/academic/entrepreneurship/research/levy.htm

anupmm (Sep 12, 2007 1:10:22 PM)
Justin: What did you not like at Kellogg?? (i hope the AdCom wont mind this)

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:10:30 PM)
Justin, I would add what did you like? Both are worth knowing.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:12:19 PM)
Hi Balika.  If you requested an alumni interview you should receive a response from our office about that approximately 3-5 weeks after the R1 application deadline date And, you are welcome to interview on campus if you wish the only requirement for both types of interviews is the submission of Part 1 of your application

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:12:26 PM)
Justin, how has Kellogg's emphasis on teamwork manifested itself?

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 1:12:40 PM)
Anupmm, I think the toughest thing that we're dealing with right now is space. Our facilities here are great, but we're closing in on capacity in our existing building. Luckily, we are in the process of designing a new state of the art facility that will be completed in the upcoming years to alleviate this problem.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:12:48 PM)
Leigh, are you anticipating the same number of interviews this year for internships and full-time positions as last year?

mba_applier (Sep 12, 2007 1:13:33 PM)
Hi Beth, Kellogg is my first choice - I applied last year in the 3rd round and was wait listed - wondering if you might have specific advice about how best to address the: "Since your previous application, what are the steps you’ve taken to strengthen your candidacy?" question.

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:13:50 PM)
Linda, right now we are on track with about the same number of interviews.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:14:15 PM)
Hi MBA Applier, and I appreciate your strong interest in Kellogg. My recommendation is to provide any updates or other information since your last application that you believe would be helpful for us to know, ie a job promotion, new GMAT score, etc.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:14:24 PM)
Beth, Leigh and Justin, can each of you comment on the MMM program? Justin, I know you are in both programs.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:14:42 PM)
Beth, what are the differences between the MBA and MMM program from an admissions perspective?

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:14:53 PM)
Leigh, what are the differences from a career management perspective?

thinkpad (Sep 12, 2007 1:15:46 PM)
Justin: What is the precise difference in MBA and MMM program?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:15:56 PM)
Justin, you should go first to respond to this question:-)

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 1:16:16 PM)
The MMM program is a great addition to the typical Kellogg 2Y MBA. The program supplements the typical business school classes with additional classes in design, innovation and operations. I see it as having all of the benefits of a normal MBA plus additional engineering management and design benefits.

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:16:45 PM)
Linda, from my perspective the MMM program is a great program both to prepare students and attract employers to campus. The great thing is that the program prepares students to go into a variety of functions and industries - General Management programs at manufacturing companies, to investment banking, to consulting.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:17:02 PM)
The MMM Program provides more of a foundation in product design the training in this area is through the course work that a student would complete at the McCormick School of Engineering at Northwestern.  The MMM Program provides a great advantage to students since they will earn both the MBA and the MEM in 2 years.

收藏 分享

2008 Kellogg MBA Admission Chat

sumit_arora (Sep 12, 2007 1:17:29 PM)
Hi Leigh, How specifically can alumni base help me?

sumit_arora (Sep 12, 2007 1:19:23 PM)
Beth - I am a re-applicant. I have changed my career goals since the last time I applied to Kellogg. Should I mention in essay/optional info the reason behind such change.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:19:36 PM)
By the way, for those of you interested in learning more about the MMM Program, we will host our annual MMM Day, an open house event that will take place on October 19th.  Just email us at mbaadmissions@kellogg.northwestern.edu for more information.

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:20:40 PM)
Sumit, we have a very passionate alumni base that is very involved with current Kellogg students. Many students who have non-traditional plans (starting up their own thing, going into industries such as media or non profit) will reach out to our alumni through our alumni database for informational interviews to learn more about the industry or their experiences in starting up their own business.  We also have an official alumni mentoring program that you can sign up for to develop a relationship with alums who are doing what you want to do. Their advice and connections have been very helpful to non-traditional students. I'm always surprised at how willing our alums are to help out our current students.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:21:00 PM)
Hi Sumit.  I definitely encourage you to provide us with information related to your change in career goals compared to that information in your previous application.  That will help us to have more insight to understand your thinking about your goals post-MBA.

MV (Sep 12, 2007 1:21:11 PM)
Leigh, do VC firms come for recruiting or does one usually get these opportunities through networking?

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:21:35 PM)
Justin, at this point in time, roughly half way through your MBA program, what is the biggest take-away from your Kellogg experience? How are you will you lead or manage differently as a result of it?

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 1:22:10 PM)
As an engineer in undergrad, I didn't have the opportunity to explore a lot of business or leadership courses.  Kellogg has given me an opportunity to develop this part of my skill set and implement it in real world situations.  Additionally, Kellogg has exposed me to a more global perspective on business practices.  So far throughout my first year I've had the opportunity to travel to the UAE, Japan, Southeast Asia and Central America and study business and economies in those areas.

sumit_arora (Sep 12, 2007 1:23:08 PM)
How does 1Yr MBA program fare in comparison to 2 Yr program as far as academic output is concerned?

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:23:36 PM)
Leigh, let's add career impact to the previous question.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:24:06 PM)
Sumit, regarding academic output, are you referring to the depth/breadth of 1Y learning experience?

anupmm (Sep 12, 2007 1:24:25 PM)
Beth: The average work ex at Kellogg is ~ 5 yrs. Can I know as to what are the chances with a good 3 year work ex?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:25:13 PM)
Regarding work experience, what is most important to us is the quality of one's professional work experience.  We have students with a wide range of experiences as well as with a variety of the years of experience. So, if an applicant has 3 years or even less than that of quality work experience, we will definitely give strong consideration to that person, assuming the other components of the application are competitive of course.

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:25:49 PM)
Sumit, I think that the biggest difference between the 1Y and 2Y programs from a career management perspective is that you get the opportunity to do a summer internship in the 2Y program. the 1Y program is especially good for students who know what they want to do coming in and want to stay in a similar career. If you are unclear, or want to make a large career change then the 2Y program is better for you.

anupmm (Sep 12, 2007 1:26:20 PM)
Thanks Beth !

sumit_arora (Sep 12, 2007 1:26:33 PM)
Yes beth, the conceptual understanding, to be precise

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:27:16 PM)
Justin, why did you choose Kellogg? Did it meet your expectations?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:27:41 PM)
We are seeking more high-potential, junior professionals to apply to Kellogg.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:28:21 PM)
Will you accept applicants with no full-time experience? Straight out of college?

MV (Sep 12, 2007 1:28:56 PM)
Beth, for early career applicants, are recommendations from college faculty preferred to supervisors?

Vik (Sep 12, 2007 1:29:10 PM)
Hi Justin,Leigh - a specific question regarding career changers post MBA (and even for summer internships). iBanking and Consulting are competitive fields, and many folks are drawn towards these fields due to amazing learning opportunities and big paycheques. And I got some feedback from friends who were trying to go into those fields that larger banks typically seek out individuals with previous big5 or 10 experience, given the credit crunch situation most of the larger banks/consulting companies are offering limited internships. Now, the career changers feel under immense pressure to outdo the 80-100 so people competing for 15-20 positions (including many people with ibanking/consulting experience), moreover all of this happens within first 6 weeks of 1st year classes. Can you shed some light on such situations experienced by 1st year career changers at Kellogg?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:29:34 PM)
Sumit, our students in the 1Y have equal advantage in pursuing elective courses to tailor their academic program just as the 2Y students do.The academic difference with the 1Y program versus the 2Y program is that there are 7 required courses that 1Y applicants must have already completed to be eligible for this program.  The reason for that is the summer quarter is an intensive academic experience which requires that students need to have a foundation in coursework such as accounting, statistics, finance, economics, etc.; the other three courses are operations, organizational behavior and marketing.

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 1:30:48 PM)
I chose Kellogg because of the academic reputation and team culture here. As an outstanding academic school, I expected the students to be top caliber, but was truly surprised with how helpful and friendly everyone is to each other. While everyone wants to do well, I've never seen anyone refuse to help out a fellow classmate in order to succeed.

thinkpad (Sep 12, 2007 1:31:59 PM)
Beth: I wish to move sectors and want a course emphasizing on healthcare, are their specific subjects/elective that i can choose from?

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:33:06 PM)
I can hear Beth, Justin, and Leigh typing madly. Give them a second.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:33:23 PM)
The 1Y Program is designed for a person who is seeking career enhancement; it is not a program for a career-changer

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 1:33:37 PM)
Vik, once again this is why the culture here is so great. Even in a competitive environment, everyone at Kellogg works together to help everyone achieve their potential. As a leader of the consulting club, we rely primarily on student training and workshops to help prepare everyone for interviews...

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:34:05 PM)
Vik, Kellogg is unique in that almost all of the students going into ibanking are career changers, so you'll be in good company. The alumni at the banks coming to Kellogg to recruit are very aware that students are career changers. There will be networking events starting in October, but I think that one thing that sets Kellogg apart at these events is that students are very collegial to each other and it is not a cutthroat atmosphere. Also, the clubs, second years, our workshops and your classes will prepare you to be able to speak the language of consulting and banking.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:34:22 PM)
Thinkpad, we do have courses focused on healthcare.  We have a Health Industry Management Program, and you can see the required and elective courses for this program by visiting the academics section of our web site.  Also, Professor Joel Shalowitz oversees the HIM program and you are welcome to contact him via email if you have more specific questions you will find his contact information in the faculty directory on our web site.

Anand (Sep 12, 2007 1:34:26 PM)
Leigh: How different is the effect on career prospects from a part time MBA at Kellogg compared to a full time MBA at Kellogg?

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:36:02 PM)
Here is the link to the Health Industry Mgmt Program at Kellogg: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/academic/health/

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 1:36:09 PM)
Vik, in addition as a career changer myself, I never felt at a disadvantage with respect to competing for a consulting internship. Firms are specifically looking to find people from a variety of backgrounds that can think strategically .

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:36:37 PM)
Anand, Part time students have full access to our on and off campus recruiting resources in their final year, as long as they have permission from their employer or can prove that they are paying their own way.

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 1:37:17 PM)
Kreep-o, absolutely not. We have people from a variety of backgrounds (banking, accounting, engineering) the common thread is that everyone is pretty strong analytically and quantitatively.

2007 (Sep 12, 2007 1:37:52 PM)
Hello Beth, I interviewed last year but could not apply to any school due to a family emergency. This year I'm planning to apply to Bschool, and to Kellogg specifically. There have been several new developments in my life...both professionally and personally. What is your interview policy for people like myself?

balika (Sep 12, 2007 1:38:02 PM)
Justin, what teaching methodology does Kellogg employ? Like case study method etc?  Can you elaborate on this with regard to to marketing.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:38:11 PM)
Kreep-O, Justin is correct as we have MMM applicants with a wide variety of professional backgrounds and we welcome that.

brad (Sep 12, 2007 1:38:20 PM)
Leigh: Hello, outside of the Sports Business Club, are there resources specifically devoted to sports management?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:38:30 PM)
Hi 2007, I strongly recommend that you request another interview this year as the interview would be another opportunity for you to educate us about who you are, including any recent developments that you believe would be beneficial for us to know.

menon (Sep 12, 2007 1:39:45 PM)
Hi Justin, I understand that the MMM program offers a very multicultural environment competitive environment. Would you say that this will give me an opportunity to work in for instance, Higher Education ?

KREEP-O (Sep 12, 2007 1:40:03 PM)
Thank you Beth and Justin. The MMM grads - what kind of job offers do they typically get upon graduation? Again, I'm talking about someone who might have had no manufacturing experience prior to Kellogg.

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 1:40:17 PM)
Balika, we focus on experiential learning in addition to the typical case and lecture studies. We have many global programs, such as our Global Immersion in Management class that allows for study of a particular global economy and then culminates with a 2 week trip to that area to meet with various business leaders.

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:41:53 PM)
Beth, how do you use the interview in the admissions process?

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:42:04 PM)
Brad, we have certain sports companies like Nike that come to campus to recruit and others who posts jobs on our Kellogg only job board. Similarly to all of our non-traditional industries as counselors we work very closely one on one with students to design and implement their off campus job search. Last year I worked very closely with a student who solely wanted to work at a baseball franchise and ended up in the main office of the Indians.

burman08 (Sep 12, 2007 1:42:39 PM)
Hi Beth, am a dual major in Marketing and Finance from a top Bschool in India. Presently working in the Retail arm of citigroup. However I am keen to enhance my career in the Merger and Strategy group of citigroup.  Will Kellogg give sufficient opportunities to help me major in specific finance courses?

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 1:42:40 PM)
Menon, the MMM program is focused on logistics management which can be applied across a variety of fields. It aids tremendously in the management of people regardless of industry or field.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:43:02 PM)
The interview serves 2 purposes for us: 1) it is an "up close and personal" way that we can learn more about an applicant;; and 2) it is a marketing opportunity for us to share more about Kellogg.  The written application information is of course very informative about a person, and having an interview summary about the applicant gives us a more holistic perspective about who the person is.

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 1:43:27 PM)
Kreep -o, MMM's have gone on to careers in banking, consulting and marketing in addition to typical manufacturing careers.  Feel free to visit the MMM website for more details around career placement, mmm.northwestern.edu.

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:44:45 PM)
Burman08, I actually worked with a student last year who was in the exact same situation as you (except from a different country) and was able to make this change. Of course he prepared well and did his homework, but he was able to make this transition.

harry (Sep 12, 2007 1:44:55 PM)
Beth: Hi, what is the typical acceptance rate for MMM candidates...

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:45:04 PM)
Hi Harry The admit rate is similar to the selectivity rate for the other full-time programs.  The MMM applicant pool is much smaller in comparison the 2Y program, and that is to be expected since MMM applicants are self-selecting this program.

2007 (Sep 12, 2007 1:45:09 PM)
thanks for your reply Beth. I would absolutely love to interview again. I wanted to clarify this because I was a bit confused by the statement on the Kellogg application from last year that "only reapplicants may request another interview in any 18 month period". I appreciate that we have the option of a fresh interview.

Nitin (Sep 12, 2007 1:45:42 PM)
Also, Beth, I wish to apply to both JD/MBA program and only the MBA program, do I need to make two separate applications?

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:46:00 PM)
Justin, what do you wish you would have done before starting your MBA that would have made the beginning/transition easier? Did you do anything especially effective that helped you?

Nitin (Sep 12, 2007 1:46:59 PM)
Leigh, what sort of prospects does a graduate of JD/MBA will have upon graduation?

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 1:47:28 PM)
I think the one thing that students can do is start exploring careers that they have potential interests in before you get here. Once classes start, everything is moving a mile a minute so the more focused that you can come into business school the better!

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:47:41 PM)
Hi Nitin. You are only allowed to apply to one of our full-time programs in a given application season.

balika (Sep 12, 2007 1:48:00 PM)
Justin, is every student eligible to attend these global programs like the global immersion in management class? Or are there any specific criteria?

KREEP-O (Sep 12, 2007 1:48:13 PM)
Thank you Justin.

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:48:43 PM)
Nitin, JD/MBA's have access to the same opportunities and resources. Many JDMBA's will go into law, while others focus on consulting, banking, private equity, the list goes on.

anupmm (Sep 12, 2007 1:48:49 PM)
Beth: Community service, charity related work.. how important are they?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:49:01 PM)
Nitin, feel free to contact Courtney Desai on our team for more information about the JD-MBA Program.  Her email address is c-desai@kellogg.northwestern.edu.

KREEP-O (Sep 12, 2007 1:49:26 PM)
Beth, does a interview waiver by Kellogg automatically translate into a ding?

balika (Sep 12, 2007 1:49:35 PM)
Beth, can you please tell me about the MBA world tour. Does Kellogg participate in that and if yes then if I opt for an Adcom interview then will that also take place in India, 3-4 weeks post my submission of part I?

harry (Sep 12, 2007 1:49:41 PM)
Hi Beth, who takes off campus interviews...Alumni or the adcom?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:49:42 PM)
Hello anupmm, We want applicants who are multi-dimensional; in addition the academic and professional information about you, we want to know what are your passions/interests/causes, etc. outside of work, and during your undergraduate experience.

brad (Sep 12, 2007 1:50:00 PM)
Hi Leigh - that's a great story! Do you know what this student does for the Indians? I would love to gain more details on this student in hopes of following a similar path. Please let me know how best to research this. Thanks!

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 1:50:10 PM)
Every student is eligible and encouraged to attend global programs. In fact, beginning in 2008 Kellogg will institute a new global course requirement. Many students already leverage these international programs as an outstanding supplement to traditional business school courses

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:50:22 PM)
Brad - come to Kellogg!

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:51:20 PM)
Leigh, How are international students doing in the job market?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:51:46 PM)
Hello Balika. We try to be flexible in accommodating our interview requests

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:52:27 PM)
Justin what has been your favorite class? Professor?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:53:04 PM)
Kellogg does not participate in the World MBA Tour; we have a number of Kellogg information sessions scheduled all across the US and in other areas around the world.

Anand (Sep 12, 2007 1:53:43 PM)
How do you define quality work experience, especially in an IT industry where everyone is basically doing similar work?

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 1:54:03 PM)
Although, I'm focusing on finance and operations, my favorite class and professor so far has been my Introduction to Marketing class with Julie Hennessey. She's an amazing professor that really helped me to understand the strategic implications behind marketing plans.  I definitely recommend taking her if at all possible when you all come to Kellogg!

vrider (Sep 12, 2007 1:54:47 PM)
Beth, how do you view candidates with more than average i.e. 7-8 work experience?

anupmm (Sep 12, 2007 1:54:54 PM)
Thanks.. Beth

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:54:58 PM)
Linda, Last year our international students did well. We actually instituted a new program this year for our international students that occurs the 3 weeks prior to classes starting called ACE. During this session we cover some language/accent classes, how to network in the US, how to get up to speed on US pop culture, dining etiquette, etc. It was a great pilot program and will be doing it again next year.

Nitin (Sep 12, 2007 1:55:00 PM)
Thank you very much Beth

balika (Sep 12, 2007 1:55:04 PM)
thank you Justin

harry (Sep 12, 2007 1:55:13 PM)
Does every candidate have the same prospects of acceptance regardless of residency or citizenship status?

abhishekg (Sep 12, 2007 1:55:21 PM)
Justin: I have heard that a lot of students struggle with quant aspects too. Does it make sense to have done a refresher math course before starting or is that handled well in CIM/pre-term?

sumit_arora (Sep 12, 2007 1:56:05 PM)
Leigh: What % of people approx. start their own venture just after Kellogg MBA, and what % of alumni are entrepreneurs

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:56:15 PM)
Anand, the "quality" of work experience relates to elements such as: evidence of demonstrated progression/promotion; how has the person had impact on teammates, the department, the company? what has this person learned?

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:56:27 PM)
Harry, Yes, everyone does have the same prospects of acceptance, regardless of residency or citizenship.

balika (Sep 12, 2007 1:56:55 PM)
Thank you Beth. I appreciate your response.

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 1:56:59 PM)
Kellogg has a pre-term refresher for accounting, math, and economics that all students must go through. It is very thorough and helps provide a solid foundation of skills coming into your first year.

andy (Sep 12, 2007 1:57:04 PM)
Thanks Justin.

anupmm (Sep 12, 2007 1:57:06 PM)
Justin, How did you get yourself selected to represent Kellogg in this forum? Must be feeling proud... right

Nitin (Sep 12, 2007 1:57:21 PM)
Leigh, regarding the international student question, do the people who are not permanent resident of US or a US citizen find it difficult to find a job of their interest? Or does the employer are reluctant to file for their work visa?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:58:20 PM)
Hello Vrider. There are applicants in our pool with a wide range of years of work experience, including those with 7-8 years of experience. Again, we are focused on the quality of the experience. And, we also seek to understand how one's experience will contribute to the learning experience of his/her fellow classmates here at Kellogg, as well as to look for a link between the experience and career goals.

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 1:58:39 PM)
Sumit, About 1% of students start their own venture right out of Kellogg. Many students want to go into programs where they can get a few years of solid training and experience in general mgmt programs, etc. before they start their own business.

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 1:58:57 PM)
I work closely with admissions with respect to bringing in a diverse and talented student body and we saw this as a great opportunity to answer questions about Kellogg!

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:59:05 PM)
Beth, when applicants are basically "qualified" what distinguishes an accepted from a denied application?

Nicky484 (Sep 12, 2007 1:59:39 PM)
Justin: What about dormitory. Does Kellogg provide dorms for students?

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 1:59:58 PM)
Beth, Leigh, and Justin, have graciously agreed to extend the chat. You can still post your questions.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 2:00:14 PM)
Great question, Linda, and the truth is that there is no single or simple answer! I am trying to think of a more common profile for applicants who did not receive admission, but honestly no single profile comes to mind.  I actually think it's good that there is no common profile; the reasons for a deny decision depend on so many different factors and that relates to the great diversity that we have in the applicant pool.

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 2:00:21 PM)
Although many students live in apartments near campus, there is also student housing available.

KREEP-O (Sep 12, 2007 2:00:49 PM)
Leigh: What steps has Kellogg taken to alleviate the recent H1B crunch? I find this extremely relevant given that we will be coming out of B-school with a *big* loan....

andy (Sep 12, 2007 2:01:28 PM)
What is the percentage of applicants from India?  And what is the acceptance rate, Beth?

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 2:01:44 PM)
Nitin, this is a question that all MBA schools are dealing with right now. There are certain industries such as services and high tech who have no problem sponsoring students while some others are reluctant. We are working with our international students to tailor their search to overcome some of these obstacles and to work through the recent H1B issues. We have an employment lawyer who puts on a workshop each year and will work with us throughout the year to help us navigate this.

anupmm (Sep 12, 2007 2:01:52 PM)
Kreep_O ... very pertinent question

andy (Sep 12, 2007 2:02:23 PM)
And also please let us know, what percentage of the people branch out for social entrepreneurship?

Nitin (Sep 12, 2007 2:02:56 PM)
Thank you very much Leigh

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 2:04:52 PM)
The H1B issue is another one that all of the MBA schools are working through. For the few students who were impacted in April, and foreseeably this will be an issue again, we work with them and employers to come up with other alternatives to deal with the few months that they cannot work in the US. The Kellogg CMC philosophy is all about relationships with individual students and relationships with employers so that we can work together to overcome issues like this.

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 2:05:21 PM)
Us78, we look for diversity and variety in all aspects of one's profile. One of the biggest benefits from bringing in a diverse mix of people is that students have a great opportunity to learn from each other as well as the professors.

menon (Sep 12, 2007 2:05:41 PM)
Hi Beth, Could you give me a rough estimate of what your acceptance rate was last year ?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 2:06:08 PM)
Greetings Andy. Of the pool of international applications, approximately 1/3 of this group was comprised of candidates from a country in Asia. The selectivity varies from year to year and from country to country. Again, we are seeking strong international diversity in our class, but we admit based on a strong overall quality of each application.

Nitin (Sep 12, 2007 2:07:05 PM)
Beth, do the chances become slim for the financial aid if the application is sent in the third round?

us78 (Sep 12, 2007 2:08:38 PM)
Thanks Justin.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 2:08:47 PM)
Andy, social entrepreneurship continues to emerge as a strong area of interest about Kellogg for our applicants and students. I do not have the specific percentage for those that graduated in 2007, but I expect that the number of students pursuing this area is climbing. I encourage you to take a close look at our Social Enterprise at Kellogg (SEEK) program which has some emphasis on social entrepreneurship. Professor Tim Feddersen is the director of this program. You are welcome to contact him to learn more about this program. Also, the Levy Center has some interesting s.e. activities in progress. Scott Whitaker, associate director of the Levy Center (and a Kellogg alum and former entrepreneur:-) ) would be glad to share more information about these activities.

balika (Sep 12, 2007 2:08:53 PM)
how long is this chat scheduled for?

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 2:08:53 PM)
another 10 minutes.

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 2:09:10 PM)
Sumit, Every year there is an entrepreneurial conference at Kellogg for current students, alums, etc. I believe that there are competitions that students can participate in as well, but I would encourage you to reach out to the Levy Institute at the link I supplied above for more information.

balika (Sep 12, 2007 2:09:45 PM)
Beth, can you tell me why does Kellogg interview every applicant and why is not by invitation? I hope this does not offend any one.

andy (Sep 12, 2007 2:10:34 PM)
and also Justin- what is the second most popular elective after Marketing at Kellogg?

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 2:11:46 PM)
Hi Andy, following marketing the most popular majors are: Management and Strategy, Finance, and Analytical Consulting.

andy (Sep 12, 2007 2:12:17 PM)
thanks Beth

us78 (Sep 12, 2007 2:12:22 PM)
Hi Leigh, While visiting Kellogg, will I be able to attend the iscConference (3 oct), or is it open for only Kellogg students?

harry (Sep 12, 2007 2:12:33 PM)
What %ge of students get financial aid and what "kind" of financial aid do they get?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 2:12:37 PM)
Hi us78.  I just read your question...

balika (Sep 12, 2007 2:13:35 PM)
Hello Beth, what %age of the current student strength comprises younger candidates (2-3 yrs of work ex)

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 2:14:03 PM)
Harry, 67% of our students receive some form of financial aid.  I don't have info about the type of financial aid they receive.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 2:14:35 PM)
We have a larger than average 2Y Class this year as we had an increase in our yield which was great; our success exceeded our expectations!

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 2:14:43 PM)
US78, conferences are usually open to anyone, however there is a registration for it. You should contact the people running the conference before you arrive.

andy (Sep 12, 2007 2:14:52 PM)
thanks Beth

vish (Sep 12, 2007 2:14:59 PM)
Does work as a student in the university (like an internship) count towards work experience?

harry (Sep 12, 2007 2:15:02 PM)
thanks

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 2:15:23 PM)
We are not going to change the class size going forward this year due the larger new 2Y class....

us78 (Sep 12, 2007 2:15:50 PM)
Thanks a lot Leigh! I will check out the registration info.

balika (Sep 12, 2007 2:16:34 PM)
Leigh, Hi- can any one of you tell me which are the programs/activities for marketing at Kellogg and from where can get more information on these.

John Pendleton (Sep 12, 2007 2:16:58 PM)
Beth, are there any students at Kellogg who also play a NCAA sport? Or do students find that pursuing college athletics is prohibitive to their experience at Kellogg?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 2:17:27 PM)
Balka, roughly 15-20% would be in the range of 2-3 years of experience, and as I mentioned earlier, we certainly want more outstanding junior professionals in our pool.

burman08 (Sep 12, 2007 2:17:48 PM)
Beth, we are not allowed to convert our foreign marks to GPA system. in that case how are we evaluated? when i convert my GPA which is on a scale of 10 to a scale of 4... it seems considerably lesser than the average GPA but it is quite ok in the Indian context.... how do we handle these in the applications

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 2:18:28 PM)
John, Justin is going to answer this question. I will add that several of our students are former NCAA athletes--and we have some former Olympians as well!

us78 (Sep 12, 2007 2:18:41 PM)
Thanks Beth! That is indeed very exciting news, and it just shows where Kellogg stands in the perception of the applicants.

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 2:18:47 PM)
John, between academics and extra-curricular activities competition in NCAA sports is nearly impossible. We do have a variety of very competitive club options that don't require nearly as much time but still allow students to compete in the sports they enjoy.

Nicky484 (Sep 12, 2007 2:18:48 PM)
What new for Kellogg this year adapting to fast changing world?

anupmm (Sep 12, 2007 2:19:15 PM)
Beth, Leigh & Justin.. This has been an amazing session... an eye-opener to the world of Kellogg.  Kudos to Linda too for having provided such a platform !!

Linda Abraham (Sep 12, 2007 2:19:20 PM)
You're most welcome.

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 2:19:33 PM)
Balka, there are tons of activities for marketing at Kellogg! From classes to conferences, to case competitions, to club speaker events, to company presentations, to the annual marketing competition each fall where 1st years form teams to market real new products to their classmates - the school becomes blanketed by marketing activity! You can find more on the marketing club and marketing department's website.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 2:20:04 PM)
Burman, that is a great question which I am glad to address. Yes, there are so many different academic programs reflected in our pool and that also means we see several different grading scales. We have resources that we consult when necessary to determine what a score/mark means with respect to academic performance. And, we will reach out to that school if necessary to ensure we have the accurate information. So, there is no need for an international applicant to attempt to convert his/her academic performance to a 4.0 scale that is common in the US.

balika (Sep 12, 2007 2:20:07 PM)
Thanks Leigh!!

John Pendleton (Sep 12, 2007 2:20:22 PM)
Justin, that is pretty much what I figured. I am probably well past those glory days of sports competition, but just wanted to know if any of your current students are currently NCAA athletes. But great to know that there are plenty of opportunities to compete out there.

balika (Sep 12, 2007 2:20:55 PM)
Beth, does Kellogg require any proof (documents,certificates etc) for any NGO related activity done by an applicant?

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 2:21:11 PM)
Nicky, one of the best things about Kellogg is that is student driven. This includes new courses each year. This fall we've introduced a new course studying sustainability, a topic that has received a lot of press globally recently.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 2:21:39 PM)
Balika, are you referring to NGO work experience, or a volunteer experience?

balika (Sep 12, 2007 2:21:55 PM)
Both

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 2:23:02 PM)
It is not required, but we do reserve the right to request this type of documentation if necessary. If you already have such a document, I recommend that you include it in your application materials.

anupmm (Sep 12, 2007 2:23:15 PM)
Justin... how packed are your days? Do you get a weekend off once in a while or no?

John Pendleton (Sep 12, 2007 2:23:40 PM)
I missed the large majority of this chat, so this may have been touched upon, but what percentage of your students spend a summer/semester working and studying in a foreign economy?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 2:24:25 PM)
Hey John. My colleague, Leigh, wants to respond so give her just a few moments...

us78 (Sep 12, 2007 2:24:41 PM)
Hi Beth, how is a 3rd recommendation looked at by the admissions?

John Pendleton (Sep 12, 2007 2:24:43 PM)
No problem, and an estimation works.

JustinDeanKellogg (Sep 12, 2007 2:25:09 PM)
Anupmm, they're definitely packed. Coursework here is pretty rigorous and requires a lot of effort, but the classes are really interesting so that makes the work worthwhile.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Sep 12, 2007 2:25:27 PM)
us78, we require 2 work-related recommendations which you probably already know.  I always advise applicants to follow directions for each unique application:-) It is a judgment call on your end with regard to submitting an additional recommendation. If you choose to do that, I strongly recommend that you provide insight in the "optional" section about why you think the 3rd recommendation is pertinent.

这不是07年的吗?

谢谢分享

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%

查看