返回列表 发帖
Essay11
What are your short-term and long-term career goals?

My immediate plan is to pursue an MBA education so that I can be on the fast track to realize both my short-term and long-term goals.

Upon my graduation with an MBA degree, I would like to pick up a job with a major multinational company. At such a company, I can practice what I will have learned in the business school. But more importantly, I will gain first-hand knowledge of how a big corporation is operated.

Ultimately, I will start another company of my own. To pursue an MBA, I have sold out the company that I set up and made successful. But this by no means spells the end of my dream of running my own company on a significant scale.

Ideally, I will set up a consulting company that promotes a new mode of production, with which I think I can help create a seller's market out of China's overall buyer's market. By "a new mode of production", I mean the kind of production that is tailored to meet the very specific demands of specific customers. This is only possible with the extensive employment of computer-aided design, computerized manufacturing and advanced data management. With our help, a company will accept small orders and forsake the traditional mode of mass production. If a lady wants a fashion dress, the company will tailor-make it for her at the cost of a mass-produced one. The designers will take in all her specifications, including color, measurements, and style, and the factory will deliver the specially ordered and produced dress for the customer in a few hours.

Although this sounds a little far-fetched in China now, it is not really a novel idea any more. The Japanese company Toyota started to make cars this way ten years ago. Levi's has been tailor-making jeans the last few years.

I am particularly good at organizing talented experts in the development of technologies. Using this strength, I will make the firm grow in two stages. First, I will develop the software systems to realize the "new mode of production" for the textile and clothing industry. Once the idea is popularized, I will expand into other industries. My objective is to run a large-scale consulting firm that helps to realize small-scale production for big corporate manufacturers.

This objective is a grand one. But I believe that, with the skills that I will have learned in the MBA education, I will be able to realize it. Most people may not have realized it yet, but I foresee that the new mode of production outlined here will be the principal mode of production in the future. It may be realized sooner if I promote it. To take advantage of the opportunities of the future, I need an MBA education.
Your future. Our mission.
MySpace: http://forum.topway.org/sns/?11416
WeChat:6711025
Weibo:  laowang_topway

Essay12
Specifically address your post-MBA short and long-term professional goals. How will Darden assist you in attaining these goals?

Ambitious and strongly business-minded, I have both short-term and long-term goals. Upon obtaining an MBA, I would like to work as a marketing executive with a major I/T company. But over the long run, I will have to set up my own company so that I can become a successful entrepreneur in my own right. I remind myself of these goals every morning on my way to work.

To realize my goals, I have already accumulated considerable experience in China's I/T industry. After my graduation in 1990 with a Bachelor's Degree in computer science, I first took up the job of a salesman with the Legend Computer Company, a leader of the I/T business in China. I did so well at Legend that I was promoted in early 1996 to the position of a department chief, responsible for the sales of Legend Personal Computers (PC) in northeastern China. I quitted, however, two months later to take on more challenging responsibilities.

I was welcomed into the Personal System Group of MIB China in June of 1994. At MIB China, I received not only increased benefits but more importantly, greater challenges, particularly in the field of channel management. Towards the end of 1996, I was appointed the head of a channel management team made of five seasoned marketing engineers. Commanding this team, I now deal on behalf of MIB China with two of its strategic business partners, Dawn Co. and SRIT Co, which together account for more than a quarter of MIB China's total revenue.

My job at MIB China has given me plenty of opportunities to interact with executives of some prominent Chinese corporations, and I have thereby learned first-hand about the difficulties with which they cope with the ever intensifying competition in the world economy. One of the major problems they have to face is China's lack of business managers who are seasoned in both the Chinese culture and the modern managerial techniques, as taught in a Western business school like Darden. This problem still plagues MIB China. Such problems have opened up huge opportunities for those with the right type of training.

My determination to make myself an entrepreneur in the I/T industry was strengthened in 1996, when I attended the Comdex show held in Las Vegas on my first trip abroad. That show presented the latest developments in the global I/T industry, developments that usually represented the performance of the world's leading companies. Fascinated, I set out to decipher the secret of their successes, and realized that the technological edge they enjoy over countries like China can be attributed, in no small part, to their much more advanced management. I wish to have myself trained thoroughly in the art of their management so that I can manage a business at least as successfully as they do.

I have acquired, through working at MIB China and elsewhere, much professional knowledge and expertise in marketing, product, pricing, channel, finance and international market. Yet I feel that I do not yet know enough to run a viable business venture on any large scale. As a computer science major, I must receive the kind of comprehensive business training that Darden MBA program offers to turn myself into a full-fledged businessman. To satisfy my most pressing need, I must take courses that include:
* accounting and finance;
* the impact of financial strategies on business decisions;
* the formulation, implementation and evaluation of sales and marketing strategies in a global market environment;
* strategic planning in dealing with customer needs and competitor responses;
* negotiation skills, primarily focused on the win-win approach required for long term business relationships.

Compared with other famous business schools in the US, Darden appeals more to me for several reasons. First, I know its classes are smaller. As a foreign student, I wish to communicate more with both my professors and fellow students, which is only possible when the classes are relatively small and characterized by some measure of casualness and informality. Second, I like that "case-study" approach that you have practiced, which I believe is the best approach for me to learn what the real business world is like in the US. Third, I have been told that Darden puts more emphasis on teaching than most other American business schools. That is particularly important to me. While I value good research as much as anybody else, I as a student prefer professors who put teaching ahead of other pursuits. Effective teaching methods will probably be the biggest help I can get when I try to transcend cultural and other barriers in pursuing advanced business training in the US.

I hope that, after two years of focused studies at Darden, I will have improved my leadership skills, sharpened my financial and operational acumen and expanded my network of contacts. If so, my life will be put solidly on the right track. While I may still be able to realize my goals without formal training at Darden, I am firmly convinced a Darden education will significantly shorten the distance I will have to travel to reach my goals.

Essay13
What is the most important decision you have made in your life? In retrospect, would you make the same decision if you could start all over again?

Looking back to my life of the last 20 years, I must say that the career decision I made upon graduation from Beijing University in 1995 has a most profound impact on who I am and where I am today. I am glad that I made the right decision at the time, a decision that I can find nothing to regret about today.

At the time, a number of choices were presented to me. As high degrees are revered in China, many of the students in my class, me included, contemplated pursuing graduate studies right away. After toying with the idea for a long time, I eventually decided against it, thinking that I should accumulate some significant hands-on experiences before I should embark on advanced studies and research. I knew that management is an applied science, and one can hardly learn to be a good manager without ever managing anything.

Once I decided not to enter into graduate school, I had to choose where to work and what kind of work to do. Like most university graduates in Beijing today, most of my classmates back then wanted to stay in Beijing, the nation's capital, even though the government was encouraging graduates to pursue jobs elsewhere. But I went against the trend in choosing to work in Shenzhen, the boomtown across the border from Hong Kong, attracted by its reputation of being pioneering in the country's economic reforms and development.

Choosing Shenzhen over Beijing does not end the decision-making process. At the time, I could either join a bank as an accountant or a foreign trade company as an ordinary office worker in Shenzhen. Many people prefer the bank for its high income and steady job security. But I felt that accounting with the bank would not be challenging enough for me. So I chose to join the foreign trade company Tigerta Group Corporation Ltd., one of the country's top 300 companies. The decision was proved right. Although hired as an ordinary member of the staff, I quickly stood out among the company's employees with my knowledge and perseverance. Soon, the CEO took me on as his assistant. As such, I not only learned first-hand how a modern Chinese is managed but also participated in the policy deliberations. In the process, I gradually developed my own thinking on management.

Three years has passed since my graduation. With devotion and brilliance, I have reached higher on the corporate ladder in my company than virtually any of my classmates in theirs. For the past two years, I have been serving as the company's top manager in its South Africa chapter, where I have mapped out a business expansion strategy and significantly increased the company's sales. During this period, I have given full play to all my business training and business acumen.

Working independently in a foreign country, I have also learned to be self-disciplined and confident. Moreover, I have significantly improved my command of English.

Even if I had not been as successfully as I really have been, I would not regret having made the choice of working in Shenzhen for a foreign trade company, for the choice would still lead me onto a challenging yet promising career path. Once on this path, I would be full of ambitions, as I am now.

Essay14
Outside your career, what accomplishment brings you the most personal satisfaction?

In the course of pursuing my career, I have never forgotten the ultimate purpose of human life, that is, the pursuit of happiness. To fulfil this purpose, I have never failed to make the greatest possible effort to build up a happy family, the time-tested institution that I think is ideal for bestowing the most enduring happiness on human beings. My efforts have paid off, for I have been enjoying family happiness for nine years. In an age when families are breaking up in record numbers, I take my stable and happy family not only as a source of inspiration and strength but also a tremendous accomplishment in itself, which brings me at least as much personal satisfaction as my career successes.

My wife is different from most other girls I have known. Before I met her, I usually had to compete intellectually with the girls I dated. They thought that they would have to appear intelligent to be attractive to me, and I thought I would have to outperform them intellectually to attract them. This duel of mental power went on for a long time to no avail, until one day I met an undergraduate girl at a dancing party. Saying that she had come to "dance her homework away," she displayed a free spirit that set her apart from everyone else. Almost instantly, I decided that she was my type of girl. Luckily, she found me her kindred spirit, too. Soon we got married, for which she temporarily dropped out of university. Neither of us hesitated for the most important decision that we made in our respective lives. We shared an urge to do right away what we felt was the right thing to do. With this urge to take decisive action in pursuit of our true will, she later finished two degrees, one in accounting and one in English, and I, as I have told you in other essays, achieved career successes.

With a happy family, we have maintained a huge network of friends, who would fill apartment to the full on weekends. With friends bringing along their friends, we have got acquainted and made friends with people from all walks of life. We would share our experiences and trade our jokes. These friends not only bring us information and vision that enhance our respective careers but also help make our life meaningful and interesting.

Essay15
Discuss a challenge in your life, why you consider it a challenge, and what you learned? (400)

Keeping people in my department turned out to be my biggest challenge soon after I took up the position of the department manager in 1995. That year, some young employees of our company left for new foreign trade companies that paid higher salaries. Although none of my fifteen people left, they were certainly tempted. Their performance was apparently affected. If my department, the most important export department, suffered a brain drain, the whole company's performance would be undermined.

At the time, we could not possibly provide the kind pay or positions that other companies were providing. I analyzed out situation, looking for our advantages that might offset our disadvantages. Compared with the newly emerged competitors, our department was much more established in business, staffed with much more qualified people and had a lot more financial assets. I decided to make full use of these resources to meet our people's needs to the best we could

First, I wanted to instill a sense of professional pride in our people. I laid down a rule of routine project review whereby project managers would report the progress of his project to the whole department as "case studies". I made English our working language and thus turned the offices into effective classrooms where people could learn and improve their command of the foreign language. I let everyone know I cared about their professional progress and their personal future. They began to appreciate the environment, which would not be available to them elsewhere.

Second, I changed the focus of the department's business to larger and more complicated projects that were beyond the capability of new foreign trade companies, which were usually small and inexperienced. This strategy successfully withdrew my department from the chaotic competition between foreign trade companies scrambling for business and personnel with connections.

Third, considering the company's bonus/profit ratio were dragged down by a large reserve set aside for possible losses, I proposed to the company management a method that incorporate the risk factors into bonus calculation. This method allowed a much higher bonus/profit ratio for "safe deals" such as most of our department's projects, which were financed by World Bank. Many managers in my department received a remarkable increase in their incomes.

The result was that my department gradually restored its stability and our export started to go up. Today, as the assistant general manager in charge of my company's export, I always keep in mind what I have learned from this experience -- human resources are the most important asset of a company, and, to retain such an asset, the management have to put people's needs before anything else.

Essay16
Tell us about your professional aspirations and how you plan to realize them.

My goal is to become one of China's best businessmen ever. I am glad to say that I have been taking very solid and substantial steps towards that goal. As a graduate from Beijing University's business school, I have received probably the country's best possible undergraduate education in business. Upon obtaining my Bachelor's Degree in business, I chose to take up a job with a company rather than go into graduate studies right away, as I understood the importance of hands-on experiences. I needed to apply what had learned from the books to the real world first before I should embark on further studies.

In the three years I have been working with Tigerta, I have been promoted from the position of a rookie office worker to the position of a general manager for one of the company's most important branches. In the process, I have acquainted myself with both how a Chinese is typically managed and how a modern business along the Western model is managed. Furthermore, I have learned how to maintain a Chinese business' presence on foreign soil. There are not many Chinese people of my age who have had such colorful experiences.

Perhaps my most important preparation will come through my MBA education at Harvard, a cradle of some of the world's most important businessmen. I have accumulated significant experiences in doing business, and I would now like to sit back and look at those experiences reflectively in light of the world's most brilliant business models, principles, and conceptual frameworks.

I hope that what I learn at Harvard will shed light on how China's state-owned enterprises can turn in a profit, and what kind of role I can play in reforming these state-owned enterprises. If I can make a significant contribution to the country's endeavor to make its state-owned enterprises profitable, I will probably have no trouble in being recognized as one of the best Chinese businessmen.

As was required at the time, I underwent a full year of rigorous military training after I was accepted into the Beijing University. That helped to instill endurance and self-discipline into my character. With that, I have lived a life of strong principles and impeccable integrity. The training also helped to make me physically healthy. All these qualities - endurance, self-discipline, integrity and a healthy body - will be my assets as I seek to reach my goal.

Essay17
What is your long-term goal? And how do you think an MBA education can help you reach that goal?

My long-term goal is to become one of China's best businessmen ever, one who is able to solve the world's practical business problems with the most sophisticated business theories. My short-term goal is to acquire comprehensive knowledge and expertise in Western business principles and practices.

I have been taking very solid and substantial steps towards my goals. As a graduate from Beijing University's business school, I have received probably the country's best possible undergraduate education in business. Upon obtaining my Bachelor's Degree in business, I chose to take up a job with a company rather than go into graduate studies right away, as I sought to gain hands-on experiences. I needed to apply what had learned from the books to the real world first before I should embark on further studies.

In the three years I have been working with Tigerta, I have been promoted from the position of a rookie office worker to the position of a general manager for one of the company's most challenging branches. In the process, I have acquainted myself with both how a Chinese is typically managed and how a modern business along the Western model is managed. Furthermore, I have learned how to maintain a Chinese business' presence on foreign soil. There are not many Chinese people of my age who have had such colorful experiences.

Perhaps my most important preparation will come through my MBA education at Haas School, a cradle of some of the world's best business talents. I have accumulated significant experiences in doing business, and I would now like to sit back and look at those experiences reflectively in light of the world's most brilliant business models, principles, and conceptual frameworks.

I hope that what I learn at Harvard will shed light on how China's state-owned enterprises can turn in a profit, and what kind of role I can play in reforming these state-owned enterprises. If I can make a significant contribution to the country's endeavor to make its state-owned enterprises profitable, I will probably have no trouble in being recognized as one of the best Chinese businessmen.

Essay18
Briefly assess your career progress to date. Elaborate on your future career plans and your motivation for pursuing a graduate business degree in the US.

My career goal is to lead a state-owned company to expand from a local to international business scale.  The first thing I want to do after I earn an MBA is to work as a manager in general management at a multinational for several years.  Equipped with sophisticated management skills I learn from this experience, I will move ahead to direct the operation of a state-owned company.  

Now the badly managed state-own companies are running in red and laying off their workers on a massive scale.  The most effective way to help these workers and companies is to train their managers.  I want to share my efforts and expertise with them.  This was what I learned after I graduated from university in 1994 with a hope of reforming a state-owned enterprise.  

At that time, most state-owned enterprises were running in the doldrums.  Interpreting challenges as opportunities, I volunteered to join Beijing Engine Corporation, the third largest industrial enterprise in Beijing.  After one year in the company, I realized there was not much we could do to change the status quo of such companies.  

Knowing such backward companies would not offer much for me to learn about management, I decided to select a multinational to work for.  In October 1995, I was employed by Kodak (China) Limited.  I have really learned a lot over the last three years at Kodak.  Kodak performs well in developing new techniques, making high quality products, setting efficient distribution channels around the world and offering good services to customers. What impresses me most is the teamwork spirit in Kodak.  Support is coming to me everyday from our local office, Hong Kong, Singapore, Melbourne and Rochester.  I did not personally know most of my colleagues in those places, but I can always rest assured that we are working in the same team.

Now three years of working experiences with Kodak have turned me into a professional businessman.  I can pursue my career with Kodak and continue to learn business management skills.  However, I will have more opportunities if I can earn an MBA at a renowned business school.  To receive MBA training at this stage of my career will be good for my personal growth.  After I examined my past working history and education, I came to believe that a rigorous training in business management will launch me onto my desired career track.

My undergraduate years were spent at Xi'an Jiaotong University, one of the most prestigious institutes in China.  I was admitted in 1989 without taking the usually mandatory admission test held nationwide each year.  Only a handful of the very best high school students are given such offers by several leading universities around the country.  My academic performance continued to shine at university.

The student leadership positions I held during my undergraduate studies may well indicate my good mastery of organization skills.  In 1991, I was elected president of the Students Union of Xi'an Jiaotong University out of more than 10,000 undergraduates. During the summer holidays in 1992, as a representative of Xi'an Jiaotong University, I attended No.21 Conference of All China Students Federation held in Beijing and was elected one of five executive presidents of this nationwide student organization by representatives from all over the country.  My management capabilities were well cultivated in the extracurricular activities at university

To bring my potential in management into full play, I am eager to pursue an MBA in the United Sates where new ideas about management are constantly generated.  Kellogg is a great education center as illustrated by the ranking of business schools.  I believe that the culture of the school sets it apart from the others.  For example, teamwork is taught extensively at Kellogg.  That is something highly valuable after school.  With good cooperative working style, Kellogg graduates will be greatly appreciated by their employers.  I am sure that I can learn a lot from Kellogg students who represent various experiences, interests, talents, and cultural and ethnic backgrounds.

Essay19
Briefly and specifically describe your career objectives and your reason to apply to the Montana School.

In consideration of my education, professional experience and personal qualities, I have for long been determined to build up a career in business management consulting. Such a career calls for knowledge, experience, keen judgment and creativity, but the challenges it presents are precisely what makes it so attractive to me. My dream is that, under my seasoned guidance, many a Chinese company will grow by leaps and bounds to take up dominant positions in the world market. I am confident that my education at Simon, coupled with my strong analytical skills and broad vision, will put me firmly on track to such a career.

Having undertaken professional training in trade and finance, I believe that I can also do well as a professional working for a foreign trade firm or a banking institution.

In choosing my career path, I have carefully canvassed the human resources market in China. Thanks to economic and other reforms, the country's economy has been growing as the world's fastest for almost two decades. Such growths have generated an enormous demand for modern managerial talents, which Chinese universities do not supply sufficiently in either quantity or quality. The shortage of professional managers is now seriously hampering China's economic restructuring drive, particularly in the state-owned sector. As globalization sucks China's economy into the world economic system, the lack of professional managers also puts China at a disadvantage in its economic and trade relations with other countries. China's continued growths have been called into question, particularly at a time when it gets hammered harder and harder by the Asian financial crisis.

If China is to sustain its spectacular economic progress, its businesses will have to be managed by professional managers who are equipped with not only excellent personal qualities, but also solid business expertise. They must have a keen sense of the risks and opportunities around them, a quick instinct on the best development strategies, and superb organizational skills. They should also be versed in business theories, relevant law and regulations, and the prevalent business practices of the world. I think such abilities can be best attained through advanced training at quality business schools.

The ideal way for me to meet China's need for modern managerial talent is to make myself a professional manager and then advise a host of Chinese businesses on their management. I feel that my current knowledge and expertise are not yet up to the task that I have set for myself. I therefore wish to pursue MBA studies at a well-known graduate business school such as the Simon Business School. What I need is not just a degree, though. I need to learn the ways of handling complicated situations and making the right decisions. Your program, with its excellent faculty, significant international student body, and the small sized teamwork model of learning, holds strong allure to me. I would dearly love to have the opportunity of communicating with diversified talents in the classroom. I am sure that education at your school will put me firmly on track to realize my dream.

Essay20
Describe your career goals, explain how the Olin School will help you meet your objectives. (400)

My ideal job is to head a foreign trade service company. At present, this kind of company does not exist in China. My future company will provide innovative services-offering insurance on product quality and after-sale service to foreign purchasers of Chinese goods. We will do this in corporation with overseas companies so as to share our human resources, information, marketing channels and management skills.

My experience of over ten years in international trade business has endowed me with insights and a sense of direction. I have observed that many foreign trade companies are being pushed out of the market because the international buyers and sellers have established close contact made possible by modern information technologies. Many traditional services provided by China's foreign trade companies are no longer needed by their clients. I have many ideas of how my future business is going to function in the new market. However at this stage, what I need is to better prepare myself with advanced business skills. I also need to pause in order to reflect on my professional experience. Towards that end, I shall pursue MBA studies.

A friend of mine who is familiar with your MBA program speaks highly of it and has encouraged me to apply for acceptance. Your program holds special allure to me because of your fame as a top business school in the US and your philosophy recognizing that "each student has unique needs". You offer the students maximum choice and personal attention to meet their individual needs. Based on my own professional experience, I understand customization represents the greatest responsibility and highest standard in any kind of services. Your customized teaching will not only help me achieve my professional goals but also conform with my own ideals in business practices.

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%

查看