返回列表 发帖

生活

问:dardencase method是否导致学习非常辛苦,通常要学习到几点呢?我听说duke的学习相对轻松些。不知各位校友的亲身体验如何?

答:Heard that normal sleeping time is 12:00 AM, so it is hard. But no pain, no gain. The first year is rather challenge but the second year is very relex from what I heard. It's true, Darden is hard. So if you just want to enjoy 2 year's US life, do not apply for Darden. But if you want to learn some down-to-earth business and be ready to be a CEO, come to Darden!

Let me share with you my opinion on the case method here at Darden.
I dont want to waste your time reading this threas  with the informaton you can get with GOOGLE and "official" Darden pamphlet..
So , here is the truth.

Darden is not for everybody.

Before you apply for B-School, you need to ask yourself a big question "What do I want out of it?"
If you want to get solid cross-principle general management professional training,  move your English communication skills to a whole new level,  and have close-knit friends and alumni you can count on, then Darden is the answer.

Note that I said "English" communication skills. if you want to land a job in North America, Darden will be one of your top choices. Today at the international orientation session, our career development director Mr. errerate just emphasised that the No.1 criteria Top recruiter ( Banking and Consulting firms such as Mckeinsy and Goldman Sach) are looking for when they came on campus is : communcation skills.
On the other hand, if you plan to go back China after your 2 years, Darden may not be your best choice, in my opinion -  you dont really need the English communication skills, and Let's face it, Darden dont have particularly large alumni network in China, so it might not help your Business in China. After all, We are still a "small" school.

Yes, it is tough. Darden is still the most rigorous MBA program in TOP B schools in US.
Take it as a challenge, a challenge to improve yourself on time management, multiple-tasking and teamwork. Let me explain why it is a challenge for teamwork. Darden deliberately design the program so that the workload has to shared with the team. It is mission impossible to do it on your own. During today's panel dscussion with several SY ( second year ) students, one of the guys said that it took him too long to realize that he is not the smartest guy in the room. If he were given another chance to re-live the first year, he would involve more on the learn team and reply more on the learning team to get things done. 

You need to be confident with your english, comfortable with elaborating your thoughts on a given topic in a structural and logical way in front of a group of elites from various part of the world.

So, are you "Darden material" ?

问:I got some rumor that there is already a new Darden student from China choose to quit for the unbearable workload and pressure, is that true?

答:In a way, yes Darden is a hard working school, requires high communication skill and hard working to succeed. So if you are expecting some parties everyday, please consider it again, there're many schools BUT darden to choose. But, in Darden, you learn real staff, and those are something you can count on in your whole life. The case methord, once you get used it, you will just LOVE it. Do you still remember the days in university that you either do not go to class or sleep in the class? In Darden that will never happen because you are so EXCITED to learn, discuss and lead!

All Darden materials/cases are putting you in a general manager point of view to learn different perspectives of business. For example in accounting you are not learn to be a good accountant, that's the responsiblity of accounting department. Darden teach you to learn to use accounting as a management tool, and a business lauangue, thus you can make well-rounded decision with all the accounting information and analysis you get.  And in the end, you are able to synegize all these stuff and thus build your own framework of managing business. This methord helps you to be a general manager and also benefit your career as a consultant, i-banker, cooperate finance...because all these jobs need a overall understanding of the business world.

问:不这种状况是否和我们非英语母语以及本身中国学生对未来就业的期望比较大有关?还是说这种状况在校园内就是很普遍的,不管你是中国学生、韩国学生、印度学生还是什么英国、美国学生?

mainly because the pressure on study. Actually US students in Darden are also very diligent. The thing is, Darden requires a lot of work, so everyone need to work hard to meet the basic requirement. And if you want to do more, you need to spend more time.

The difference between Asian student (excluding Indian students) and US students is, we read much slower. So when you are facing a 10 page case (2-3 cases/day), you need to spend a lot of time to at least digest it first. Then you need to spend time to crack the case. reading+cracking case will take you somewhere around 3-6 hours/day. Then you need to go to your learning team everyday, spending 2-3 hour discussing, debating the best solution to the cases. After learning team, some classmate choose (especially Japanese ones) to work more on the cases, to make sure digest it fully. The next day, you will go to your class (the ones in your learning team are not in your class ), and discuss again with your classmates, and professor will lead the whole discussion.

The advantage of Chinese students is: most of us  are pretty good at math and conceptual thinking, both of which are required HEAVILY in Darden. So, probably you can crack the case faster

The greatness of this "case" methord is: you learn things 3 times by different angle: yourself, a small team, and a large team+professor, ensuraing you almost never forget what you learnd.  Also you are in a team enviornment everyday which force you to be familar with this kind of orgnization - which is very popular in current industry. The learning team also force you and american student to mingle together everyday, helps you to be adapt to us culture sooner. The downside is that it's very time consuming. That's the major reason many people spend so much time on studying.

On the other hand, in Darden you need to be able to "Prioritize" things otherwise you just cannot do everything. But you need to be very clear on what you want before you can prioritizing things, that's why BOSCO emphasizing that. If you don't know clearly what you want the most, and want to do everything, you are going to suffer. But if you do have a list with different prioritization, you can choose go give up something and make your life easier. "Prioritization" is very important skill for any senior position, you are going to be busy in the future anyway , so , learn the skill in your early stage will only enhance you. Also, some people said, if you can survive Darden, you can survive anywhere. You do have the confidence to deal with any difficult sitiuation!

All that being said, Darden's workload is much much easier than 2-5 years ago. I believe in some old days Darden people need to work 6 days/week, 3 cases/day. Now it's 5 days/week, 2-3 cases/day, there're "reading day" duing which you basically do nothing almost everyweek in first quarter and some reading days in second Q. I think that caused the difference between some elder Alumni's opinion and us current sutdents.

菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

就业

问:学校的career service如何?在入校和后来都做了那些工作来帮助学生找internship和找工作?

答:Career service is Darden's strength. Before we enter school, we need to do extensive online career testing, which helped us to identify "Who I am", "What I want to do", "What I can do". Also we need to submit a really refined resume before the course start.

Not sure about the service in School yet but I know that Darden's alumnis are very helpful. They are willing to spend time/effort to help you. One example  is in my company, where my boss graduated from Darden and is taking a senior position, while we have a 03 Darden graudates. They have constant discussion and mentoring time, and my boss is helping the younger one to find better chance inside our company.

问:学校对学生的就业帮助是怎样的?

答:In Darden the CDC (career development center) take career of students seriously. We have a 4 step process to follow in the whole 2 years, and each student is assigned with a career consultant from Sep, by major functions you want to work in.

Another big infor we get is that this year Darden enjoyed a HUGE increase in yield rate, that's the rate % of pepole taking offer vs. offers being send out. The result is that Darden sent less offer but turned out more student entering, and the school have to deffer and/or encourage deffer of some students to next year.

the class of 2005就业率怎么样?

答:Key Highlights of the class of 2005 employment statistics,FYI:

86% of students received first offer by graduation;

97% of students received first offer by 3 months post-graduation;

44% of students accepted jobs in Finance;

21% of students accepted jobs in Consulting;

36% of students accepted jobs in the Northeast region;

For additional in-depth data about employment statistics for the class of 2005 & 2006, you are invited to visit: 
www.darden.virginia.edu/career
http://www.darden.virginia.edu/career/employmentreportindex.htm

问:我想问下,dardenmedical行业的就业如何。darden是为了southern elites而设,那么她的毕业生在sounthern就业应该很不错吧。darden的教学除了case study的特色外,哪个专项比较强些,比如marketing, finance, mis, health care managementetc

答:Darden is quite strong in general management, that gives Darden advantage to consultanting and industry. Also University of Virginia has a Basten insititute which focus on entrepreneurship, there's amount of resource encouraging students to do business, like business plan competition, fund etc. Also there's a full-schorlarship for entrepreneurship each year in China.

When we talk about medical industry, I am not an expert since my industry is in IT. But this year, 2 out of 3 students who came back China entered medical device company, one in J&J. Their job/salary are pretty good. Below are the major companies recuriting in Darden bothe for summer intern and full time for your reference:

Class of 2005
Class of 2006
Top Hiring Companies
Summer Internships
Consulting
A.T. Kearney
Bain & Company
Booz Allen Hamilton
Deloitte
Everest
McKinsey & Company
ZS Associates

Consumer Products
Johnson & Johnson
Nike
PepsiCo
Procter & Gamble
Wyeth Consumer Healthcare

Energy
ConocoPhillips
Duke Energy
Exxon Mobil
Intrinergy

Financial Services
American Express
Bank of America
Bear Stearns
Citigroup
Credit Suisse First Boston
Deutsche Bank
Goldman Sachs
JPMorgan Chase
Legg Mason
Lehman Brothers
MassMutual Financial Group
Merrill Lynch
Morgan Stanley
Progressive Insurance
SG Cowen & Company
Standard & Poor’s
Updata Partners
Wachovia Securities

Manufacturing
Armstrong
Danaher
DuPont
GE FANUC
Gilbarco Veeder-Root
Tyco
United Technologies
Pharma/Bio/Healthcare
Pfizer
Upstate
Retail/Wholesale
Target

Technology/Communications
Avaya
Dell
IBM
Landmark Communications, Inc.
Microsoft
Sprint Nextel
TRX

Full-Time Employment
Consulting
A.T. Kearney
Bain & Company
Booz Allen Hamilton
The Boston Consulting Group
Deloitte
Everest
First Annapolis
IBM
McKinsey & Company
The Monitor Group
PRTM
ZS Associates
The Zyman Group
Consumer Products
General Mills
Johnson & Johnson
Kraft Foods

Financial Services
Bank of America
Citigroup
Goldman Sachs
Houlihan Lokey Howard & Zukin
JPMorgan Chase
Lehman Brothers
M&T Bank
Merrill Lynch
Morgan Stanley
Standard & Poor’s
UBS
Wachovia Securities

Manufacturing
Cargill
Danaher
DuPont
General Electric
General Motors
The McGraw-Hill Companies
United Technologies

Real Estate
Centex
Trammell Crow Company
Retail
Circuit City

Target

Technology/Communications
Dell
EDS
Intel Corporation
Sprint Nextel

菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

就业(二)

问:能不能介绍下DARDENMBA就业的情况?

答:Here is the job placement information regarding Chinese students in the past two years. We Darden Class 2008 will be working hard to keep the tradition of 100% job placement rate for Chinese students.

Class 2007 (Summer Job)

Bain China(1)
Bank of America NYC(2)
JP Morgan Chase NYC (1)
Enrst & Young USA(1)
Constellation Energy USA (1)
A Private Equity firm in USA (1)

PBM Product (USA) (1)
Whirlpool China (1)

Class of 2006

Medtronic, Inc China(1)
Midwestveco (USA) (1)
Johnson and Johnson China (1)
McKinsey China (1)
Bank of America (USA), Risk Management (1)
Standard & Poors (USA), Structured Finance (1)
Danaher (Rotation program in USA)  (1)

Class of 2005
AT Kearney (1)
Dupont (2)
Eaton China (1)
Cargill China (1)
Johnson&Johnson Singapore (1)
BCG US (1)

问:不过,看来也只有很少同学找到顶级工作。据我所知,几家前15名以后的学校的中国同学就业情况也很好。几个10万以上,几个8-10万,几个8万以下。当然,这些人当中也有当初被前15名录取,但选择了靠后学校的全奖。(似乎前10名的录取是无法抗拒的)。

看来,进了前15名的学校就应该瞄准顶级工作,这类工作前15名以后的学校确实非常难进。但是如果是9万左右比较好的工作,是否是前15名的学校就不重要了。

答:there're different understanding of "top" job. Someone might really like consultanting/IB but others might not like. Also those job that looks ordinary might be actually very interesting. For example graduates in 2006, the girl entered Bank of American actually got Mikensy offer(China) but she rejected. And you might be interested to know that the salary of the Danaher one is higher than 100K.

That said, IB is challanging for Chinese in Darden though it's not impossible. So if you are set to do IB after graduates, you might wanna consider those "finance school". Consultanting is a strength of Darden's placement though no one can ensure you get and MC offer.

问:毕业后的薪酬怎么样?

答:It's really depends what industry are you in. if you want to earn 200-300K in IB, you probably need to work 100 hours, if you want to earn 100K in consultanting, you probably need to work 60-70 hours, if you want to earn 80K-130K in industry (it's very rough number) you probably work 40-60 hours.

问:能介绍下今年(07年)的情况吗?

答:Below is the update of job placement information of Chinese Darden MBA class of 08 and 07:

class 08's summer intern: Class 08, all of us got summer internship offers (some got multiple offers) : (1) Bain &Company (MC in hongkong), (1) Danaher (General Managent, USA), (1) Avaya (Supply Chain Management, USA); Constellation Energy (Corporate Finance, USA)  ,GE China, Johnson&Johnson (Marketing, CHINA), and a Venture Capital firm in Washington D.C. 

Class 07: Full-time: 7 chinese students in total: all of them have got offers : Tyco International (Corporate finance, USA), Enrst &Young (Leadership program, USA), (2) Lexis Nexis(Leadership program), Johnson&Johnson (Corporate finance, CHINA) , Bain (China) ,and PBM Products (pharmaceuticals--General management, USA).

问:Darden 毕业后去buy side, portforlio management 的多么?

答:It is not easy to get a job with a buy side investment management firm from any school. Darden has a Capital Management Club, and I know many of them (most of them are Americans) got a job in portfolio management. Companies do come to recruit at Darden, such as T.Rowe.Price, Fidelity, MetLife, EverGreen Investment, etc. But you need to network off-campus as well to reach out to those mutual & hedge funds. If this is your main focus, you may want to consider those finance schools, such as Chicago, NYU, Wharton, etc. (they have a better alum network in buy side)

菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

赞stream!

many  thanks !!!!!!!![em01]

楼主辛苦了![em01]

many  thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

many  thanks !!!!!!!!!

再次感谢!

Darden也没有动静啊

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%