返回列表 发帖

Rotman MBA essay - sample

U of T, Rotman MBA essay - 1
1. Discuss your personal and professional development over the past five years and describe how these changes have led you to choose to do your MBA at this time. What are your career goals and how will a Rotman MBA help you to achieve them?

To me, life is like a round of golf. To win, I have to think two or three moves ahead every time I hit the ball. Before every move, I have to ask myself, “Where do I need to put this ball to make my next shot as easy as possible?” This time the answer is to land a MBA to earn a birdie in the next hole of my life.

After discovering that software can improve our lives significantly, I became passionate about this industry. My working experiences as a postionA at CompanyA and as a positionBC at both CompanyB and CompanyC prove that technology alone cannot guarantee the success of a project, however. As a key contributor to a project called projectC at CompanyC, I was excited by the cutting-edge technology used in the project. The project ended up aborted, however, because it was not financially and strategically aligned with the customer’s business goals. This experience strengthened my belief that I have to combine business skills with technical knowledge to succeed. Thus, I realize that I need to pursue a MBA to acquire core business skills, such as finance, operations, and business strategy, to be more solid in my career.

In my personal life, relativeD's 4-month hospital stay after surgery for sugeryD brought the health care industry to my attention. Fascinated by how essential the health care system is in our society and surprised by how primitive health care information systems are, I landed the position of positionD at D. In the short term, I need a MBA program that can accelerate the switch to this industry by providing better understanding of management in health care systems in Canada. My long-term career goal is to transform the health care system into a quality-centered system with information technology by leading the orgnizationD in D.

At Rotman, the integrative thinking approach will transform my way of thinking so I can think through the complexities of the health care service and drive action in a quickly-changing industry. In addition, the health sector management concentration at Rotman provides courses such as “Health Sector Strategy and Organization,” ”Health Care Marketing” and “Health Care Systems” that will analyze and develop a working knowledge of the health care system in the Canadian context; thus, the Rotman program will give me a better understanding of health care systems in Canada.  Furthermore, the balanced academic approach using case studies and lectures appealed to me after my class visit to Rotman. Finally, after interacting with Rotman students, I know that I will be surrounded by incredibly motivated individuals with whom I can form life-long friendships.

Aiming strategically, I am ready to tee off in the next hole of my life. With work, life and study to balance, I know there are bunkers and hazards along the fairway. By making every shot count, I am confident that I will earn a birdie.

[此贴子已经被admin于2007-8-2 14:23:21编辑过]

收藏 分享

U of T, Rotman MBA essay - 2
2. One of the Rotman School's underlying principles is the value of one; this value reflects the belief that each member of the Rotman community has unique needs and talents. What are your greatest talents and/or abilities and how would each enhance the experience of your classmates?

We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. With more than X1 years experience in different industries including banks, retailing, telecom and healthcare in both Canada and China, I am confident that I have a lot to contribute to the Rotman community.

In year X2, I started a brand new departmentA as a manager at CompanyA by quickly building a X3-person team from scratches. Target-oriented, I led my team and successfully fulfilled revenue of US$X4M, US$X5M more than the revenue target of the year. With my leadership and collaborative skills, I would like to share professional experiences with women and promote women in all aspects of business and management. Now as a working mom of a 3-years-old, I deeply understand how important to empower women either at work or in personal life. I have the desire to make a difference and to improve the lives of women.

In addition, my passion and vision about the software industry will add value to my classmate by leveraging technology in businesses. Furthermore, with more than X6 years working experience at both companyB and companyC, I would like to share my insights about IT consulting field with my classmates. Finally, I hope that my international experience can bridge the cultural gap between Asia and Canada in the classroom.

At the same time, I will proactively learn from other talented Rotman students. Individually, I am one drop. Rotman community together, we are an ocean.

U of T, Rotman MBA essay - 3

3. Imagine that ten years from now a colleague is describing you to a new employee. What will s/he say about you that you are not known for now? How will you achieve these new skills?

“She can build models of the ‘big picture’ by putting together the jigsaw pieces of a complex business problem. By implementing the best model that resolves tensions, she turns challenges into opportunities. She contributes significantly to transforming the Ontario health care system into a quality-centered and technology-powered system by successfully combining skills in finance, strategic management and operation management with those in information technologies.” My colleague will introduce me with the above comments. 

On one hand, I will pursue a MBA at Rotman to achieve these new skills in integrative thinking, finance, strategy management and operation management. The more I read about Rotman, the more I am excited by Rotman’s revolutionary hallmark of integrative thinking. In addition, Rotman’s pioneering curriculum in health sector management will prepare me to advance my career in the health sector.

On the other hand, as a part-time student, I will apply the new skills I learn in class to my current job immediately. In my current job as a positionD at D, I often feel overwhelmed by ambiguous business problems with incomplete and uncertain information. By using real business problems as study cases, I will hone my new skills in my real work.

Believing in learning by doing and thinking before doing, I will keep practicing those skills in my career, and acquiring new skills whenever necessary. I am today where my wills have brought me, and I will be tomorrow where my wills take me.

U of T, Rotman MBA essay - 4

4. Describe a professional experience when you did not live up to your full potential. What would you do differently if you had to do it over again?

Good judgment comes from experience, which, unfortunately, comes from bad judgment. The SystemC was a mammoth project that built a complex integrated system connecting different systems of Bell Canada Enterprise, involving many internal and external teams in the top three IT consulting companies in Toronto. As a positionC, I led a team of X1 from companyC to develop and deliver the integration part of the system. It is a pity that I did not live up to my full potential during the migration.

The mistake was that I did not respond properly when the Data Base Administrator (DBA) team took risks to modify the migration plan to shorten the process under pressure from the clients. The change made some migrated data invalid, which in turn caused a domino effect in the systems. “Whatever can go wrong will.” When the system received invalid data, the potential problems became real problems.  If I could do it again, I would collaborate with the DBA team more efficiently to fully understand and correctly calculate the risks. Then I would provide a brief SWOT analysis to the clients and let them know how risky it could be. Once I won support from the clients, I would require the DBA team to stick to the original migration plan to prevent the ad-hoc situation in the first place.

With this tough experience under my belt, I will improve myself to think strategically, communicate persuasively and collaborate efficiently under pressure to face future challenges.

这套范文写的真不赖![em01]

谢谢分享!

thanks for sharing!

thanks for sharing!

just looking for it!

thanks a lot!

[em01]

我来看看。。。

我来看看学习经验

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务