返回列表 发帖

NEU & UMD & CASE 三家学校的信息Information is power~

因为自己之前也是在考虑选校啊,所以就通过自己能够联系上的学姐,学长,学姐的学姐,学姐的学姐的学姐,盆友的美国教授,行内的一个咨询......都满地打滚泪流满面四处凿洞的勾兑了一遍........
唔,那啥,在大家看下面的信息之前,先要说一下:因为每一个人的生活背景不一样,教育背景不一样,偏好性需求不一样,对待相同的事情会有不同的看法,所以秉着开明,包容的态度,参考信息,分享看法。这是促进信息的交流,也更加能够帮助做出符合自己的判断。

下面的这些信息,都是有他们的主观性在里边的,请各位在看的时候,自己冷静判断,多问问自己几个为啥,这即是在努力认清学校,更是在努力认清自己。

在家靠父母,粗门靠盆友,如果大家有什么有用信息,亦欢迎大家站出来分享一下。【抱拳】

NEU 东北大学 northeast university
【第一位信息提供者】

Well, here are my questions:
1 How is the course arrangement? (Some people told me it is tough while some people told me it is ok for a student who majors in finance in undergraduate school.) For me, I want to learn some deeper knowledge, practical skills and some specific tracks(corporate finance or such) I don't know whether NEU will be a proper decision for me.

2 How is the career service? Will it be relatively easy for an international student find an internship or full time job? (I plan to find a job after graduation)

Thank you for your warm heart!

对方
U can know the course arrangement by visiting the website. But in my mind it's really easy to understand all course. By the way, Which track are u choosing? Day time or night time?
The MSF in NU not offers APT or coop program. However only the day time MSF program includes career management for career service.
Why do u want to study in NU?

I choose the night time because only this track can be extended to half one year. I think that may be helpful for me to find an internship or even a full time job. The track of day time is fixed. It must be finished in one year.

For me, I think NU has good reputation and location. I have visited the website of the course arrangement. From the website, I think it is fine. But I don't know it is more practical or more theoritical.

对方
Night time track is perfect. I recommend
U to choose night time track. But it's not easy for international student to find job here. Whatever it's up to your professional background. I believe it's easy for u find job and I'd like to study other university not NU, the USNEWS not means everything.

Wow, what's the advantages of night time track?(Yes I have already choose the night time) And, could you please tell me why you say you would like to study other university not NU? Or what disadvantages does NU have?

对方
If your basic knowledge of Fina is very well the advantage of night track may improve your analyst by case study and communication by team study. There is much more time you can use to prepare for CFA. But few special advantages on Job searching. The fundamental requirement for American firms is your work experience and professional skills background.
There is some famous schools in Boston, NU is not end but not top too. In some American minds NU is just a local school, same with UMASS or Suffolk. Meanwhile too many Chinese join the pathway program even without T grade. So the mind in Chinese is not quite well as the ranking says.If u back home after graduation the NU can not be more competitive than other overseas students.
However it's up to ur choice. Boston is a very nice place to live you will have easy life if your aim is just for a master degree.
收藏 分享

【第二位信息提供者】
1. My classes are during the daytime, while my roommates are in the night time track. If your undergraduate major is finance, the classes won’t be too difficult for you because you have covered most of these courses already. I would suggest you review the following parts:
1)        Corporate finance
2)        Mathematics, especially the probability, expectation and integration. Very easy part for you right now, but you might forget them when you come here later.
3)        Econometrics (Regression)
4)        Learn some statistical analysis and programming soft wares such as Matlab, Stata , SPASS and C++. The more you know the better. Matlab is required.

2 . Last year, just two Chinese student got the job and stay in the US. You should involve in more networking event to get the chance. The career service is good. They will help you work on the resume, cover letter, interviews and anything you would like to know. However, I don’t think the location of NU plays an important role when you are looking for the internship or full-time jobs.

3. It is hard to say. = = They may stay up and get up very late or study at the library in the library. Make more friends in your spare time and this is really helpful.

4. If you are looking for good career opportunities, MBA/MSF would be the best choice. Last year, all the MBA/MSF students got the internship or full-time job. This is how co-op differentiates from us.

Hope this helps.

University of Maryland 和 Case Weastern Reserve University

【第一位信息提供者---某资深咨询,某大型美企在职】
【我】
Hi,

Thank you very much.

I think

For CWRU:

1、It has a lot of case studies, which make me feel challenging and exciting. And I can study with MBA. It has some special tracks in Finance (Corporate Finance and Risk Management), which is selective. CWRU also have capstone courses, in which students can deal with real world problems.

2、Faculty in CWRU is nice. Professors tend to know students’ name. We can build a close relationship and share our perspective.

3、I appreciate the value of CWRU. Passion and hardworking matter more than intelligence.

On the other hand, it has some disadvantages:

1、The location of CWRU seems less competitive. Cleveland is not a big city. It may be a little hard to find an internship in local.  The alumni resource is strong in Cleveland but maybe not that good in Chicago or New York. (Students seem to find internship in summer. Maybe I can find an internship in other cities. I don’t know whether it is convenient to find internship in other cities. Or other cities will consider local students in priority.)

2、Although CWRU has good ranking in America, it is not that famous in China compared with UMD.

3、For me, I want to enjoy both studying and life. I don’t know whether I can have a good time in Cleveland.

For UMD,

1、I choose College park Campus. It has good campus facilities, such as libraries and gym.

2、According to one of the alumni, the course is hard enough for me to deal with the problem I will meet in the future. I have seen the course arrangement online. UMD are great school. So I think the courses should be fine.

3、UMD has good location. So I think it may be easier to find an internship.

On the other hand,

1、There are a lot of MSF students in DC, especially about 450 students will be enrolled in JHU【?我现在并不确定JHU的人数是多少,但是在当时据我所知是450,解释一下以免误导】. Though there are a lot of opportunities, there are a lot of students, too. (Students from JHU, GWU and AU)

2、I like case studies, in which I can handle some real world problems. That would be interesting. However, as far as I am concerned, UMD doesn’t emphasize too much on that.

I get that information from alumni and website. Choosing a school is an important decision. It almost decides the life in the next two years and will have continuous impact on my life and career. I really look forward to your advice and suggestions.

Again, thank you very much!

All my best wishes.

【对方】
Hi,

My recommendation is simple: UMD. Since you want to stay in the States after graduation, the placement situation becomes #1 factor for your school picking. Based on the experience from past years, you have pretty much zero chance to stay with CWRU; you have some chance to land a job with UMD given its location in between NYC and DC market.

The program quality are at the same level. No augument there. So UMD would be your best shot.
【补充说明一下,之前我有向其表达想找份工作(internship or job)积累一点工作经验,然后回国的想法】

【第二位信息提供者---美国教授】
问题基本是按照第一封略微修改下

【对方】
Congratulations on your admission to those schools. I think they are both good institutions.  CWRU has a well-respected MBA program. I think you are correct that the location of CWRU offers fewer internship opportunities than in the Washington, DC area. Perhaps you can ask CWRU about their success in placing students in internships.  As far as living conditions, I have never been to College Park but Washington has more to offer than Cleveland;  it is also more expensive and crowded. Cleveland is not as clean or impressive of a town and has less entertainment for young adults than Washington, especially if you are single, but I find it has its own character and more to offer than most people realize. It has all the major professional sports teams, a world class symphony orchestra, very good art museum, and a good variety of restaurants. It is also a relatively inexpensive place to live.

I think you are considering the correct factors when making this decision, but I have one question.  From you message it sounds like they are two different types of programs, an MBA and a MSF. Is this correct? Are you certain what type of career you want? Do you want to work in finance, or something more general? Do you want to be some type of financial analyst or do you want to be in management? It seems to me you should decide on your ultimate objective first and then select the program that will allow you to achieve your objective.  

I hope all of this helps. Please do not hesitate if you want to discuss more.

【再次解释说明一下,教授好像以为我在CWRU是念MBA,这大概是我英文表达....呃囧了...】
【然后我回复邮件解释了这个问题,说在学习的同时,生活也很重要,我想balance一下学习和生活,感受不同文化】

对方

You are most welcome for any help I can give. I understand your situation better now. The economy in the area around Cleveland has not been as good as in Washington for many years now. It is one of the poorer areas of the US. However, I agree with you that Cleveland reflects the Midwestern US culture with friendly people and you might like that. Washington is a more wealthy area with more educated people and a population that is more diverse. I think you would find the people there less friendly (many people say Midwestern people are more friendly than people in the big cities on the east coast.)

Academically, Maryland has a higher ranked Finance department than CWRU (the ranking I saw ranked Maryland 21st in the US). The importance of this depends to some degree on what your goals are. If you plan to go to a Ph.D. program in Finance after the MSF then I think it is important to go to the highest ranked program you can, since it will help you to get admitted to a higher ranked Ph.D. program. If instead you plan to work after completing the MSF program, then the ranking is less important. Perhaps interacting with people in the MBA program at CWRU would be helpful in getting a job after the MSF program.

I hope all this helps.

然后有几个在UMD和CWRU的已读(工作或者完成学业去了其他学校)或者在读,因为是用微信啊,电话啊什么的,我就总结一下吧(原内容复述)

UMD
1、CP校区和DC校区隔的没有你想的那么近,建议最好买车。
2、课程我个人觉得很扎实(学姐本科ACCA),很难,我现在的工作情况3-5年之内不会使用更深的东西。
3、DC很繁华,还可以和他们JHU、GWU的学生一块儿玩(LZ问学姐你玩的high不high)
4、找实习看个人,DC主要是和政府相关的一些机会最多,但是金融类的也不少,基本上来说,努力了的大多还是有好结果。
5、注意安全,晚上没事别跑出去(我问的CP)
6、CP校区校园体验感非常好,设施优良,有在美国读大学的感觉,招聘信息多。

CWRU
1、cleveland应该说算是曾繁荣过的工业大城市,(LZ问是不是穷山恶水啊?),肯定比不上西海岸繁华,但是非常有自己的文化特色,人民非常友好。工作机会cleveland还是有的,还可以在周边的一些城市去找一找。
2、CWRU的老师很nice,capstone课程很棒,对能力提升很大。
3、risk management需要学习coding等,对计算机要求会更高,但是不用担心跟不跟的上,好好学没有问题。
4、CWRU学校和机构会组织一些比赛,可以好好把握一下,对自己的能力提升非常大。

谢谢卤煮分享,太有爱了!!!!!

学习经验

额  NEU原来跟umass 还有suffolk差不多 - -

just for a look!

打个酱油我就走!

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%