返回列表 发帖

Tuck(塔克)故事 by Tuck2012

"This, sir, is my case. It is the case not merely of that humble institution, it is the case of every college in our land... Sir, you may destroy this little institution; it is weak; it is in your hands! I know it is one of the lesser lights in the literary horizon of our country. You may put it out. But if you do so you must carry through your work! You must extinguish, one after another, all those greater lights of science which for more than a century have thrown their radiance over our land. It is, sir, as I have said, a small college. And yet there are those who love it!"

—— Daniel Webster (Dartmouth College v. Woodward)

在这里,我们选择了Daniel Webster在1816年的听证会上做出的著名陈词作为新一期Tuck故事的开始。1816年,New Hampshire州政府要求将Dartmouth College收回作为州立大学,而Daniel作为Dartmouth的律师,在听证会上为了捍卫自己的母校慷慨陈词。他最终胜利了。而他在陈词中所说的“It is, sir, as I have said, a small college. And yet there are those who love it!"也变成了所有Dartmouth校友的信条,在校园里随处可见。而他本人,也因为这次著名的申诉,成为Dartmouth’s favourite son。

可以说,没有Daniel Webster,就没有现在的常青藤Dartmouth College,更没有建于1900年的Tuck商学院。每一个Dartmouth的学生,不管是本科生、Dartmouth Medical School的学生、 Thayer School of Engineering的学生、还是 Tuck School of Business的学生,都因为“Dartmouth students”这个统一的身份连接起来,亲如家人。这是Dartmouth的传统,也是Tuck引以为豪的Close community的根源。

Tuck是一个很特别的学校,它并不适合每一个人。希望通过这一期的Tuck(塔克)故事,能让大家更加深入和全面的了解这所学校的过去、现在与未来,从而做出最适合自己的选择。

Tuck MBA是一个很小的program,两届学生加起来不过500人左右。而整个Dartmouth College也不过5000余人。Yes, it's small. And yet there are those, us, who love it!
收藏 分享
菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

Tuck之Hiking篇 冻泳篇 宠物篇

身为一个伪户外迷,我一直对外人宣称,自己那点爱好叫“hiking”。直到和一位资深Tuck校友共同沿着45度的山路一路抓着草和树根,拄着登山杖胸前挂着对讲机,负重爬了一座小小的山头之后,我正式决定将“hiking”这一条从简历里去掉。

虽然我是一只hiking的菜鸟,但Tuck的hiking可绝不是徒有虚名。在美国,有一条著名的徒步路线——Appalachian Trail,其中最美丽的一段就经过Dartmouth。站在Dartmouth校内,这条Trail就从校园里的Big Green(一块大绿草坪)中间穿过去,进入丛林深处。Dartmouth周围方圆几十公里的山都是属于学校的,而这个trail经过Dartmouth的这几十公里就是由Dartmouth的outing club维护的。

曾经校友讲过一个非常有趣的故事。话说这条路很容易走失,所以outing club的人在树上都做了标记,只要跟着标记走,就不会丢。这位校友是个hiking迷,有一天自己背着包就出发了。有标记是没错,画在树上,一面是白色,一面是蓝色。可是,这些树都是一种叫做白桦的植物,上面斑斑点点的花白图案,若不走近,很容易找不到标记。走了没几步,校友就发现自己迷路了,老老实实原路返回,决定以后跟着大部队再走一次。即使是hiking,也要teamwork的

这条几十公里的hiking路线是Dartmouth人的骄傲。在毕业的时候,outing club会组织一个叫做50 mile hike的活动,就是24小时不眠不休走完这条路,挑战自己的极限。走完的人,就是英雄。

说到这里,虽然Dartmouth小而精,被许多人称为“白人精英文化”,是“贵族学校”,她也是一所很crazy,很勇于挑战自己的学校。Hanover的冬天非常冷,零下几十度的气温。学校里的人会在冻成冰的河面上凿出一个冰窟窿。一个个裹着大衣,里面只穿一件游泳裤的男生踏着冰就走过来了。到了窟窿边,大衣一拖,会有一个人用绳子套着他的上半身,然后这位勇士就要跳进窟窿里。站在岸上的人会立刻将他拉出来,防止温度过低失去知觉。为了表彰他的勇敢,会发给他一枚小小的北极熊纪念章,欢天喜地的拿着走,将来作为给儿子女儿炫耀的资本。

走在Dartmouth校园里,随处可见猫猫狗狗们欢天喜地的跑着撒欢,无拘无束的享受自由的生活。森林里也有各种动物,小鹿、野兔、甚至是棕熊。在Tuck,宠物是可以进课堂的跟着一起免费听课的,没人会将它们赶出去。听一位Dartmouth的校友讲过一个故事。曾经有一位慷慨的校友,给Dartmouth捐了1000万美元。学校问他,是否愿意用自己的名字为一座楼命名。他拒绝了。提出的唯一要求,就是从此之后,只要在Dartmouth校园里,所有的狗都不能用链子。1000万美元,换来了宠物自由。

这就是Dartmouth,一个安详和平的地方;一个所有人都会认得你,和你打招呼的地方;一个你遇到困难会伸来无数援手的地方;一个你也会逐渐变得和他们一样,随时乐于帮助别人、分享所得的地方;一个即使连宠物,都能得到安详的地方。
菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

一个关于Tuck的真实回忆 —— 来自Tuck中国校友的心声
作者:Jackie Chen, T'06
Vice President, EF Education Group, North China Operation

Before Tuck. My experiences were mostly in media management including six years with Dow Jones working on both the editorial and business sides, and acting as a co-founder, Deputy Editor-in-Chief of New Fortune magazine.

What I wanted from business school was a combination of life experience and finance learning. I did take a fair amount of finance courses at school; though I eventually ended up with a general management job in a training business.

After Tuck. I joined EF Education Group – a privately-owned Swedish language training organization. Despite my summer internship with Goldman Sachs and other brand name company opportunities available, I finally chose EF. It was a promising industry and the company seemed to understand the value of an MBA.

English training is a highly fragmented market, even more so in China. When I visited the EF offices in Boston, Hong Kong, and Shanghai I was surprised to see how many Ivy League alumni passionately worked there. I made my decision when the CEO said to me:
“We provide people general management challenges in their thirties that others may not
have the chance to try in their forties.” It did not take me long to find out why.

Armed with just a copy of the city map immediately after landing in Guangzhou, I was off on my journey to open the first EF English Learning Center in South China. After several months of struggling with site selection, building government relationships, hiring in a zero brand awareness market, and running office administrative work on my own, we finally opened the first center after six months. Starting there, I quickly opened nine centers in 16 months, the staff grew from one to nearly 400, and we helped over 20,000 students change their lives through the learning of English and western culture.

Now. I joined EF as a Sales & Marketing Director four years ago, and I am now Vice
President responsible for EF’s South China operation. Most recently, I’ve accepted the
offer to move to Beijing to take over the North China operation. It is definitely a new challenge as Beijing is the most important market for training businesses. Unlike the South
where I started from scratch, my next team is a mature team calling for next-stage development.

Turning Point. Today. The tears are still there with my team after the announcement
that I’ll move to Beijing. It is a hard decision to say goodbye, but I know I am good to go
because the team is ready. It is also a turning point because my whole family is leaving the
city we’ve lived in for over 15 years. We hope everyone can cope with the lifestyle change
smoothly, and we keep a positive attitude all the time.

Most fulfilling part of my job. Watching people develop. The majority of my staff were born in the 1980s. Managing them is by and large a coaching job. When I am stuck at work (or life), I go to talk with my youngsters. By helping them think through one or two key challenges, I always find myself getting unstuck as well.

What I miss about Tuck. My study group (boys, you scared me so much at the beginning with your power and talent, and amazingly you all turned out to be my best friends!) who taught me to speak up in public. I am grateful for the extremely friendly environment that allowed me vast opportunities to try new things. Sally Jaeger allowed me to cry hours in her office when I was homesick. The Career Development
Office – networking was painful to start with, but you’ve successfully trained me into naturally loving it because you arranged enough events to practice.

Without Tuck, I would not have the confidence to be running my big job today.
Most significant accomplishment. My son.
Favorite toy. Lego’s “City” line. (Actually
my son’s favorite.)
Favorite book. Love reading lots of books,
a recent reading: Influencer: The Power to Change Anything by Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, David Maxfield, Ron McMillan, and Al Switzler.
Worst job. Consultant to a State Owned Enterprise – fortunately a short stint.
Advice for students. Genuinely appreciate what you have now, because you’ll miss everything after graduation. Go the fireside chats, keep up with hockey practice, and even enjoy Byrne Hall. Well, at least for me, I miss these much!
菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

可算从Outward bound活着回来,又过了忙碌的Orientation,地狱般的Fall A term即将开始~
先扔几张照片~~
10090612098073bbf4e174e762.jpg

故事从Outward bound开始。我们是OB II,很不幸遇到了风暴,三艘小船在惊涛骇浪中起伏颠簸,船上的instructors都貌似镇定,下船后私下里说,其实害怕的不得了。而我们这群初生的牛犊们完全不知危险,除了晕船晕的一塌糊涂,倒还是开心的。风平浪静后,夕阳下的航行,也变得分外美丽了
菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

如前辈所说,outward bound最残酷的是每天早上都要在5点跳进冰冷的海水里。未经历前在紧张,不知会如何。可真正经历过之后,才明白,那是整个过程中最美妙、最轻松的时刻。水大概十几度,真正跳进去后,冷也是一瞬间的事。不会游泳?没关系,带着救生圈,照样跳,没有逃避的借口。
1.jpg
菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

OB其中有一天是在岛上做community service,大雨过后,在满是雨水的树林里安营扎寨,第二天一早,睡袋、衣服全湿了。但Dip照样不能免掉。不免佩服美国人民的冒险精神,在25英尺高的岩石上跳进海里。换上泳衣,同船一个不会游泳的印度小gg问我,跳不跳?我说,跳。于是一同跳。
2.jpg
菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

在船上,最难熬的是换衣服和上厕所,尤其是对女生。开始还犹豫,后来也顾不得许多,本就是在过野人生活,哪里还那么多讲究。晚上,结束一天的航行,大家聚集在一起,讨论当天的收获,讲故事,在狭小的船舱里做饭、搭帐篷、睡觉。
晚上,为了避免被其他船撞,需要安排anchor watch,每人值夜一小时。宁静的海面,一轮明月,满天繁星,清凉的空气。几乎没人会忘记,是在这里,我们看到了最美的月光
3.jpg
菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

OB结束的那一天,所有人凑在一起开Party,几天下来,不论国籍、不论民族,都变成了好朋友。没什么特别,只因为都经历过这样一段疯狂的时光,做过一些只有“船上人”才知道的事。有人说它amazing,有人说它terrible,但没人会轻易忘记。而对我来说,是的,这是一段最棒的经历,毫不后悔选择这个program。在未来的人生中,还会时不时的想起那艘小船,船头的小黄桶,躺在甲板上晕船晕的昏天黑地,每天的Dip,还有那海面的月光,但是,我想大概不会再来一次了
4.jpg
菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

再来看看Tuck
先介绍一下我们的宿舍楼。毫不掩饰的说,我爱死这个宿舍了,不只因为它的精致和先进的设备,方便人性化的设计。最喜欢的,就是坐在宿舍里,在每天早上太阳升起的时候,对着楼后面的森林,一边呼吸新鲜,一边喝咖啡。在这样的地方看书、学习,还有什么好抱怨的呢?

宿舍一层的大厅,可以开party,可以坐在那里看书,天气好还可以去露台上晒晒太阳,欣赏森林和远处的流水~

5.jpg
菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

痛苦的Fall A结束了,在Fall A和Fall B的break里去了纽约拜访各大bank,收到了校友们的热烈欢迎。在纽约的每一天,都会想念Hanover平静祥和的生活。几个美国同学问我们对纽约什么印象,我说大城市都差不多,纽约可能更像香港,但Hanover,绝对是天堂。回到学校后,在break的最后一天,根据惯例,一位Tuck的教授举办每年一度的BBQ。这位教授是创业成功后来到Tuck教学,每年在他家举办BBQ,所有的faculty、students、partners都会来参加,今年更是达到了空前的300人的规模。一路上看着Hanover美丽的秋景,再累也值了~

6.jpg
菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%

查看