返回列表 发帖

Business School Profiles- Class Size/ Average Age/ GPA/ Work Experience

Business School Profiles- Class Size/ Average Age/ Average GPA/ Average Work Experience

The following sheet would give you an idea about the class size at various Business Schools.Class size is one of the important factors that students consider while selecting a Business School. Both small class size and large class size have their own benefits. Here are some of the excerpts that I gathered from Business Week and various Schools. Read on.
Benefits of a Small Community as mentioned by students.
Babcock is a very integrated program that enabled me to learn a lot about a variety of disciplines such as finance, operations, marketing, etc. In addition, the small size fosters a close relationship between students and faculty. Finally, alumni and other staff were readily available to assist in career search and other aspects of the MBA program. — Investment Banking
The Simon School’s class size is small and it allows the students to have a lot of face time with professors and career management staff. Additionally, I am much more capable to tackle real-life business decisions than I was before I began my MBA program. — Operations
I loved Stanford’s MBA program - the size of the class created a real sense of community that made the experience so worthwhile and rich. I got so much out of my 2 years there, both in and out of the classroom, and learned a great deal about myself. — Marketing
Stanford’s small size doesn’t allow anyone to get lost in the cracks. — Marketing
收藏 分享

Benefits of a Large Community:

Our community’s size and breadth create a club for almost every interest, from professional opportunities to sports, hobbies, and community service. Each year’s clubs are shaped by the interests of the incoming MBA class – so if you don’t find what you’re looking for, it’s an opportunity to create it!– The Wharton School
I had high expectations for Wharton given the school has a reputation that precedes itself. The students are extremely down to earth, and have unbelievable experiences. And the sheer size of the class – for me, I wanted a larger network versus smaller one. At the hedge fund this summer, I’ve already tapped into other classmates interning at other firms. I was looking at a stock the other day and I remembered that two of my friends were interning at the company this summer. I called them to ask questions. It’s unbelievable to me how quickly you can use that network. The Wharton School
“I came to HBS because I liked the large class size,” says Bobby. “It’s a great way to meet a lot of different people with varied interests and experiences. The large number of international students—about 30 percent of the class—brings a wide range of perspectives to the cases we discuss.” Harvard Business School

Business School Profiles- Average Age

Every now and then I receive queries regarding the “right” age to attend the Business School. I always answer that there is no right or wrong age to gain education. If you are determined to pursue an MBA, age is irrelevant. It is more important that YOU should know your objective of doing an MBA. Roughly, the age range at various Business Schools varies from 24 to 41. The reason a lot of older applicants get worried about the age factor is peer cohort. Generally Business School applicants with 35+ age look for EMBA, online or part time programmes and applicants with an age range of 26-30 look for Full Time MBA programmes. But this doesn’t hold true for all. For older applicants “Why MBA now” becomes a crucial question to answer. Older applicants are generally married, have kids, have gained enough leadership and personal life experience so taking a break from regular stream of income would need a lot of introspection. The maximum learning in a typical MBA class takes place by peer interaction. While younger candidates (applicants in an age group of 25-30 and with 3-4 years of work experience) have exuberance, and fresh ideas to contribute, older candidates have success stories, and real life experience to share with the class.
These days Business Schools are also welcoming a lot of early career (Generally, applicants with fewer than three years of full-time work experience. This group includes individuals who want to pursue an MBA directly following undergraduate study with no prior full-time work experience.) applicants. This is what Stanford’s Dean Robert Joss has to say about early career applicants.

What do students with less work experience contribute?Professors observe that early-career students are able to contribute along with those who have more work history. Early-career applicants may have fewer work experiences, but it is the quality of their experiences and not the quantity that matters, and we select all our students for the quality of what they bring. Different early-career applicants make different contributions, just as is the case with other demographic groups that make up the class—and that’s the point: We admit people as individuals, and by having outstanding early-career applicants in the pool, we have a stronger pool from which to select. Each person makes his or her own unique and valuable contribution to the whole, and each receives individual benefits from the program.
Recruiters strongly support the presence of some early-career students in the program. These students are sometimes more flexible about the location and types of positions they consider, and they can be more patient in the career years immediately after the MBA—factors that lead to considerable placement success for them. Our emphasis has always been quality of experience rather than quantity, focusing on what applicants have achieved relative to their opportunities. If you know an outstanding prospect who has demonstrated strong leadership qualities, please encourage him or her to apply—no matter what the career stage.
Following sheet would give you a rough idea about the average age or the age range at various Business Schools.

Business School Profiles- Average GPA

Is it possible to get into a top business school with a low GPA?
Yes it is. Read low GPA success stories.
What is the average GPA accepted by top Business Schools?
Refer to the sheet below.

Will recruiters reject me because my low GPA?
Not all recruiters accept or reject candidates solely based on the stats. Students at various business schools are selected holistically; each one has something unique to bring on the table.
Low GPA or Low GMAT or both?
Answer : Either. You cannot get into a good Business School with overall low stats.
Do I need to score high in GMAT because my GPA is way below the average GPA of my dream Business School?
Yes. You would have to demonstrate your ability to perform academically somewhere at least. Take responsibility for not scoring high in your undergrad than making excuses for it. You high score in GMAT will help you show your self awareness about your low stats and that you have matured over the years . The simple rule- if one aspect of your application is weak, work hard on making others aspects strong. Make your high GMAT score, extra curriculars, essays, stories about your leadership qualities, resume, and work experience shine in your application. If you still want to talk in numbers then aim at getting 720+ score in case of low GPA.

Average/ Median GPA* across various Business Schools (click to enlarge)
1.jpg

*Class of 2010

Business School Profiles- Average Work Experience

I think I have started enjoying the process of updating TotalGadha GMAT daily. There is something new to look forward to everyday-new topics, new challenges, new words, and old me.
Today’s post is about the average work experience accepted by various US Business Schools. I have added whatever available information that I could find related to work experience- middle 80% range, average work exe and median work exe. The following sheet would help you do some SWOT analysis on ” Do need to have work experience to get into a Business School?” The answer is no but it is preferable. There is a pool of early career applicants (candidates with 0-2 years of work experience), who apply to Business Schools every year. To help you determine if applying as an early career candidate

02.jpg
*Class of 2010

Business School Profiles- Average Work Experience

I think I have started enjoying the process of updating TotalGadha GMAT daily. There is something new to look forward to everyday-new topics, new challenges, new words, and old me.
Today’s post is about the average work experience accepted by various US Business Schools. I have added whatever available information that I could find related to work experience- middle 80% range, average work exe and median work exe. The following sheet would help you do some SWOT analysis on ” Do need to have work experience to get into a Business School?” The answer is no but it is preferable. There is a pool of early career applicants (candidates with 0-2 years of work experience), who apply to Business Schools every year. To help you determine if applying as an [url=http://www.totalgadha.com/gmat/2009/02/what-everybody-ought-to-know-about-work-experience/]early career candidate is right for you, Chicago Booth has given the following guidelines:Applicants in Final Year of College
If you are in your final year of college and thinking about whether or not to apply to Chicago Booth, we look for students with the following qualities:

Quality work experience (such as professional internships and an entrepreneurial spirit)
Competitive GPA (3.3 or higher on 4.0 scale)
Competitive GMAT score
Student leadership role(s) during college
Intellectual curiosity
Two recommendations, including one from an internship supervisor and one from a professor (three letters are preferred)
Demonstrates the ability to question the status quo, engage in the process of learning, and thrive on an academic challenge
Personal maturity
Ability to talk about why you want to get an MBA now

Applicants with One Year of Full-time Work Experience

If you are currently in your first year of employment and considering whether or not to apply to Chicago Booth, we look for individuals with the following qualities:

Quality full-time work experience
Competitive GPA (3.3 or higher on 4.0 scale)
Competitive GMAT score
Student leadership role(s) during college
Intellectual curiosity
Two recommendations (one must be a nomination from a supervisor indicating why going for an MBA now makes sense)
Demonstrates the ability to question the status quo, engage in the process of learning, and thrive on an academic challenge
Consistently a top performer getting noticed by supervisors as having above average potential
Personal maturity
Ability to talk about why you want to get an MBA now

These guidelines will give you a rough idea about whether you must apply to a Business School as an early career applicant or wait for a few more years, gain sufficient experience at your work place and then apply. More than the quantity of work experience, it’s the quality that would make the mark distinction. Do a thorough analysis of of your profile and take a calculated decision.

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%

查看