返回列表 发帖

【JHU MSF 答疑帖】JHU Master of Science in Finance(03/05/2014 更新)

【02/20/2014 更新】
【03/05/2014 更新】

大家好,我是JHU的小米,明天约了和负责Finance招生的Director见面,在这里汇总一下各位对MSF项目以及申请上存在的问题,希望能够通过这种方式为你们答疑解惑。欢迎各位在帖子下面留言和讨论!

【温馨提示】:各位在问问题的时候尽量能够问得具体一些,并且为了能够共享更多的信息,请各位多在帖子下面留言,少私信,如果问题比较personal,也欢迎私信,我都会一一回复的!谢谢大家!~~祝各位申请顺利!

在收集了各位的问题后,我又想了一些入学前需要了解的问题并给出了回答,十分抱歉让各位久等了。因为一些问题需要和学校商讨,所以所有的问题和回答都是英文版,请各位仔细阅读,希望能够帮到大家!为了能够让更多申请者看到帖子,本帖设置了隐藏内容回复可见,多有不便请见谅! (2/26/2014)

Program

Whatare the differences between the full-time MSF and the part-time MSF programs?

The full-time MSF program is essentiallyfor students who have recently completed an undergraduate degree with minimalprofessional experience. The program will take one year to complete and classeswill take place during the day at our Baltimore and Washington D.C. campuses.

The part-time MSF program is geared towardworking professionals who take courses at their own pace. Classes are held inthe evenings and on weekends. Students are required to have at least two yearsof work experience. International students requiring F-1 visa can only apply tofull time program.

Howmany students will start the full-time MSF program in fall 2014?

The MS Finance program at Carey Business Schoolis offered at two separate campuses (Baltimore, MD and Washington, DC). The MSFinance has attracted a large number of highly qualified applicants this year.The final application deadline is March 3, 2014 for fall 2014 admissionconsideration. The Admissions process will be ongoing until April 2014. It isexpected that there will be four cohorts in Washington D.C. and several cohortsin our Baltimore campus. Each cohort has about 40-45 students. The cohortprovides students with a close learning community and a largersocial/professional network at the same time.

CanI switch from the full-time MSF program to the part-time MSF program?

No. If you are admitted into the full-timeMSF program, you must complete the degree in one year in accordance with theprogram plan. You will have some flexibility in choosing your electivecoursework in the latter part of your program, but you cannot switch to thepart-time program.

收藏 分享

Who will teach the classes? Where can I find information on my professors?
Are the same professors teaching in Baltimore and DC campus?
Classes are taught by a unique blend of a world-class full-time faculty and highly qualified
Washington-Baltimore area professionals who work at government organizations and in the financial industry. The combination of academic expertise and industry expertise builds the bridge between theory and practice, and helps our students to be better prepared for their future careers.

Please visit our website for more information regarding our full-time faculty and professional instructors: http://carey.jhu.edu/faculty-research/directory/

Carey faculty are teaching at all Carey Business School’s locations, including Washington, D.C. and Baltimore. The faculty are not assigned to a specific campus location.

Can MSF students elect MBA courses?

MSF students will take courses according to the requirements as outlined in the MS Finance curriculum. The Finance electives are offered both during the day time and evening, and students from MBA programs as well as professional/part time programs may take electives together.

Can MS Finance students take courses in other programs? Do students in the MS Finance program have an opportunity to take courses at other schools?
MS Finance students will follow the MS Finance curriculum as outlined in the Academic
Catalog, in order to meet the requirements for graduation. The students may be able to take courses in other programs or other JHU schools, with the adviser’s approval and considering that they met pre-requisite requirements – however the courses outside of the MS Finance curriculum will not be counted toward their MS Finance degree. In order to qualify for graduation from the
MS Finance program, students are required to complete 36 credits from the MS Finance curriculum.

Is Academic Calendar for 2014-2015 available?

The academic calendar is available on the school’s website:
http://carey.jhu.edu/students/academic-calendar-2014-2015

There is only program agenda of the first half year on website, when will that of the last half year be posted on the official website?
MS Finance full time program curriculum: http://carey.jhu.edu/academics/master-of-science/ms-in-finance/
The schedule of the classes will be provided to students during the MSF FT orientation. In the Fall semester students have required courses only. The elective courses will be offered in Spring 2015 semester and Summer 2015.

I heard that the number of electives reduced from 12 to 8. Courses such as Hedge Fund,Mergers and Acquisitions,Financial Econometrics,Wealth Management,Global Asset Allocation disappear on the official website. Does it mean students in 2014 program can’t select those courses?
Current students should work with their academic adviser to discuss the elective courses that they can select, to meet requirements of the MS Finance program.
The curriculum for the incoming students (for Fall 2014 start ) is outlined here:  
http://carey.jhu.edu/academics/master-of-science/ms-in-finance/

CAMPUS AND HOUSING

I have been admitted. Where will my classes take place?
The  program  will  be  offered  in  two  Johns  Hopkins  Carey  Business  School’s  campuses: Washington,  D.C. and Baltimore. Every admitted student will be placed into a cohort and assigned a campus location, at the time of admissions. All students in the cohort will be working together at the same location throughout the twelve-month program. All of the classes for the program will take place at the campus where you are assigned. Once you received the location/campus confirmation, this assignment is final. At the time of paying your deposit, you secured the campus assignment. There will be no changes in the campus assignment.

Both campuses are located in the heart of the city and both locations provide many opportunities to meet with professionals in the industry, attend academic and professional events, meet with other Carey students and faculty, and build your professional network.

To learn more about Carey Business School’s campuses and their locations, we invite you to explore information on the website: http://carey.jhu.edu/about/campuses/

More information about both campuses and short term housing information for each campus will be provided in the Welcome Information Packet that will be sent to enrolled students in mid-May.

While you will be pursuing the program at a specific campus, we encourage students to visit other campuses and attend speaker events, career services and other events held at the other campus. There is an easy and inexpensive MARC commuter train connection between Baltimore and Washington, D.C., allowing travel from campus to campus within 1.5 hour.

I am new to the area. How do I find housing?
We do not provide on-campus housing for our students at the Carey Business School but have resources to assist you.

The following sites are available to help you in your housing search:
Baltimore
Downtown Baltimore: https://offcampushousing.carey.jhu.edu/The Off Campus Housing Office
Homewood: http://www.jhu.edu/hds/offcampus/ (Johns Hopkins undergrad campus)
Washington DC: http://carey.jhu.edu/uploads/fil ... Guide_2013-2014.pdf
The Washington DC Student Housing Guide also contains very helpful general information about choosing housing. Wherever you choose to live, we strongly encourage you to obtain renters insurance.
ADMISSIONS

How long do I have to decide if I will attend the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School?

Your admit letter will contain the specific date that you will need to decide and notify our
Admissions department. A deposit is required to confirm your acceptance of our admission offer
– see your admission letter for details. The deposit is applied toward your first semester tuition payment. The deposit is non-refundable.

I received a “conditional” offer. What does that mean?
You received a conditional offer because we are missing one of the following items in your application:
• An official, sealed transcript with degree conferred
• For degrees earned outside of the United States, an official course by course evaluation with degree conferred

You will need to provide this official document to us by the end of December 2014, at the end of your first semester. Some students are admitted conditionally based on other requirements needed such as MBA math or ESL.

For example, some students are admitted conditionally if their TOEFL score was below JHU
Carey minimum of 100. These students will be required to complete English language courses and demonstrate language proficiency as required by the school.

The details of the condition are contained in the admissions letter that is mailed to you after you have been admitted. It is your responsibility to follow up with Admissions office and other departments at Carey, to complete the requirements set up in the conditional admit letter, in order to graduate.

How do I know if I am required to take additional ESL classes?
We currently require a 100 TOEFL score or a 7 on the IELTS in order for a student to be admitted to the program. On rare occasions we will admit a student who scored below the minimum score.

You will be notified in your admit letter if you are required to enroll in ESL classes. You will be required to sign an ESL agreement letter and return the letter at the time you enroll in the program.

Why do I have a conditional requirement to take ESL if I scored at least a 100 on the TOEFL (or 7 on the IELTS)?
During the admissions process, the admissions committee considers that applicants full application including perceptions gathered during the interview and detailed scores found in speaking and writing section on the English Language test (such as TOEFL or IELTS). It is possible that a student’s total score might meet the minimum requirement but in order to be most successful at the Carey Business School the admissions committee believes the student will benefit from ESL courses. As a result, a condition has been placed on the applicant’s admission.

Do degrees earned outside of the U.S. need to be evaluated?
The Johns Hopkins Carey Business School requires that all degrees earned outside of the United
States be evaluated course- by- course to determine the equivalency of a U.S. earned degree. For the initial admission review process we will accept official sealed transcripts in English in lieu of the evaluation. However, if admitted it will be “conditionally” and a course- by- course evaluation will be required in order to satisfy the admission condition. For more details regarding this requirement and the authorized agencies we accept, please visit:
http://carey.jhu.edu/admissions/credentials.html

Please Note: If an applicant is currently pursuing a degree and a course- by -course evaluation is submitted that does not reflect the equivalency of a U.S. earned degree, the credential evaluation agency should be contacted once the degree is conferred and an updated evaluation stating that the degree meets the equivalency of a U.S. earned degree must be submitted. The agency will charge an additional but reasonable fee for this process.

I cannot get a JHED ID without a Social Security number, what should I do?

Our Admissions team has assigned a number to you if you do not have a social security number.
In order to find the number please follow the following steps:
• Log back into your online application
• Go to personal information – social security number
• An internal temporary number has been assigned, this is the number you need – the number begins with 988
• Please note that this is NOT a social security number, and has no validity outside of the
Johns Hopkins University.

Where should official documents be mailed?

All documents that are not submitted online should be sent to the following address:
Johns Hopkins Carey Business School
Office of Admissions
100 International Drive
Baltimore, MD 21202

CAREER SERVICES AND INTERNSHIP

Opportunity of communicating with native speakers and people with rich professional experience.
-        We strongly encourage international students to find roommates who are native English speakers or who have a different cultural background.
-        Attend various speaker events and lectures organized at Carey’s DC and Baltimore campuses; explore what events are offered
-        Look for professional networking opportunities in DC and Baltimore areas.

What type of career services are the MS Finance students provided with?
MS Finance students have unlimited access to our Coaching & Education Team.  As part of that access, MSF students will have an opportunity to meet with a career coach with no restrictions. MSF student will also have access to the following:
• Career Exploration and Skills Assessment
• Value Proposition Development
• Resume and Cover Letter Creation
• Networking
• Applications and Search Process Management
• Interview Skills
• Negotiation and Job Preparation
• Email alerts and job postings
• Calendar of events
• Career development tools (templates, guides, Carey Compass, Vault, GoingGlobal)

Can I work or get an internship while I am in the full-time MSF program?The full time MSF program requires students to attend classes during the day which does not allow students to have an internship position during the work day. Some students decide to explore the internship opportunity, working in the evenings and/or weekends. However, we strongly advise that full-time students focus on their program in the first semesters, to ensure that they meet all academic requirements. If the students decide to pursue a part-time internship or part-time job, it is their responsibility to make sure that they don’t have any schedule conflicts.

Students in F-1 status are allowed to work only under certain conditions, and only with authorization BEFORE the beginning of the employment. F-1 students must have completed at least one academic year (which is 2 semesters at Carey) in the U.S. before they are eligible for any paid off-campus employment. Additionally, the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School policy prohibits approval for student internships until students have spent at least one semester at
Carey.

Generally the work authorization that is used for F-1 students is Curricular Practical Training, or
CPT. This can be approved for part-time work (20 hours per week or less) during the semester.
Full-time CPT will only be approved during the summer or winter breaks. Unpaid internships can be authorized through CPT under certain circumstances. For more information on how to get work authorization for internships, please contact International Services at carey.intl@jhu.edu or 410-234-9280.

The students in one-year MS programs plan to receive an internship or a job after they have completed their degree. Some of the MS Finance graduates reported that they completed an internship or found a permanent work in the USA with such companies as Bloomberg, Blue
Ocean Global Wealth, and Telemet America.

We cannot guarantee that students will gain an internship during or immediately at the completion of the MSF program.

TUITION AND EXPENSES

What is the tuition for the Full-time MSF program?
The current tuition is based on the entire length of the program and is $ 56,200 (for academic year 2013-2014) for the entire program, including Fall, Spring and Summer semesters. The tuition for the program starting in fall 2014 for the 2014-2015 academic year will be announced shortly. The tuition information for the next academic year is announced for the whole Johns
Hopkins University, usually in April – May.
The students are responsible for any additional expenses, including text books for their courses; housing, meals and transportation, and other expenses that they may incur.

What is the cost for an F1 student?
The tuition for the program is the same for both domestic and international students with the additional expenses coming from gaining a visa, travel, etc.
To receive an I-20, F-1 students are required to show proof of financial resources to satisfy all tuition and living expenses for one academic year.

VISA QUESTIONS

I am an international student and I have questions regarding my visa, who should I contact?
Our International Student Services office will be happy to assist you with this process. They can be contacted by phone at 410-234-9280 or by email at carey.intl@jhu.edu

ORIENTATION

Is there an orientation session? When do I need to arrive at the Carey Business School?
All new MS Finance students are required to attend a MSF orientation program that will take place on August 11 – 15, 2014. The students are advised to plan their arrival 2-3 weeks prior to orientation program, to allow enough time for them to take care of housing, banking, and other questions before the orientation program started.

SUMMER INTENSIVE

I was informed that I have to attend a Summer Intensive program. When is this program going to take place and do I have an option to not attend it?
The Summer Intensive program takes place from July 11 – August 1, 2014.

This concentrated course of study focuses on helping participants adjust to American life and culture. Daily practice in writing and speaking English in a variety of business contexts helps students prepare for the logistical, academic, professional, and social challenges international students will face. Through close readings of articles and case studies, students learn and apply essential business concepts and terminology from such core disciplines as economics, accounting, organizational behavior, and marketing. In addition, participants are introduced to resources and strategies to cope with the logistics of living in a foreign country, from housing and transportation to grocery shopping and health insurance and services.

The program will run concurrently in Washington, D.C., and Baltimore. After completing the
Summer Intensive, international students join their classmates for orientation on August 11,

The Summer Intensive is required for all new Carey international students who do not have a two or four year degree from a US college or university.

What happens if a student who is required to attend the Summer Intensive program has already scheduled other plans (family, travel, etc.) during that time?
For those students who are required to attend Summer Intensive, participation in the program in non-negotiable. It is a student’s responsibility to ensure that their schedule is arranged in a way that allows them to participate in the program. Students who are required to attend Summer
Intensive and choose not to attend will not be permitted to pursue the MS Finance program. They will have an option to defer to Fall 2015.

NEXT STEPS

I haven’t got information from school after paying the deposit. When will school warm up accepted students? Such as tell students when to elect courses and when to apply for the F-1 visa?
MS Program Office will contact all new MS students to help with various questions during their preparation and pre-arrival. The students will also receive communication from the International Student Services office regarding their visa and from Student Services office with details of the Summer Intensive program.  

Once I received the letter of admission, what are the next steps in the process?
In order to confirm their enrollment, students need to accept the offer of admission and pay deposit. That will complete your official enrollment process. The next steps will include:
• You will receive a welcome message from the MS in Finance Program office
• You will receive instructions to get your JHED ID, about Blackboard and Integrated Student Information System (ISIS)
• The Welcome Information Packet will be sent to all newly enrolled MSF students in April
- May. The packet will include information about campus locations, the academic schedule, faculty, and other important information to help you prepare for your arrival to the US and for your academic experience at the Carey Business School.
• In late May, the MS Program Office will hold an online information session, to allow students to ask any additional questions, meet with their peer colleagues via phone, and help everyone to be prepared before they arrive.
• All students will be expected to have a JHED ID, a Johns Hopkins University email account, and be familiar with Blackboard and Integrated Student Information System
(ISIS) before they arrive for Orientation.
• Students who are required to attend Summer Intensive program will arrive at their campus for the program on July 11, 2014.
• New MSF students will meet at the MSF Orientation program at their campus location, based on the cohort assignment, on August 11, 2014.

JHUCSSA也制作了非常详尽的新生手册介绍在JHU的学习与生活,欢迎大家下载阅读:http://jhu-cssa.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/新生手册上册.Final_.pdf

【03/05/2014 更新】
1.     I graduated from a university in Canada, do I need to join in Summer Intense Program? This student thinks that the learning environment in Canada is quite similar to that in USA.

Answer:  You may have noticed that Schools in Canada were exempted from having to provide a course by course evaluation (see below).  This policy is because Canada’s system is considered comparable to the U.S.  As a result, you do not need to take the summer intensive course if you have earned a degree from an accredited institution in Canada.

http://carey.jhu.edu/admissions/international-applicants/
All degrees earned or expected from outside the United States (U.S.) (with the exception of Canada) must be evaluated course-by-course by one of the authorized credential evaluation agencies. See the Credential Evaluation Agency section for agency contact information.

2.     How many students will be in the Summer (INTENSIVE)  Program?
Answer: We are expecting a total of 350- 400 students distributed between two campuses (Baltimore and DC).  Students will be divided into small groups of approximately 45 for many sessions and even smaller groups of 23 – 25 for speaking and writing sessions.

3.     Will school provide PTA job for students? If yes, what kinds of job will be provided? When can students apply for them?
Answer: The full time MSF program requires students to attend classes during the day which does not allow students to have an internship position during the work day. Some students decide to explore the internship opportunity, working in the evenings and/or weekends. However, we strongly advise that full-time students focus on their program in the first semesters, to ensure that they meet all academic requirements. If the students decide to pursue a part-time internship or part-time job, it is their responsibility to make sure that they don’t have any schedule conflicts.

During the academic year, some faculty may have Teaching Assistant positions open. These positions become available based on the specific program or faculty needs, and are advertised by the school. Those students who qualify and are interested, will have an opportunity to apply.

4.     What aspects of career service have been improved (or will be improved)?
Answer: Since January, full-time MS students have unlimited access to 1:1 coaching appointments with Coaching & Education team members.  Also, the Carey Career Navigator (a new internal website) has been revealed.  This website includes webinars, workshops, presentations, videos, articles, and resources including: The Vault; Going Global; MBA Exchange; and Fins from the Wall Street Journal.

We are in the process of creating new and original content for the Carey Career Navigator along with related programming.  This winter we introduced the first annual full-time MS speed interviewing program which gave students the opportunity to practice their interview skills with eight different interviewers.  Currently, we are creating two new programs/models for students:  Multicultural Competency Model and IPL (Immerse Prepare Launch) with a special focus on students coming from international locations.  We also have traveled to China and met with employers domestically who have expressed an interest in MS Finance students.

5.     When Carey Business School can get the AACSB Accreditation?
Answer:  In terms of required accreditation, Carey Business School, as part of the Johns Hopkins University, is accredited by the two accrediting bodies -  the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) and the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC).
The Johns Hopkins University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE). The Commission maintains a 10-year cycle of review, beginning with a self-study and on-site evaluation visit, and followed by a Periodic Review Report five years later. The Maryland Higher Education Commission is the State of Maryland's higher education coordinating board responsible for establishing and enforcing policies regarding the integrity, review, and approval of proposals for new and substantively changed academic programs offered by Maryland's public and private colleges and universities and for-profit career schools.
Carey Business School is currently working on the AACSB accreditation. The process typically takes between 5-7 years for the business schools from the beginning to the final stage of the process. The school has made many changes during the process, including expansion of the full-time faculty group, both in terms of the number of faculty who joined Carey Business School in the past two years, and the type of expertise they bring to the school.

【学前准备】
之前有已经录取的同学问我在办签证之前还能做哪些准备,我个人的建议是多陪伴在父母身边,在家里学着掌握几道拿手菜。其次可以提前找找房源,考驾照,学习CSSA新生手册,联络学长学姐和今后的同学。

最后,期待与你们相见!

请问一下1月20号左右video面试的那一批什么时候会出结果呢?thx~

你好,我想咨询下MSF的课程。昨天从官网了解到,金融的选修课从12门减少到8门,有些课程如Hedge Fund,Mergers and Acquisitions,Financial Econometrics,Wealth Management,Global Asset Allocation从官网上消失了,是不是意味着2014-2015学年的学生将不能选修这些课程了?学校不提供了吗

想问下您我是第二轮1月10号压线提交的申请,但是至今没有任何消息~~不会是把我默据了吧~~~

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%

查看