Board logo

标题: 请专家指点,大家帮忙 [打印本页]

作者: gail    时间: 2002-12-12 19:49     标题: 请专家指点,大家帮忙

大家有无听说TOEFL 590 GMAT 540以下的人还能申请成功的??我是超级菜鸟,这样的成绩值得花银子去试一试申请吗?我的工作经验7年半,一直在高校工作,教过书,作过管理工作,现职位是一所二流大学的系副主任,已经读过一个国内的MBA。特别迷茫,请大家指点
作者: Kilroy    时间: 2002-12-12 20:06

如果有研究成果,可能申请Ph.d还有戏,当然要冷门一点的学校和专业
作者: gail    时间: 2002-12-12 21:13

谢谢版主的神速回复!受启发!!再请问学校问学生所持签证类型干什么,我只要到了美国,签证期超过其学制是否就行了?学校一定要事先知道我申请的签证类型吗?我可能不申请学生签证的。
作者: sunflower    时间: 2002-12-13 10:35

Suggest you retake GMAT. Even if you apply PHD, the competition of top schools is very tough while many from top university of china also eqipped tremendous academic awards. With your overall situation, going to a avearge school makes no sense to you.

So you may reconsider your decision and make a feasible arrangement.
作者: gail    时间: 2002-12-13 16:58

thanx alot sunflower!yes,I have been preparing GMAT,and will retake it for sure,but might be too late to catch the first round of application for 2003 fall semester.
作者: sunflower    时间: 2002-12-13 17:30

For PHD, it is really late for you to catch the best round. To improve 540 to 700 is also not so easy...

But first, you have to make sure what you really want? Academic or professional? Both choices are investments of time and money; both are not casual for us who are not so younger..

Hope this helps.
作者: gail    时间: 2002-12-13 18:34

Actually I don't like academic that much,want an american MBA.My work experience is complicated .hope that will help.

yes,It's a very big challenge for me coz my age.I would get promotion in not far future if I keep this position,but I would love to try something new in life eventho everything is so risky......

you right,sunflower,I might not be able to reach 700 within a short time,but I will retake it in Feb or Mar whatever....

first time join this bbs,got so much warm replies,thank sunflower , kilroy and kinsin who emailed me.I start to like this bbs more and more....
作者: lin    时间: 2002-12-15 05:55

hi,gail, look at my case: last year applied with 640 gamt and 10 years working experience, 7 in world 500 and 3 yrs as entrepreneur, was dinged by all the schools.so as a chinese applicant, the work experience cannot compensate your academic weakness, because the admission committee said they have not transferable evaluating system to assess your working performance. you should at least have the average test score, otherwise your documents have no chance to be reviewed and will be just thrown into the bin.
作者: gail    时间: 2002-12-15 15:36

thanx lin,so your suggest me to retake GMAT again as sunflower did.did u retake GMAT too?will apply again soon ?I might still try one or two so-so schools.a friend suggested me to try UK business school Ph.D.They only ask for TOEFL.my TOEFL is 597.he said most schools ask for 550+
作者: lin    时间: 2002-12-16 02:21

hi,gail, yes I retook gmat this year and got 700+, I submitted my application before Nov., now the result is that I have received two early offers from top 20 and had several interviews. so I think with full conviction that gamt counts at least 70% to chinese applicants. regarding UK schools, sorry I have no ideas.
good luck
作者: kinson0001    时间: 2002-12-16 16:46

Mr. Lin

Congratulations!

Are you sure that other factors have not contributed to your application?
You write almost the same essays and got same sound reference?
If so, That is really enlightening.

forward to replying!
作者: gail    时间: 2002-12-17 08:36

congradulations Lin!! about interview,do you think that means favor?I was asked to take an interview on phone this week from a business school in US,any suggestion about it?Is it most about English-exam?I am not afraid of they ask about business since I already got an MBA degree in China....thanks for your reply
作者: lin    时间: 2002-12-17 09:05

To kinson: everthing is the same except the gmat score. although a couple of schools require the update essays because of the new questions, which had the same writing style since I wrote all of them.
To gail: there are three basic elements in the admission interview,
1. asses your english speaking fluency.
2. know in depth for the stuff in your resume.
3. standard questions like: why, leadership, teamwork
作者: Sundin    时间: 2002-12-17 12:50

Congrats, Lin!

Could you please kindly share with us which schools you have been accepted? It's so encouraging to our Chinese aspirants. Are they Duke and Emory?

[此贴子已经被作者于2002-12-17 12:50:53编辑过]

欢迎光临 国际顶尖MBA申请交流平台--TOPWAY MBA (http://forum.topway.org/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2