Board logo

标题: Topway首席顾问HSWang MBA申请在线答疑 [打印本页]

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-8-24 14:58     标题: Topway首席顾问HSWang MBA申请在线答疑

On behalf of Topway, I will be available to answer questions and offer insight into the MBA admissions process.

Best of luck with your b-school applications.

H. S. Wang
Chief Consultant, Topway
Tel: 400-9672-118
E-mail: hswang@topway.org
WeChat: 6711025
Weibo: laowang_topway
MySpace: http://forum.topway.org/sns/?11416

About Us
Topway is a comprehensive admissions consultancy that has been helping its clients gain admission into their top-choice business schools for over 10 years. We have a thorough understanding of the admissions process and know exactly what you need to do to maximize your chances. We work one on one with our clients to provide them with the highest possible level of service. In addition to essay writing services, we also consult our clients on admissions assessments, business school selection, admissions strategies, essay topic selection, interview preparation, letters of reference, pre admissions action plans, and more.
作者: crossmoon    时间: 2004-8-24 15:05

你好,hswang, 非常高兴你能提供一个这么好的机会。我的问题是,关于HBS. 是不是这所学校最注重或者只看重申请者的leadership?

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-8-24 15:19

<B>以下是引用<I>crossmoon</I>在2004-8-24 15:05:00的发言:</B>

<>你好,hswang, 非常高兴你能提供一个这么好的机会。我的问题是,关于HBS. 是不是这所学校最注重或者只看重申请者的leadership?</P>

Hi and thanks for your inquiry, Crossmoon.

Yes, HBS does care **a lot** about leadership and if you don't demonstrate leadership, you are not getting admitted regardless of GMAT scores, GPA, etc.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it is all they care about even if they give it a heavier weighting than the other top programs. For one thing, they obviously care about integrity. (The fact that 5 people got kicked out this past year due to application discrepancies is testament to that.)

Other important factors are academic qualifications, i.e. you must demonstrate that you can handle their curriculum, so the GMAT and transcripts are also important.

Finally, having a good story that includes airtight reasons for why you want an MBA, why you want to attend Harvard, etc is critical to gaining admission to HBS -- or any other selective b-school for that matter.

Sincerely,

H.S. Wang

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-8-25 13:45:28编辑过]

作者: crossmoon    时间: 2004-8-24 18:06

谢谢,但是我很奇怪,你是怎么知道“5 people got kicked out this past year due to application discrepancies ”的?网上没看到过相关的传言啊?

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-8-24 18:26

以下是引用crossmoon在2004-8-24 18:06:00的发言:

谢谢,但是我很奇怪,你是怎么知道“5 people got kicked out this past year due to application discrepancies ”的?网上没看到过相关的传言啊?

Thanks for your follow-up inquiry. I'm not sure if it's also on their website, but I got it from one of my friends, who knew an HBS admissions officer.

H.S.Wang

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-8-25 13:46:20编辑过]

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-8-24 22:12

<B>以下是引用<I>foolstar</I>在2004-8-24 18:48:00的发言:</B>

<>请问我这种情况是否可以进入 a top 25 MBA program?我的GMAT是600,GPA是2.7。但是我可以搞到很牛的推荐信,另外我的工作经验很棒的。</P>
<>Many thanks!</P>

Thanks for your inquiry.

Yes, it is possible to get into a top 25 school with your GPA and GMAT. It is the exception though rather than the rule and you will need to demonstrate great work experience with a rapid career progression. You will also need to mitigate any concerns about your ability to handle the coursework in b-school.

Letters of reference are helpful if handled properly. Otherwise, they won't really help you or hurt you since the majority of the other applicants will have similarly favorable references written about them.

The good news for you is that the b-schools give about a 35% to 40% weighting to your academic qualifications, i.e. your GPA and GMAT.

Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,
H.S.Wang

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-8-25 13:47:35编辑过]

作者: mialanhero    时间: 2004-8-25 10:55

Wang, 我有个问题,想弄清楚。 How important is it to apply in R1, particularly for HBS. 如果我赶第一轮有些仓促,那么是否最好等到第二轮呢?第二轮的申请是不是竞争性有所降低呢? Thanks in advance!

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-8-25 11:59

<B>以下是引用<I>mialanhero</I>在2004-8-25 10:55:00的发言:</B>

<P>Wang, 我有个问题,想弄清楚。 How important is it to apply in R1, particularly for HBS. 如果我赶第一轮有些仓促,那么是否最好等到第二轮呢?第二轮的申请是不是竞争性有所降低呢?

Thanks in advance!</P>

Thanks for your inquiry.

As a general rule, it is always more advantageous to apply in the first round than the second. There are more openings for the incoming class and the admissions committees are trying to fill seats. At the most selective schools, round 2 is when the class becomes rounded out and the admissions officers really focus in on getting the right representation from demographic groups such as NY I-bankers and Indian IT applicants.

There is no truth to the urban legend that the second round is less competitive than the first round. The admissions officers know what percent of good applicants apply each round and they adjust their targeted number of admissions offers to reflect this.

Finally, a good applicant will make a convincing case for why he/she wants to attend XYZ b-school and why he/she has been proactive about wanting an MBA for a long time. Applying in round 1 will certainly help signal this point much more clearly than applying in a later round.

In conclusion, if you have a good application put together for a top school, it will behoove you to submit it earlier than later.

Sincerely,
H.S. Wang

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-8-25 13:48:30编辑过]

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-8-25 13:51

<B>以下是引用<I>LANDER</I>在2004-8-25 13:43:00的发言:</B>

<P>Hi, HSWang</P>
<P>我GMAT考了760,但是AWA却很惨,只有3.5。你能告诉我这对于我申请第一流的美国商学院有多大影响吗?</P>
<P>谢谢

Lander</P>

Thanks for your inquiry.

I wouldn't worry too much about the AWA score. Fortunately, the AWA does not carry nearly as much weight with the admissions committees as the verbal or quantitative scores. Furthermore, your verbal score has already helped mitigate the 3.5.

Well-written essays and good admissions interviews will help to further mitigate any concerns about your communication skills.

Sincerely,
H.S.Wang
作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-8-25 21:49

<B>以下是引用<I>foolstar</I>在2004-8-25 16:56:00的发言:</B>

<P>谢谢首席顾问,:)</P>
<P>我还有一个问题,本科学校如果不是很好,对申请top school的影响大吗?我只是毕业于一所在国内都不是很有名气的重点大学,你看我是不是应该放弃申请牛校的努力呢? </P>

Thanks for your inquiry.

This is another urban legend that, unfortunately, continues to propagate itself. There is an ounce -- and only an ounce -- of truth which is the admissions officers know grade inflation can be a bit rampant at some schools and therefore a 3.3 from a top-tier undergrad may be viewed similarly to a 3.5 in the same major from a lesser-known school.

If you are looking at statistics that show a large number of applicants to the top schools come from famous universities, bear in mind these two points:

1. These schools tend to attract a disproportionate amount of talented overachievers.
2. The feeder companies for the top b-schools (think the top consulting firms and investment banks) tend to recruit at these schools.

If you have the same GMAT, GPA, extracurriculars, and work experience as another applicant and the only difference is that you went to Tibet Universityand the other applicant attended, say, PKU or Princeton, you would both have the same chance of being admitted to a top b-school.

We have seen this time and time again with our own clients.

Sincerely,
H.S.Wang
作者: sunnyrain    时间: 2004-8-27 12:29

hi, Mr. Wang, I have two questions. First, I have taken GMAT 3 times in 6 years, will admissions people think there is something wrong with me? And second, since one of those past scores is still current, will it be averaged with, or replaced by the new score? Thank you.
作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-8-27 13:04

<B>以下是引用<I>sunnyrain</I>在2004-8-27 12:29:00的发言:</B>
hi, Mr. Wang, I have two questions. First, I have taken GMAT 3 times in 6 years, will admissions people think there is something wrong with me? And second, since one of those past scores is still current, will it be <I>averaged with</I>, or <I>replaced by</I> the new score?

Thank you.

Thanks for your inquiries.

First of all, ETS (the GMAT test administrator) will only send the schools the scores from the past 5 years. As a result, the admissions committees will never see the score from 1997.

If your second score shows a marked improvement, the admissions committees will not think there is anything wrong with you. Furthermore, nearly all schools take your highest score and several will take the highest score from each section of the GMAT. For example, if test A has a higher quantitative score than test B, and test B has a higher verbal score, the school would take the with Q score from test A and the V score from test B. Very few schools will average your 2 GMAT scores.

Thank you.

H.S.Wang
作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-8-27 23:07

<B>以下是引用<I>brilliance</I>在2004-8-27 21:44:00的发言:</B>

<P>hi,Wang, 我有个问题,在某一轮次的申请中,是不是材料交的越早,越有利呢?譬如,在deadline前一天提交材料是不是不太好呢?</P>
<P>谢谢</P>

Thanks for your inquiry.

Good question. The general answer is no. The particulars to consider are:

1. Be certain your essays, references, etc. are perfected.
2. Determine if you are the type of applicant who will incessantly tweak your story and applications, perhaps for the worst by second-guessing yourself.
3. Project the likelihood you will receive a promotion or have some other accomplishment between the date of application submission and the end of that round.

Sincerely,
H.S.Wang
作者: mialanhero    时间: 2004-8-28 20:31

Hi, Mr. Wang

I have a question about the Stern application. They ask for a resume including educational and professional information, as well as an Employment History which includes responsibilities at each position. Its seems that the Employment History will be redundant with the resume. How should the two items be structured, in your opinion, to avoid this problem? Thanks in advance for your response.

mialanhero

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-8-28 22:44

<B>以下是引用<I>mialanhero</I>在2004-8-28 20:31:00的发言:</B>

<P>Hi, Mr. Wang</P>
<P>I have a question about the Stern application. They ask for a resume including educational and professional information, as well as an Employment History which includes responsibilities at each position. Its seems that the Employment History will be redundant with the resume. How should the two items be structured, in your opinion, to avoid this problem? Thanks in advance for your response.</P>
<P>mialanhero
</P>

This is a good question. The employment history allows you to provide more details about specific accomplishments, levels of responsibility and leadership accomplishments. It is also the best place to explain your career progression and why you left one employer for another.

The resume is more of a one page (most of the time anyway) executive summary of your career with some bullet points.

Sincerely,
H.S.Wang
作者: sunnyrain    时间: 2004-8-29 13:51

本人有个问题,GMAT中的AWA分数到底有多重要?如果VERBAL不错,是不是不用担心AWA的低分了呢?

Thanks,

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-8-29 14:06

<B>以下是引用<I>sunnyrain</I>在2004-8-29 13:51:00的发言:</B>

<P>本人有个问题,GMAT中的AWA分数到底有多重要?如果VERBAL不错,是不是不用担心AWA的低分了呢?</P>
<P>Thanks,
</P>

Thanks for your inquiries. It is true that it is becoming more popular amongst admissions officers and some schools (the best known is probably Yale SOM) scrutinize it rather closely due to concerns about applicants getting outside help with essays.

But after all, perfect essays and good verbal scores can counteract the negative effect of low AWA. Thus you'better put your time and energy to your essay writing now, if you have no time to retake the test.

Sincerely,
H.S. Wang
作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-8-29 18:23

<B>以下是引用<I>topbuilder</I>在2004-8-29 16:51:00的发言:</B>
Hi, I graduated from a top university in China with a 2.8 GPA. For the past 4 years I have been working for a leading comapny as a technology consultant. My GMAT score is 680. I was wondering what my chances are of getting into a top 20 business school program considering I have a low GPA and relatively low GMAT score.Thanks.

Honestly, I'm most worried about your work experience. If you are an IT consultant, your biggest hurdle will likely be differentiating yourself from the many other IT applicants.

Given this applicant weakness right out of the box, it probably makes sense for you to take some measures to allay concerns about academic qualifications.

Don't hesitate to contact me directly if you would like professional assistance with your situation. We offer admissions consultation and essay ghostwriting service and can help you draw up a detailed action plan to ensure you are optimally positioned for your future applications.

Best of luck with your future applications!

Sincerely,

H.S.Wang
作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-8-30 15:28

<B>以下是引用<I>gladiator</I>在2004-8-30 14:09:00的发言:</B>
<P>Hi, Mr. Wang, </P>
<P>Last year, I was on the waitlist at HBS until the final days. This year, I want to re-apply to HBS. </P>
<P>I am wondering whether HBS will re-interview me or just use the interview from last year? </P>
<P>Do you know what HBS does in terms of re-interviewing people who were on the waitlist from the previous year?</P>
<P>Many thanks! </P>

First of all, I hope you took an informed and objective look at your previous application and determined how your story could be tightened, weaknesses mitigated, and strengths highlighted before reapplying.

About 99% of the time HBS will re-interview re-applicants. This year, HBS is not reviewing previous applications, so I hope you highlighted that you are a re-applicant who was interviewed and waitlisted the previous year.

Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-8-30 15:28:59编辑过]

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-8-30 22:05

<B>以下是引用<I>topbuilder</I>在2004-8-30 18:57:00的发言:</B>
<P>Dear Wang,</P>
<P>Thanks for your valuable answer! </P>
<P>But I am wondering what kind of things would differentiate an IT/engineering applicant from other applicants in the same field. I'm not seeing too many opportunities to demonstate the usual desired skills in business, such as leadership, or outstanding "business-related" accomplishments holding an entry-level engineer or technician position.</P>
<P>Thanks! </P>
<P>Topbuilder

</P>

Thanks for your inquiry.

If you are applying to the selective b-schools, you will need to show that somehow you have already reached the same level of maturity and career progression (teamwork, leadership, etc.) as the older applicants against whom you are competing. It may well be that the best you will be able to achieve is rejection with encouragement? i.e. a ding that encourages you to reapply in x years. It is very rare for such an individual to be rejected as a re-applicant.

The usual desired skills are a huge advantage if you can find a way to spin them into your story. Lacking those, you will have to use extracurricular activities and good introspection to differentiate your candidacy.

Sincerely,
H.S.Wang

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-8-30 22:46:04编辑过]

作者: hierarch    时间: 2004-8-30 22:43

Hi Wang,

I am applying to  business school at the University of Washington (Seattle) . I am applying because my fiance just received a PhD offer there. Since I am moving and would have to change jobs anyway I figured it would be a great time to pursue my MBA. It is it okay to state in my essay I am applying because of the recent chain of events? In addition, it will be the only MBA program I apply to because frankly the other schools in the Seattle are are not ranked as a top tier school (UW is only 35). Should I state UW will be the only program I apply to? Does this hurt my chances for getting in?

I have not had many extracurricular activites since high school. How can I mitigate this point in my application and essays? I have been in accounting for the last nine years (both private and public) and the hours have been extremely demanding.  I do have great career progression, but it has been with small to medium sizes business. I was just hired as a COO/CFO of a small not-for-profit.

Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
作者: crossmoon    时间: 2004-8-31 11:59

Mr. Wang, 能否评估一下我的背景,看是否有实力申请排名最靠前的三所学校,i.e. Harvard, Standford or Wharton?

我的背景:

GPA 3.8 from a top Chinese university (Econ major) 670 GMAT , 630 TOEFL 3 years work experience at one leading multinational enterprise in Shanghai. 应该说我的本科成绩很不错的,但是我的GMAT成绩明显比上述三所学校的平均分要低30-50分。我有多大的希望呢?

谢谢你的热心咨询!

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-8-31 12:29

<B>以下是引用<I>hierarch</I>在2004-8-30 22:43:00的发言:</B>
Hi Wang,

I am applying to  business school at the University of Washington (Seattle) . I am applying because my fiance just received a PhD offer there. Since I am moving and would have to change jobs anyway I figured it would be a great time to pursue my MBA. It is it okay to state in my essay I am applying because of the recent chain of events? In addition, it will be the only MBA program I apply to because frankly the other schools in the Seattle are are not ranked as a top tier school (UW is only 35). Should I state UW will be the only program I apply to? Does this hurt my chances for getting in?

I have not had many extracurricular activites since high school. How can I mitigate this point in my application and essays? I have been in accounting for the last nine years (both private and public) and the hours have been extremely demanding.  I do have great career progression, but it has been with small to medium sizes business. I was just hired as a COO/CFO of a small not-for-profit.

Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Thanks for your inquiry.

You want to state additional reasons for pursuing an MBA at UW than just what you stated above. However, these reasons can be included in a successful story, if presented in a compelling manner.

Finally, I wouldn't be ashamed of your work experience in small to medium-sized businesses. If anything this will help differentiate you from other applicants. There is no truth to the urban myth that you have to have so-called blue chip experience to get into a good business school. I have stated this before, but still state it again here, there are 2 reasons that this myth may appear to be true: (1) the blue chip employees tend to be the cream of the crop hired out of college and (2) too many applicants with small to medium-sized business experience unsuccessfully attempt to mimic the same admissions strategies that work for the brand name/blue chip applicants.

Sincerely,
H.S.Wang
作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-8-31 13:05

<B>以下是引用<I>crossmoon</I>在2004-8-31 11:59:00的发言:</B>

<P>Mr. Wang, 能否评估一下我的背景,看是否有实力申请排名最靠前的三所学校,i.e. Harvard, Standford or Wharton?</P>
<P>我的背景:</P>
<P>GPA 3.8 from a top Chinese university (Econ major)
670 GMAT , 630 TOEFL
3 years work experience at one leading multinational enterprise in Shanghai.

应该说我的本科成绩很不错的,但是我的GMAT成绩明显比上述三所学校的平均分要低30-50分。我有多大的希望呢?</P>
<P>谢谢你的热心咨询!</P>

Thanks for your inquiry.

I'm not surprised you have heard mixed things about your background as, sadly, there is a considerable amount of disinformation out there. Each year, we help numerous applicants whom others tell can't get into top 50 MBA programs, gain admission into top 5 and top 10 schools.  

Assuming your GMAT quant percentile is not too much, if even at all, lower than your verbal percentile, and you are not an overrepresented foreign applicant, your academic qualifications will not keep you out of any of these 3 schools. There is a considerable GMAT range for all of these schools and, internally, we don't even find it newsworthy to help an applicant with a 670 gain admission to one of these MBA programs.

Your academic qualifications only account for 35% to 40% of the admission decision at the top schools. A large amount of the decision comes down to your story (reasons why an MBA, why now, diversity, etc.), extracurricular involvements, and career progression.

While I certainly do wish you all the best of luck with your applications, if you find yourself dinged at these schools, feel free to contact me directly about our ding analysis service.

H.S.Wang
作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-9-1 12:18

<B>以下是引用<I>gladiator</I>在2004-9-1 11:59:00的发言:</B>
Hi, I am a re-applicant to the HBS MBA program and had been put into waitlist last year.

Do I have a chance of entering this year ? Is there anything that I can do to improve my candidacy ?

Thanks in advance for your kind and precious help.

Yes, you still have a chance of being admitted.

Lst year, you was on the waitlist,and it proved you had been a pretty strong candidate and you had a pretty good story. Unfortunately, you just weren't strong enough to receive an acceptance letter. You have a chance to be admitted into HBS, so I wouldn't despair.

Here is my reminding to those waitlister. It is often out of your hands. HBS is one of a small number of schools that does not want to hear from its waitlisted applicants. Therefore, you do NOT want to send them additional letters of reference, materials, etc. The best thing you can do (as difficult as I know it is) is to sit back and wait. Don't call the admissions board and don't become a pest. Doing so will only kill your chances.

Best of luck with your re-application to HBS!

Sincerely,
H.S.Wang

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-9-1 12:18:42编辑过]

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-9-2 14:27

本帖最后由 hsWang 于 2010-5-7 10:56 编辑
<B>以下是引用<I>ladeng</I>在2004-9-2 12:42:00的发言:</B>
I would appreciate any assistance.

I am very interested to get into a top 3 program. Wharton, Columbia or HBS.

Shanghai Jiaotong U with 3.86 GPA

700 GMAT

I have two years of auditing experience.

My only problem is that the firm I am working for is a top 6 ,not big 4 audit firm.

I am contemplating switching job. Currently I have 2 choices.
1.) Try out a prestigous big 4 audit firm.
2.) Try my luck with I-banking in Singapore--I know some one in Lehman but still no guarantee

I am thinking of working for 2 more years before I formally apply as the average work experience for HBS is 4 years.

Thanks

Thanks for your inquiry.

Two things jumped out at me from your post.

1. The concept that you need blue chip experience is an urban legend we have been trying to kill for sometime. There's simply no truth to this and any admissions officer will tell you so much. Yes, there are a large number of b-school students from Big 4 accounting firms, bulge-bracket I banks, etc. However, in addition to employing a sizable percentage of their industry, these firms also tend to attract the best talent. Secondly, too many applicants attempt to use the same strategies that work successfully for the applicants of the highly-regarded employers and the results, therefore, shouldn't surprise you.

Your experience in a smaller, national accounting firm will help you add some additional diversity to an incoming class that a Big 4 auditor can not. Use this to your advantage and don't think you *need* to join a Big 4 to gain admission to a top business school.

Each year we help many applicants from smaller employers gain admission into the top b-schools.

2. Don't get caught up in the averages that the schools publish. There is always a deliberate distribution around the mean at the schools for their admissions profiles. In fact, HBS admitted 4% of this past year's class directly out of undergrad.

You should apply to business school when you are ready. This will depend on how selective the targeted schools are, your career progression, and your reasons for wanting an MBA. If you have enjoyed an excellent career progression after 2 years and an MBA is the next logical career step for you, then you should apply now.

We can certainly provide you with an in-depth assessment and recommendations. I can tell you here though that if you switch jobs it should only be to align your career trajectory more closely to your post-MBA career goals.

Sincerely,
H.S.Wang
作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-9-3 15:20

以下是引用LANDER在2004-9-3 14:46:00的发言: Hi, Mr. Wang, I have a question on sponsorship from my Firm for my full-time MBA. Does sponsorship from my firm has any material impact on the Admissions committe for a full-time MBA? The sponsorship can take any form if it helps strenghten application, such as tution assistance etc.. Can you please throw some light on this? Thanks in advance

The short answer is yes. If properly spun, it can make a positive, and possibly even material, impact on your acceptance chances and there are various themes you can optimally use to impress the admissions officers depending on your exact situation. Best of luck with your applications! Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

作者: sharpgun    时间: 2004-9-4 15:47

Dear Wang, can you clarify HBS' interview policy? Are interviews required to be admitted? Or do they admit some applicants without interviews? (Your above response implies that an applicant's geographic location influences interview requests.)

Thanks so much for your help. (Particularly as combing HBS' website for this info has been driving me crazy!)

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-9-4 16:22

<B>以下是引用<I>sharpgun</I>在2004-9-4 15:47:00的发言:</B>

<P>Dear Wang, can you clarify HBS' interview policy? Are interviews required to be admitted? Or do they admit some applicants without interviews? (Your above response implies that an applicant's geographic location influences interview requests.) </P>
<P>Thanks so much for your help. (Particularly as combing HBS' website for this info has been driving me crazy!)
</P>

Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

There have been a few instances of applicants being admitted without conducting interviews. However, these are definitely the exceptions.

If you have already submitted your application though, there is nothing you can do at this point except wait.

Best of luck with your HBS application!

Sincerely,
H.S.Wang
作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-9-5 23:36

本帖最后由 hsWang 于 2010-5-7 10:56 编辑
<B>以下是引用<I>beautylady</I>在2004-9-5 19:51:00的发言:</B>
Hi, Wang! I am applying to Haas for a an MBA. I have 2.7 undergrad GPA and 9 years of work experience with the last position as a Materials Manager. I have not been employed for the past 2 years due to the birth of our son and right now working on setting up a business with my husband. Who would be the best person to write a recommendation letter in this case?

Thank you!

Good question. First of all, if the rest of your candidacy is strong enough, your undergraduate GPA can certainly be mitigated. A high GMAT score will help a lot toward assuaging any concerns about your academic abilities though.

There are many different options for recommenders. Previous employers, suppliers, and clients can write strong recommendations about your career progression. Colleagues from extracurricular involvements can also write effective letters of reference. I don't have nearly enough information about you though to competently help you select your recommenders. You need to first build your candidacy, story, and themes. It is also helpful to complete the essays before selecting recommendations, assuming you have enough lead time before the application deadlines. With all these in place, you can accurately gauge your strengths and weaknesses and determine what you may need substantiated in your recommendations.

(Just a bit of insight into our proprietary methods of ensuring our clients's chances are indeed maximized at each school to which they apply.)

Don't hesitate to contact me directly if you would like expert assistance and a competitive advantage with your Haas application!

Sincerely,
H.S.Wang
作者: mialanhero    时间: 2004-9-6 11:43

本帖最后由 hsWang 于 2010-5-7 10:57 编辑

I am looking to apply to a few of the top 10 MBA schools in the U.S., but I have no post-undergrad work experience. How will this effect my chances of being accepted?

I will give you some background. I am a mature student (30 yrs. old) and I did have sales and purchasing background before going to university.I will graduate in May 2005. I am planning to take my GMAT this summer and I my goal is to score above 700. My GPA is just shy of 3.0 and I hope to improve upon that. I coach youth football in the university. I volounteer at the local food bank during the holidays and I will soon be a participant in the commerce society.

Will all of the above make me a strong candidate or is the work experience (lack there of) going to be too much of a factor to overcome?

The schools I am specifically looking at are Harvard, Columbia, Stanford, Duke, and Kellogg.

Thanks in advance.
作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-9-6 12:18

本帖最后由 hsWang 于 2010-5-7 10:58 编辑
<B>以下是引用<I>mialanhero</I>在2004-9-6 11:43:00的发言:</B>

<P>I am looking to apply to a few of the top 10 MBA schools in the U.S., but I have no post-undergrad work experience.
How will this effect my chances of being accepted?
I will give you some background. I am a mature student (30 yrs. old) and I did have sales and purchasing background before going to university.I will graduate in May 2005. I am planning to take my GMAT this summer and I my goal is to score above 700. My GPA is just shy of 3.0 and I hope to improve upon that. I coach youth football in the university. I volounteer at the local food bank during the holidays and I will soon be a participant in the commerce society.
Will all of the above make me a strong candidate or is the work experience (lack there of) going to be too much of a factor to overcome?
The schools I am specifically looking at are Harvard, Columbia, Stanford, Duke, and Kellogg.</P>
<P>Thanks in advance. </P>
<P>
</P>

Thanks for your inquiry.

It is possible to be admitted into a top school without any work experience and certainly more probable to be admitted without post undergrad work experience. The key is to demonstrate the level of maturity, leadership skills, teamwork skills, etc. that someone with more experience would progress.

If your school is on the 4.0 scale and you score 700 or higher on the GMAT, your academic qualifications hurdle has been easily cleared at any school.

(On a separate but related note, despite what some may say about extremely high GMAT scores helping applicants, there is just no truth to this and any admissions officer will tell you as much. Each year good applicants with sub 600 GMATs will be admitted to top school and, this past year, 8 out of 8 Stanford applicants with perfect 800 GMAT scores were dinged. Enough said.)

Your extracurricular activities appear OK. In addition to a well-prepared application that includes, among other things, good reasons for why an MBA, why now, diversity, etc., your chances will largely come down to the exact level of responsibility you had in your previous sales and purchasing work.

Sincerely,
H.S.Wang
作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-9-6 21:13

本帖最后由 hsWang 于 2010-5-7 10:59 编辑
<B>以下是引用<I>brilliance</I>在2004-9-6 19:25:00的发言:</B>
I have been working for a top software company as program Manager for 6 years.
Now, i want to attend MBA at stanford.
Though i surf the HBS website, i didn't like the school environments and surroundings.
I am still confused about whether i should dive for MBA.
1) Do you think stanford will fit for me?
2) i haven't sit for GMAT yet

Hope to hearing from You.
Thanks and regards

Thanks for your inquiry.

Harvard is a great school and it has produced a lot of satisfied alumni over the years. If you're on the fence about Harvard, the best thing to do would be to visit the campus in person or talk with some HBS alumni.  

I'd likely encourage you to wait until the second round. I'm not sure you can prep for the GMAT and submit a well-prepared application within the next 2 months.You may also want to take some time to carefully think through your future career goals and ensure you are confident of the best next steps to attain them.

I have no way of competently stating whether Stanford is a good fit for you with so little information. (Neither can any of the staff at Stanford.)  If you would like to discuss your school selection criteria as well as the pros and cons of an MBA versus MPA with one of our consultants, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

H.S.Wang
作者: crossmoon    时间: 2004-9-7 10:52

All throughout my undergraduate education, I never anticipated going to business school. Thus, I never really focused on grades. Instead, I started two companies - both of which failed, but generated sales of RMB 100k or so - and graduated in 3 years. In total, I earned a 3.0 from a not so famous university with a degree in Computer Science.

I worked as a software engineer for a while, but switched over to finance. I've worked my way up to a post where half of my peers and all my superiors have MBAs, so I believe the degree is essential for my growth. Also, since I don't have a business degree, I'm at a loss. I'm learning finance and accounting in my spare time. I will have 39 months of experience upon matriculation.

I took the GMAT just to get a sense of where I should apply. I got a 730 with an AWA of 5.0. I've painstakingly tweaked my essays and have support from management, who will write a strong recommendation.

A friend of mine was in a similar situation, but had a 3.2 from the same program and a 750 (4.5 AWA) on the GMAT. He was turned down from every school to which he applied. He aimed high and missed the mark. The top five schools on the west coast of US rejected him.

I'm trying not to make the same mistake as my friend.  Because of my GMAT score, I've started thinking I have a chance of getting into HBS - the stereotypical hail mary attempt. I know they focus on leadership, so I've gotten a book on leadership, outlined it, and taken notes. I draw my essays from reality, but frame my accomplishments using the keys to leadership.

Given that I have only a limited amount of space on the essays, what should I focus on? My companies failed, but they may have taught me a lesson. They aren't necessarily an indication of leadership. Also, do you think my GPA will be an issue? I have good GMATs, college-year entrepreneurship, and a 3-year work experience. Should I sweep this under the rug or hang it out as something to be proud of? Should I say, "I didn't let my schooling get in the way of my education?" (Mark Twain) I mention my GPA in the "weakest part of this application" essay.

If I had a 4.0, I'd be in a different boat. I just don't want to waste my time applying to a school that I have no chance of getting into.

Thanks in advance!
作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-9-7 11:35

本帖最后由 hsWang 于 2010-5-7 11:00 编辑

<P>以下是引用<I>crossmoon</I>在2004-9-7 10:52:00的发言:
All throughout my undergraduate education, I never anticipated going to business school. Thus, I never really focused on grades. Instead, I started two companies - both of which failed, but generated sales of RMB 100k or so - and graduated in 3 years. In total, I earned a 3.0 from a not so famous university with a degree in Computer Science.
</P>

Thanks for your inquiry.

One of the biggest fallacies we see, whether we are conducting ding analyses or working with re-applicants, is overconfidence from high score GMAT applicants. I have discovered thei nformation about how Stanford rejected 8 out of 8 applicants last year with perfect 800 GMAT scores. Your academic qualifications, i.e. transcripts and GMAT, account for about 35% to 40% of the admissions decision at most top b-schools and you will find plenty of below average-GMAT test takers on their campuses.

If your friend had a good career progression and extracurricular involvement, then he was dinged because he had a weak story. A very large percentage of applicants are clearly qualified for a top MBA when GMAT scores, GPAs, career progression, and extracurriculars are considered. (Let's face it. No one with a 1.8 GPA, 380 GMAT, and one year flipping burgers at McD's is going to bother applying to a top b-school.) What differentiates those who are admitted from those who are dinged is their applicant stories.

We take a long phone consultation just to help determine the main themes for an applicant's story; I don't have nearly enough information to competently tell you what you should write and how you should write it here. However, you would be well advised to be very succinct when addressing your weaknesses and find some good, differentiating themes for your story. Leadership is important at all of the schools and, yes, even more so at HBS. Original introspection and acute analysis will differentiate those who are admitted from the many more who are dinged.

Best of luck with your HBS application!

Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-9-8 13:20:18编辑过]

作者: sunnyrain    时间: 2004-9-8 12:49

Hi, Wang,

I am new to this board, and hope this is the right way to ask a question: I have a question about MBA admission acceptance-deadline timing. If I receive an offer of admission from one school (my second choice), and my acceptance of that offer is due several days before I hear from the other schools I've applied to (one of which is my first choice). I am thinking of asking them if they could extend the acceptance date to a few business days after the date that I hear from the other schools, so that I have full info before making a commitment. What do you think/any suggestions? Also, should I contact the Admissions Director whose name is on the acceptance letter, or the general admissions email?

Thanks in advance!

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-9-8 13:22

以下是引用sunnyrain在2004-9-8 12:49:00的发言:

Hi, Wang,

I am new to this board, and hope this is the right way to ask a question: I have a question about MBA admission acceptance-deadline timing. If I receive an offer of admission from one school (my second choice), and my acceptance of that offer is due several days before I hear from the other schools I've applied to (one of which is my first choice). I am thinking of asking them if they could extend the acceptance date to a few business days after the date that I hear from the other schools, so that I have full info before making a commitment. What do you think/any suggestions? Also, should I contact the Admissions Director whose name is on the acceptance letter, or the general admissions email?

Thanks in advance!

This is a good question. You certainly should contact the Admissions Director directly and request the extension. We have found that these are granted in 95% of the cases with no issues or hassles. Best of luck with your applications! Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-9-12 21:50

以下是引用LANDER在2004-9-12 21:10:00的发言: Hello, Wang, I am highly interested in going to a top tier B-school, possible focusing on International Business. Though I am well traveled, I thought if my ultimate goal is a position at IMF or World Bank or Int''l Consulting firm, it might be a good idea to do some volunteering (maybe in business development) in an underpriveleged nation for a few months. My goal is a top school- harvard, Yale or Insead or london school of economics. I have excellent work experience- 4 years total, 2 years at a top financial service firm in a very unique quantitative position. I haven''t taken the GMAT yet but I am guessing with a lot of hard work I''ll get in the 680-700 range. The one thing holding me back is my GPA. It''s about a 3.1- because of 1 bad semester and 2 bad grades. I graduated from a Chinese Ivy university where made it very difficult for students to get straight A''s. Just wondering if the abroad volunteerism would help me (especially if I''ll be pitching in my essays that I want economic development to be my career path) and what my chances are for getting into the schools above that I mentioned. I''ve also heard that it helps your chances a bit if you are female...is this true? thanks! Thanks!

Thanks for your inquiry.

First of all, if you only have 2 bad grades and you achieve a GMAT score in the 680-700 range with some balance between your verbal and quant percentiles, your academic qualifications will not keep you out of b-school. Your work experience also appears to be very solid. With decent extracurricular activities and some differentiating factors in well-prepared applications, you should be competitive at all of these schools. Abroad volunteerism, particularly if it is related to your future economic development career goals would certainly help your chances if your stated long-term career goal is the same as described above. However, I think it is only fair to warn you that your future career goal could be a risky one *if* you can not adequately back up your sincerity and how your accomplishments and experiences to date have made that goal attainable. A lot of applicants state grandiose and altruistic goals and get dinged precisely because the admissions committees doubted their sincerity. Besides, there just are not going to be that many post-MBA opportunities in your desired field. Best of luck with your applications! Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

作者: mialanhero    时间: 2004-9-13 11:49

I graduated from a well-known university in China. I have strong work experience, but my GPA is only 2.5.

Some one told me to make a fake of m undergraduate transcript. Surly I don't want to do that. But my low undergraduate GPA is really a problem, would you please help me find a way to solve this problem?

Thanks!

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-9-13 15:04

"I graduated from a well-known university in China. I have strong work experience, but my GPA is only 2.5.

Some one told me to make a fake of m undergraduate transcript. Surly I don't want to do that. But my low undergraduate GPA is really a problem, would you please help me find a way to solve this problem?

Thanks! "

Thanks for your inquiry. As for the low GPA, you can do two things to remedy them:

(1) Do you know WHY you had low GPA? If you do, explain why but don't over explain as it may give readers impression that you are not confident in your ability. If you don't know why, don't explain because it will sound you are looking for excuses.

(2) Get high GMAT scores. US schools have a formula that transfers your GMAT scores into GPA and average them with your undergraduate GPA.

In general, I don't think you should worry too much about your GPA. I respect you for not to cheat.

Best of luck with your application!

Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-9-13 15:09:57编辑过]

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-9-15 12:46

以下是引用LANDER在2004-9-15 12:04:00的发言:

Thanks for your advice.

I think one thing I'm wondering is what sort of extracurricular activities does one do that looks good on an application? I just don't know how people fit them in either. I see tons of i-bankers going off to harvard and wharton b-school each year and they barely have time to sleep, let alone volunteer or pursue any side hobbies. Also, in terms of the essays- if admissions committees are looking for sincerity, what does someone write about who wants to pursue a career in finance, and make a killing on wall street? Do they sincerely write essays saying they wanna make a ton of money and retire at 40 or start their own hedge fund in Greenwich? I guess I'm just confused about how anyone can have a sincere, admirable goal for b-school and express it well in essay form. Finally, if my ultimate goal was the IMF or World Bank, you are saying there aren't that many opportunities available at those organizations for an MBA? What about Int'l Consulting positions?

I am pretty uneducated about typical career paths for an MBA aside from Wall Street, so any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and regards.

You ask some good questions. The fact is we could write a very thick book and still only scratch the surface of the business school admission process. Besides, it still wouldn't be incredibly valuable (even though it would be written by true experts with admissions committee experience who have actually made accept/reject/waitlist decisions) because each applicant needs to develop a unique application story with themes that support that story and best address each of the essay questions and their fit at the different schools. Basically, if you want to maximize your chances, you need more than simply grammatically-correct essays in your application and there are many different strategies, stories, and themes that will work successfully for different applicants. We normally take a full consultation just to provide an in-depth assessment of a candidacy, advise on school selection, and begin coming up with strategies, stories, and themes.

To your final point, there are indeed opportunities out there for MBAs in international organizations such as the IMF and World Bank. They are just not as numerous as those opportunities in the more traditional career paths. Your future career goal may work for you. I simply wanted to point out a few potential issues in case you had not yet considered them. Don't hesitate to contact me directly if you would like to schedule an appointment with one of our expert consultants. Best of luck with your applications! Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-9-15 12:48:25编辑过]

作者: mialanhero    时间: 2004-9-16 12:00

以下是引用hsWang在2004-8-25 11:59:00的发言: >

Thanks for your inquiry. As a general rule, it is always more advantageous to apply in the first round than the second. There are more openings for the incoming class and the admissions committees are trying to fill seats. At the most selective schools, round 2 is when the class becomes rounded out and the admissions officers really focus in on getting the right representation from demographic groups such as NY I-bankers and Indian IT applicants. There is no truth to the urban legend that the second round is less competitive than the first round. The admissions officers know what percent of good applicants apply each round and they adjust their targeted number of admissions offers to reflect this. Finally, a good applicant will make a convincing case for why he/she wants to attend XYZ b-school and why he/she has been proactive about wanting an MBA for a long time. Applying in round 1 will certainly help signal this point much more clearly than applying in a later round. In conclusion, if you have a good application put together for a top school, it will behoove you to submit it earlier than later. Best of luck with your applications! Sincerely,

H.S. Wang

Many, many thanks. This is really a great place! You, great too.

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-9-20 12:34

以下是引用laozi在2004-9-20 10:57:00的发言: Hi, Thanks in advance for taking time to answer my question. I an an IT professional with an undergraduate degree in Finance. I have a GPA of 3.4 and I have done good in almost all finance courses. I have done some good job hopping in last 6-7 years but I am on my presesnt job for last 3-5 years. Most of these compnies are blue chip companies (and I have worked as an independent consultant. I want to pursue a carrier in Finance (Brokerage firm). My first 2 years of college credits reflected a poor GPA(2.0). But once I moved to a four year college, I was only doing better. I an planning to take my GMAT in April and I am committed to get a decent score (at least 650). What are my chances of getting into NYU part time MBA or Columbia MBA. What can I do to get into NYU or Columbia. I don't have any extra curcular activities. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

This trend, where your GPA increased over the course of your undergraduate education, will help you mitigate any concerns about your grades. A strong GMAT score will further help your cause and demonstrate your strong academic qualifications. The term job hopping certainly conjures up negative images. The key here is to demonstrate a clear and favorable career progression and then, hopefully, tie that into your future career goal. Without having the details of your proposed story and themes, it is impossible to accurately gauge your chances, but I'm not sure I see how your recent DBA experience, combined with an MBA, is going to qualify you for a career in a brokerage. Furthermore, you will be grilled on some of the details of your future career goal during your interviews as the interviewer will want to see evidence that this move is very well thought out and researched. Unless you have been working very long hours and were heavily involved in extracurriculars as an undergraduate, your current lack of extracurriculars is going to hurt you. In a word, get involved and get involved soon. Don't just sign up for any activity though. Find something that will help advance your story with the admissions committee. (I'm assuming you want me to be wearing my admissions hat?while writing this.) Depending on all of your particulars, you may need an extra year for positioning and you may not be very competitive until the fall 2006 applications are released. If you would like to discuss your situation in far greater detail with one of our consultants, don't hesitate to contact me directly. Best of luck with your future applications! Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

作者: frankdong    时间: 2004-9-24 11:47

Hi! I think I've got a very informative service here, and appreciate all the information that you've posted regularly. I'm deeply appreciative for the knowledge I've gained in this forum alone! I plan to apply for an MBA programme in the States within the next three to four years, and am keen to work towards a succesful application in a good business school. The plus points/problems that I anticipate, however, are: - My academic grades ( 78 ) are of average standard amongst my peers, but fall exceedingly short of the minimum/average GPA requirements stated by many business schools. - I am graduating from a 3-year degree programme. - I recently took GMAT, and achieved a score of 710. - I have been very actively involved in extra-curricular activities in university, having been elected into the presidential/chairperson positions in almost all of my student union/club activities. (My heavy involvement can be said to be the reason for my less than exciting grades) - I plan to work for the next 2 to 3 years, in a multinational corporation, before applying for an MBA programme. With this in mind, I have been looking through admissions requirements and prerequisites of MBA programmes in top 30 business schools, but have had trouble gauging my potential application standing. Would you think that I stand a chance of being offered a position in schools like McCombs, Olin, Carnegie Mellon and Rotman (Toronto)? Would you suggest that I take additional certificate/diploma courses in private educational institutes to boost my academic credibility before applying to MBA programmes? Thank you in advance for your advice! Many Thanks, Frank

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-9-24 15:24

以下是引用frankdong在2004-9-24 11:47:00的发言:

Hi! I think I've got a very informative service here, and appreciate all the information that you've posted regularly. I'm deeply appreciative for the knowledge I've gained in this forum alone! I plan to apply for an MBA programme in the States within the next three to four years, and am keen to work towards a succesful application in a good business school. The plus points/problems that I anticipate, however, are: - My academic grades ( 78 ) are of average standard amongst my peers, but fall exceedingly short of the minimum/average GPA requirements stated by many business schools. - I am graduating from a 3-year degree programme. - I recently took GMAT, and achieved a score of 710. - I have been very actively involved in extra-curricular activities in university, having been elected into the presidential/chairperson positions in almost all of my student union/club activities. (My heavy involvement can be said to be the reason for my less than exciting grades) - I plan to work for the next 2 to 3 years, in a multinational corporation, before applying for an MBA programme. With this in mind, I have been looking through admissions requirements and prerequisites of MBA programmes in top 30 business schools, but have had trouble gauging my potential application standing. Would you think that I stand a chance of being offered a position in schools like McCombs, Olin, Carnegie Mellon and Rotman (Toronto)? Would you suggest that I take additional certificate/diploma courses in private educational institutes to boost my academic credibility before applying to MBA programmes? Thank you in advance for your advice! Many Thanks, Frank

Hi, Frank. Thanks! The gratitude is never expected, but always appreciated!

Your GPA can be mitigated in your application. It still may be a good idea to build an alternate transcript with a handful of classes. (If you take too many classes, you may be labeled a professional student/degree collector.) A three-year degree is not necessarily a problem. The top b-schools often quietly make exceptions, particularly for graduates from top programs.

I wouldn't spin it that way in your applications. The schools ideally want students who can succeed academically *and* be involved on the campus.

Gaining some professional experience is certainly a good idea. It does not have to come from working for a large MNC though. If you find an opportunity for career development in a smaller company, you should give that opportunity full consideration. (I'm wearing my admission hat?here. Obviously, if you are not comfortable in small companies, ignore this advice.)

With a good career progression, and application story you would be competitive at any business school.

Best of luck with your applications! Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

作者: frankdong    时间: 2004-9-28 18:08

Thanks, Wang.

I will contact you during the National Holiday!

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-10-2 21:41

OK, have a nice holiday!
作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-10-12 12:49

以下是引用windyzheng在2004-10-12 11:22:00的发言: Thanks in a advance for considering my questions! In the Summer 2002 I graduated from SHJTU with Bachelors Degree in Management. I have worked full-time 2 years. I am an Internet Marketing Specialist in a company. I have built a team to work on research projects within the company, and now I manage the marketing division. I want to apply to a Business school, and University of Michigan is on the top of my list. I am affraid, 2 years of work experience is not enough, although I feel that I have strong leadership quilities. I wonder if MBA admission officers will question the possibility of studying full-time and working full-time simultaneously? I have also been leading volunteer activities in my community for past three years. Within my volunteer work I organized activities, and managed fund-rising project. How much consideration does admission commitee give to volunteer work? My TOEFL score is 640, GMAT 660, and GPA 3.5. What are my chances to be admitted to one of the top schools? Should I wait, and aqcuire more work experience?

You ask a good question. Yes, work experience is just a stat, similar to your GMAT score. Just about every admissions officer you will encounter will encourage you to apply when you are ready. When the additional work experience is bringing you closer to your post-MBA career goals and you feel you've achieved the necessary career progression to gain the most from your b-school experience, then you should apply. I know this sounds a bit vague but it's really all I can say in email/discussion board format given the amount of information you provided. On a final note, you may be able to pull a low factor out of the fact that you worked full time and went to school full time. Be warned though, that a lot of applicants attempt to do just this and it's not going to be as impressive if, for one thing, your grades were not strong.

Extracurricular involvement may be the most often overlooked and least understood aspect of the b-school candidacy. It is important not just in quantity, but also in terms of what you did (think leadership, initiative, and organizational skills) and the involvements fit with your application story. If it looks like you were only involved to impress an admissions committee and gain admission to business school, it becomes a major red flag/liability.

At certain schools, your GMAT could be an issue given you are an international applicant and depending on the exact breakout between your quant and verbal scores. I assure you that international applicants with 660 GMAT scores do get admitted into top schools every year, but they have to be a little bit stronger in the other aspects of their candidacies.

See my comments above. Don't hesitate to contact me directly. We can more precisely help you determine if you would benefit from additional work experience and develop a customized and detailed action plan to ensure you are optimally positioned for your future b-school applications. Best of luck with your applications! Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-10-17 23:22

以下是引用gladiator在2004-10-17 22:45:00的发言: Hi and thanks for your help in advance. Its nice to hear from people with experience in reviewing applicants. My parents live in the U.S. and I will likely get my greencard in 3 years. Is it significantly harder for a canadian to be admitted than an american? Concerning work experience, I am a financial analyst working for a blue chip food company, which recruits significantly at my favorite schools in the area of marketing. I currently work on a category team consisting of marketing and sales. As part of a team, I help release promotions as well as launch new products. After working with marketing, i've decided that i'd like to take on that role. However, I would like to get my MBA so as to develop the necessary skills in preparation of becoming a product manager. Being a finance guy, does my background stand its ground in front of the bankers and consultants? In addition, I have had an unbelievable amount of responsibility since starting. Finally i have not participated in many extracurriculars since i finished school. But i will be learning a third language part time as well as spending two weeks teaching englishvolunteering) overseas in a very needy country. Should i look to do more in addition to this? Or would that area still be weak?

Thank you! We take a lot of pride in our qualifications and quality of our services.

It's not that much more difficult. If you are a qualified applicant with a good story to tell, you will be competitive with a green card and you will be able to pursue your post-MBA career goals up to 3 years sooner.

Your experience does not have to be directly comparable to that of a consultant or investment banker. If you can demonstrate a good career progression, you will be fine. There will be a lot of other financial analysts also competing for those precious few spots at the top schools, so don't bank completely on your financial analyst position for differentiation.

Assuming you submit well-prepared applications, additional extracurriculars could easily be what separates an acceptance from a top 5 school from a borderline ding. I would certainly look to beef up this area of your candidacy. Don't pick extracurricular activities haphazardly though. Find ones that will complement your story. These should also be activities you are most likely to enjoy. I don't know enough about you to opine on the usefulness of an alternate transcript but this and many other areas can certainly be covered in a 1 hour pre admissions consultation. Feel free to contact me directly for more information on our services. Best of luck with your future applications! Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-10-17 23:25:36编辑过]

作者: lakegirl    时间: 2004-10-19 12:51

add my information here: my GMAT 690, TOEFL: 620, GPA:3.4

what's my chance to get into a top b-school?

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-10-19 12:52:30编辑过]

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-10-19 15:01

以下是引用foolstar在2004-10-19 10:31:00的发言: 我是2001年毕业于国内top3 学校,后在五大会计师事务所工作了两年,然后辞去了工作, 准备GMAT和申请。我的GMAT成绩是720,TOEFL 640。GPA 3.5我去年申请了一次,但连面试都没有争取到。请问我这样的情况,今年如何准备? 谢谢

Thank you for inquiry!

Frankly speaking, you're a qualified candidate for a top b-school. You have good undergraduate studies background, excellent employer, fairly good G/T scores. But you failed last year. I think a quite possible reason is your rash preparation in essay writing. Most applicants would make this mistake. Another reason might be you gap since you resigned from the public accounting firm. You might have failed to well explain it.

For the application this year, I suggest you find a company that could supply proof when neccessary. But in doing so, don't re-apply the schools you had applied last year. The the next step is to prepare your essays with 10000% efforts. If you realize that you could not present striking essays, then find a reputed writing service institute for editing or consulting service. This will be more helpful for you than fumble by yourself. Should you need our service, please reach directly.

Best of luck with your applciation!

Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-10-19 15:07

以下是引用BOYKING在2004-10-19 11:16:00的发言:

Hi, Mr. Wang, thanks for offering such a wonderful place!

I am assistant VP and marketing manager in a local company, but i hope to get higher development. I have got master dgree in a Chinese famous university. Can i be successful If i apply to top20 b-school?

Hi, Boyking. You have good position, which can well demonstrate your leadership skills. Your academic background is good too. But I don't know your GMAT/TOEFL score and any other things. Since successful application depends many factors, I can't give you a confirmed answer for your question. But I think you are a promising candidate if your are willing to invest suffiicent time and energy to your application, with right attitude.

Best of luck with your future application!

Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-10-19 15:12

以下是引用lakegirl在2004-10-19 12:51:00的发言:

add my information here: my GMAT 690, TOEFL: 620, GPA:3.4

what's my chance to get into a top b-school?

Hi, Lakegirl.

Surely you have a good chance to get into a top school according to your basic information. But the success is left to your big efforts in choosing match schools and preparing application materials, especially admission essays. Once you have done it well, you are halfway to be an MBA student in a prestigious businees education center.

If you have questions on the details how to prepare your application, please contact me freely.

Good luck!

H.S.Wang

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-10-22 11:42

以下是引用foolstar在2004-10-22 11:31:00的发言: hi, wang, could you tell me what do the different MBA rankings mean? thanks.

A very interesting question!

MBA rankings are just one source of information you should consider in evaluating schools. The difference between one publication's MBA rankings and another's is as simple as what information they collect, how they collect it, and how they weight it. At the end of the day, though, they want to sell more of their publications. The fact is that most of the top MBA programs stay at the top; shifting is slight and not always due to overwhelming changes at a school. It's important for you to do your own research about the school you want to attend, because the rankings information is not tailored to you and your needs. Did you know that sometimes a good school won't get ranked because the alumni base is not deemed large enough? There's only one ranking that should count—your own! Hope I've helped you clarified it!

Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

作者: bluesyy    时间: 2004-11-6 02:00     标题: Question about optional essay and round of application

想请问一下,optional essay是最好写还是不写。我听一个很老道的朋友说,一般要写的话,都是解释一下你weak的方面,比如为什么gmat不高,GPA很低,工作了那么久或那么短......所以如果你没什么weak的话,最好不写。是这样么?

还有他说第一轮申请比第二轮更好,是这样的么?

请帮我指点一下啦!谢啦!

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-11-6 2:01:39编辑过]

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-11-6 10:34

以下是引用bluesyy在2004-11-6 2:00:00的发言:

想请问一下,optional essay是最好写还是不写。我听一个很老道的朋友说,一般要写的话,都是解释一下你weak的方面,比如为什么gmat不高,GPA很低,工作了那么久或那么短......所以如果你没什么weak的话,最好不写。是这样么?

还有他说第一轮申请比第二轮更好,是这样的么?

请帮我指点一下啦!谢啦!

Thanks for your questions. (Sorry for reply in English, but I think it can better express my thoughts and ideas.)

The optional essay is a place where you can explain something that is important but that wasn't addressed elsewhere in the application. And it doesn't have to be about something negative (though it usually is). If you think you have soemthing as good as a favorable addition to to your former essays, then do it. It may help build yourself a multi-dimentioanl image.

For example, if in your former essays, you have focused too much on professional experience, then it is somewaht necessary to tell some community service stories in the optional essay. At this moment, it's better than explaining some weakness or leaving it blank. Anyway, don't ramble on, but be brief and to-the-point.

There are no obvious advantages or disadvantages between Round-1 and Round-2. Some schools even declare that they admit the same sumber of applicants in each round. But for international applicants like you(if you are in mainland), pls don't submit your application in Round-3. It depends much more on good luck than your strengths.

If you want to apply top schools for 2005, you still have time. You can submit your personal information to our free evaluation system. We can give you a brief but comprehensive evaluation, and some constructive advice. The link is http://www.topway.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=871 Or you can further contact me for any available help from our profesional service.

Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

作者: bluesyy    时间: 2004-11-6 18:07

hsWang, thank you so much for being so responsive!

In this case, I see what you mean. But in my case, I believe that I have already described a full myself in my previous essays, professionally and personally, and I cannot figure out what to write further in my optional essay. Is it better for me to write something more? Is admission committee would prefer to read this optional essay, which, I think, may mean that I have more interest in the school? If I dont write anything, do you think there will be any problems?

As my friend said, he did not encourage me to write if I dont have anything more special to say. After reading an optional essay I write, he commented that I just repeated myself. So in this case, what do you think? I am just worried that if I do not write that article, it would deduct some value from me overall.

Thank you for your help!

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-11-6 22:50

以下是引用bluesyy在2004-11-6 18:07:00的发言:

hsWang, thank you so much for being so responsive!

In this case, I see what you mean. But in my case, I believe that I have already described a full myself in my previous essays, professionally and personally, and I cannot figure out what to write further in my optional essay. Is it better for me to write something more? Is admission committee would prefer to read this optional essay, which, I think, may mean that I have more interest in the school? If I dont write anything, do you think there will be any problems?

As my friend said, he did not encourage me to write if I dont have anything more special to say. After reading an optional essay I write, he commented that I just repeated myself. So in this case, what do you think? I am just worried that if I do not write that article, it would deduct some value from me overall.

Thank you for your help!

Here I'd like to repeat what I've mentioned above: "The optional essay is a chance that you take to explain something that is important but that wasn't addressed elsewhere in the application" . If you believe you've done everything well in other essays, and you have no obvious weakness, then leave it blank. Don't write anything redundant that may add to admission officer's reading burden. I think they will appreciate your consideration.

You have no need to worry anu deduction of your overall value, since you have shown them well enough in other essays. "one optional essay mean that I have more interest in the school" is unnecessary. You should explain it well in the essay" why this school".

Good luck!

Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

作者: bluesyy    时间: 2004-11-6 23:49

thank you so much for your answer. you provide reasons and sound more convincing than my friend. so i will go on with my other essays. thank you so much!
作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-11-7 17:04

以下是引用bluesyy在2004-11-6 23:49:00的发言: thank you so much for your answer. you provide reasons and sound more convincing than my friend. so i will go on with my other essays. thank you so much!

You're welcome! I look forward to good news of your application.

Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

作者: bluesyy    时间: 2004-11-8 21:24

hi, hswang,

since u r so responsive and sound so experienced, i came to ask you other questions regarding interview. tomorrow i will have an interview with admission director! so really hope that you can help me.

when they ask me to briefly introduce yourself, which is the usual question, how should i respond? this is such a general question that i have a lot to say and also have really few to say. to tell them the history of my growth or just focus my strength.

if they ask me what other schools have i selected, should i respond honestly? what is the best question you suppose to get if u r the interviewer.

besides, how many and what kind of questions can i ask the interviewer?

thank u!

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-11-8 23:05

以下是引用bluesyy在2004-11-8 21:24:00的发言:

hi, hswang,

since u r so responsive and sound so experienced, i came to ask you other questions regarding interview. tomorrow i will have an interview with admission director! so really hope that you can help me.

when they ask me to briefly introduce yourself, which is the usual question, how should i respond? this is such a general question that i have a lot to say and also have really few to say. to tell them the history of my growth or just focus my strength.

if they ask me what other schools have i selected, should i respond honestly? what is the best question you suppose to get if u r the interviewer.

thank u!

Glad to see you again! According to your previous information, you should haven't submitted your essays to b-school. So the admission director know nothing of your essays. When you are asked to introduce yourself, you can use the essay"please elaborate your career progress and why MBA at this point?", you can also add your education ackground. However, remember not to recite your essay, but transform them into oral english, brief anf concise. Don't start on your strengths so early. They just want to know your history in this question. They will learn your strength in later specific questions!

When asked what other schools you've selected, you'd better response honestly. No need to specially choose some top schools. You should be able to give him sound reasons for your selection. If I am the interviewer, what i want to get most from this question is whether the appllicant has the ability to position himself and find match with schools.

2-3 questions are apporpriate for you to ask the interviewer. You should seize this opportuinity to tell that you've know the school well, and want to learn more in order to show your strong interest in the school. So ask some special feature about the MBA program, or some historical events, some activities, clubs, forums etc. You should know them, but want to deepen your knowledge on them through asking the interviewer. Don't ask those too general questions that most applicants would ask.

Don't be nervous. They just want to check your identity, test your language and communication abilities, and evaluate your candidacy as a business leader.

That's my advice. Good luck with your interview tommorow.

Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

作者: bluesyy    时间: 2004-11-8 23:14

hi, hswang,

u r so great and helpful. why have i not found such a good place before?

hope one day i can do something for u and forum. wish me good luck tomorrow! see u

blue

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-11-9 00:42

以下是引用bluesyy在2004-11-8 23:14:00的发言:

hi, hswang,

u r so great and helpful. why have i not found such a good place before?

hope one day i can do something for u and forum. wish me good luck tomorrow! see u

bluesyy:

It's never late for you to find Topway and H.S.Wang,

If you like, you can share your applicantion experience, interview experience on our forum, to help more promising young men. You can also make more of your friends know this website, forum, and me. That will be greatly appreciated.

Best of luck with your interview tomorrow!

H.S.Wang

作者: sharpgun    时间: 2004-11-9 10:09

以下是引用bluesyy在2004-11-8 21:24:00的发言:

hi, hswang,

thank u!

which school? [em17]
作者: robert    时间: 2004-11-9 21:24

签于首席顾问近期的出色表现---自专家答疑栏目开播两个多月以来,H.S.Wang已经为数十位topwayer解答了五花八门的MBA申请问题。现授予鲜花10朵,以资鼓励! [em23][em23][em23][em23][em23][em23][em23][em23][em23][em23]

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-11-9 21:24:34编辑过]

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-11-10 18:52

Robert, thank you for the flowers. My efforts will be persistent。。。。。。。。。

[em48]
作者: bluesyy    时间: 2004-11-10 22:26

10朵都嫌少。真希望多一点人知道这里,不过倒时不知道hswang还会不会有问必答。

我面试的是emory。现在感觉还挺难说的。因为我个人觉得聊得挺开心的,对方也未必。我想等我大致有了结果,一定道这里与大家分享,免得误人子弟。

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-11-11 15:02

以下是引用bluesyy在2004-11-10 22:26:00的发言:

Thanks, bluesyy, I'm really flattered. No problem, I will be here waiting for any questions on MBA application. I'm also pleased to hear you've conveyed your happiness to the interviewer. Good luck!

Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

作者: whitecloud    时间: 2004-11-13 20:30

Amazingly find such a great place. Once I take my GMAT, I will come here to consult Teacher Wang. My goal is to get into a top 10 school. So I need professional instructions. Salute to Wang!

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-11-15 16:44

以下是引用whitecloud在2004-11-13 20:30:00的发言:

Amazingly find such a great place. Once I take my GMAT, I will come here to consult Teacher Wang. My goal is to get into a top 10 school. So I need professional instructions. Salute to Wang!

Welcome, whitecloud. Bless you in taking GMAT!

Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

作者: mialanhero    时间: 2004-11-19 09:24

以下是引用hsWang在2004-11-10 18:52:00的发言:

Robert, thank you for the flowers. My efforts will be persistent。。。。。。。。。

[em48]
[em17][em17][em17][em17][em17]
作者: jojofgasw    时间: 2004-11-24 20:47

So magic is this place!

作者: mialanhero    时间: 2004-11-29 19:56

wonderful to find such a place!
作者: yellowflower    时间: 2004-12-1 01:18

我是大4的学生,专业是国际金融,想将来留学。
我的兴趣在商学院。PHD DBA做研究我不大喜欢,而且时间长,费用太高,这就剩下MS,
例如:master of finance, master of accounting, master of management等等。我
比较倾向于上这个,可是我不知道他们要不要工作经验。美加的网站上没写require
work experience可是有T友说要,所以我很郁闷。你能不能帮我解答这个问题呢?不好
意思,打扰你了,万分感谢!
作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-12-1 12:08

以下是引用yellowflower在2004-12-1 1:18:00的发言: 我是大4的学生,专业是国际金融,想将来留学。 我的兴趣在商学院。PHD DBA做研究我不大喜欢,而且时间长,费用太高,这就剩下MS, 例如:master of finance, master of accounting, master of management等等。我 比较倾向于上这个,可是我不知道他们要不要工作经验。美加的网站上没写require work experience可是有T友说要,所以我很郁闷。你能不能帮我解答这个问题呢?不好 意思,打扰你了,万分感谢!

Thanks for your questions!

Generally, these master program don't require work experience. we've helped a handful of senior students get into these program. But, if your academic background is not so good, some work experience will be beneficial to your application.

Sincerely,

H.S.Wang

作者: yellowflower    时间: 2004-12-2 15:54

tons of millions of thanks!
作者: 小矮人    时间: 2004-12-21 22:22

may i ask a question?
作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-12-22 02:31

以下是引用小矮人在2004-12-21 22:22:00的发言: may i ask a question?
sure, you can.
作者: MarsOcean    时间: 2004-12-25 16:28

(deleted)

[此贴子已经被作者于2008-3-19 7:00:32编辑过]

作者: MarsOcean    时间: 2004-12-25 16:37

还有一个问题, 我正在和网站上提供的邮箱mba-consulting@topway.org联系, 已经快用工行卡付款购买文书了, 想确认一下该邮箱的回复是代表Topway的,谢谢.

我是计算机专业的大四学生, GPA3.0, 学校Top10, T640, GMAT750....没有工作经验, 想申请管理方向的Master, 您有什么建议或者是推荐么? 谢谢

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-12-25 16:42

以下是引用MarsOcean在2004-12-25 16:28:00的发言:

我想请问一下,美国商学院的申请现在是不是大多已经截止了??

另外还有个比较傻的问题:我如果只知道学校的名字, 怎么查到它的网址呢? 谢谢

Yes, some schoos' deadline is approaching.

Please input the school name to the google search bar. (www.google.com). you can find the websites.

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-12-25 16:47

以下是引用MarsOcean在2004-12-25 16:37:00的发言:

还有一个问题, 我正在和网站上提供的邮箱mba-consulting@topway.org联系, 已经快用工行卡付款购买文书了, 想确认一下该邮箱的回复是代表Topway的,谢谢.

我是计算机专业的大四学生, GPA3.0, 学校Top10, T640, GMAT750....没有工作经验, 想申请管理方向的Master, 您有什么建议或者是推荐么? 谢谢

Yes, mba-consulting@topway.org is our official email box. Please set your heart at rest.

Considering your major and your interest in management, MIS is surly a good choice for you.

作者: MarsOcean    时间: 2004-12-25 18:52

(deleted)

[此贴子已经被作者于2008-3-19 7:00:57编辑过]

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-12-25 21:36

以下是引用MarsOcean在2004-12-25 18:52:00的发言:

谢谢您的回答.

我想请问一下在MIS方面您有什么建议或者推荐么, 比如哪里有详细些的介绍,? 申请应该强调计算机方面的学术背景, 还是管理方面的潜力??? 谢谢您.

" 申请应该强调计算机方面的学术背景, 还是管理方面的潜力" Both are preferred.

Here are some frequent asked questions about MIS. Please digest them.

作者: hsWang    时间: 2004-12-25 21:38

MIS F.A.Q.: 1. What do Management Information Systems professionals do? Management Information Systems focuses on designing computer systems to help people and organizations function more effectively. Computer and information systems managers play a vital role in the technological direction of their organizations because they do everything from constructing the business plan to overseeing network and Internet operations. MIS professionals not only apply their broad knowledge of information technologies and business issues, but their vision of where technology can take organizations.

2. What degree options are available in MIS? Undergraduates can earn a bachelor's degree in information systems or information technology, or take classes as part of a business degree. MBA students can choose concentrations in IS/IT, and some schools offer master's degrees and PhDs in MIS/IT.

3. What's the difference between a master's in MIS and an MBA with a MIS concentration? While both an MBA with a focus on information systems/technology and a Master of Information Systems degree will prepare you to assume managerial positions within the field of MIS, the MBA degree will provide you with more general skills that are transferable to other areas. The master's will provide you with greater information systems expertise, but fewer transferable skills. The MBA degree's broad curriculum also helps MIS professionals with client management and other strategic issues in performing their jobs, especially in management advisory services.

4. What will I study in a management information systems degree program? The MIS profession is inherently interdisciplinary, requiring aspects of computer science, cognitive science, psychology and sociology, economics, business, law, library/information studies and communications. Students in MBA programs with an emphasis on MIS will most likely study everything from computer science/programming, program design and data structures, database management, microeconomics, human resources management, finance, managerial accounting, policy, calculus, statistics and management science.

5. What skills are necessary to work in the information systems field? Information systems managers need a broad range of skills—a keen understanding of people, processes, and customer's needs. In addition to technical skills, employers need managers with strong business savvy. Most importantly, MIS professionals should possess excellent communication skills and enjoy working with people - talking about projects and solving problems in teams. They should also be able t understand how to organize information; analyze user information needs design or evaluate information systems that allow for efficient and effective user interaction; provide and assure the quality and value of information to decision makers; understand the economic and social environment in which their organization functions; be familiar with relevant issues in law, economics, ethics and management

6. What is a typical career path for an MIS-MBA graduate? The typical career path within the IS field begins as a Systems Analyst or a Systems Consultant leading to the Chief Information Officer (CIO) or Chief Technology Officer (CTO) positions. An IS or IT professional may have a large number of MIS job titles and positions during his/her career such as: Systems Analyst, Database Administrator, Computer Systems Auditor, Information Systems Manager, Computer and Software Marketing Manager, Office Automation Specialist, Computer Consultant or Network Administrator.

7. What's the overall career outlook for management information systems? According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, career opportunities for MIS professionals are expanding rapidly and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future due to the growth of the e-commerce and telecommunications industries. Opportunities for obtaining a management position will be best for workers possessing an MBA with technology as a core component, advanced technical knowledge and strong communication and administrative skills.

Robert Half International Consulting, found that the average starting salaries in 2001 for high-level information technology managers ranged from $92,250 to $152,500. A 2001 survey by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, stated that starting salary offers for those with an MBA, a technical undergraduate degree, and 1 year or less of experience averaged $61,196; for those with a master's degree in management information systems/business data processing, $57,225.

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-12-25 21:42:26编辑过]

作者: lakegirl    时间: 2005-1-31 00:25

HI, Wang, do you provide sample essays for free online? Or sell them?
作者: hsWang    时间: 2005-1-31 00:48

以下是引用lakegirl在2005-1-31 0:25:00的发言: HI, Wang, do you provide sample essays for free online? Or sell them?

We do not traffic in sample essays. Samples can be good, if used in the right way (as a learning tool.) So we are happy to send you for free good samples of excellent and shoddy essays. But we do not suggest you use these essay as any sort of “model”. Firstly there’s the possibility that Adcom will directly recognize the essay, and therefore your plagiarism. But even if they don’t, the language will be different and the essay will likely not fit in with the rest of your application, which will raise a red flag. Second, unless you are an immensely centered individual, chances are you will be influenced and sucked in to mimicking the model essay that worked for someone else – which by definition won’t work for you. Our advice is: have a look at some examples, understand the principles of success, then put others’ work away and concentrate on telling your own story and communicating your own value.

Cheers H.S.Wang

[此贴子已经被作者于2005-1-31 0:48:50编辑过]

作者: sanpao    时间: 2005-2-25 11:32

以下是引用bluesyy在2004-11-10 22:26:00的发言:

got admitted? good luck!
作者: hsWang    时间: 2005-3-13 00:03

以下是引用windyzheng在2005-3-12 23:53:00的发言: hi,wang! my question is: what are the strengths of UNC Kenan-Flagler? thanks.

Thanks for your question!

My understanding is they are Real Estate, Marketing, and Supply Chain (probably in that order).

Best

H.S.Wang

作者: hsWang    时间: 2005-3-13 15:16

以下是引用topbuilder在2005-3-13 12:07:00的发言:

Hi, Mr. Wang, I am in the process of writing a B-school essay with a 500 word limit. This essay has three specific questions that need to be answered. Does one write a conclude in B-school essays? I was always told that its essential to conclude and summarize the points. However, I have also read that since B-school essays have a word limit it is not necessary to summerize but rather make sure to answer the specific questions within the word limit. So what is the general practice?

There isn't a "general practice" - just do the 500 words on topic. 500 is short enough that if they have forgotten what you were saying by the end (and so need a summary) then you're dead in any case.

Good luck! Wang

作者: sanpao    时间: 2005-3-28 10:50

我本科是读cs,好不容易gt都考完了。现在打算申请business school,比较中意accounting 和finance。但是我对这两个方向都知之甚少,所以还在这两个项目之间摇摆不定,希望您给点意见和知识,关于难度,学习内容,就业前景等等都可以。先谢过了。

作者: hsWang    时间: 2005-3-28 22:47

To Sanpao:I wonder if you have work experience related to accounting or finance. Since your major is in CS, you may better apply to such IT programs as MIS or math or economic related programs. It is difficult for you to make such a sharp transition to finance or accounting, unless you have accumulated relevant experiemce. And of course, the career in these two fields are definitely promising! Best wishes! H.S. Wang

作者: sanpao    时间: 2005-3-29 09:54

thanks,wang.  it seems i have to reconsider my study palns. [em06]
作者: shje    时间: 2005-4-2 00:29

HI, Wang, this question is projecting into the future, concerning admissions to MBA program at Harvard Business School for Fall 2006: Given the following profile, what are the chances of being admitted to Harvard? BS in Applied/Pure Mathematics (May 2005) University of ZJU GPA: 3.7 MA in Mathematical Finance (May 2006) Boston University GPA: 4.0 GMAT: 720+ (is this a good score to aim for? If not, please be more realistic) Research in symmetries of nonlinear partial differential equations (Summer 2004) Excellent Reccomendations from top MathFinance professors.

作者: hsWang    时间: 2005-4-2 14:58

以下是引用shje在2005-4-2 0:29:00的发言:

HI, Wang, this question is projecting into the future, concerning admissions to MBA program at Harvard Business School for Fall 2006: Given the following profile, what are the chances of being admitted to Harvard? BS in Applied/Pure Mathematics (May 2005) University of ZJU GPA: 3.7 MA in Mathematical Finance (May 2006) Boston University GPA: 4.0 GMAT: 720+ (is this a good score to aim for? If not, please be more realistic) Research in symmetries of nonlinear partial differential equations (Summer 2004) Excellent Reccomendations from top MathFinance professors.

Thanks for your question! It seems like you lack some solid work experience. These are some of the profiles I've seen in my friends: one friend who went to HBS had ~4 years of work experience, including 2 years entrepreneurial exp. through taking a brand of cosmetic into another country; one who got into HBS And Stanford Bus had 4 years of Management consulting experience at a top firm with 1 year overseas. (BA from top 5 school); another who went to HBS had 5 years work experience with 3 as actuary, 2 as investment banker.

Two of them have US work experience, only one from mainland. So I suggest you'd better acquire some WE in the next couple of years. After all, getting into HBS needs you to make utmost efforts!

Best wishes to you! H.S. Wang

作者: Errick    时间: 2005-4-2 23:26

Hi Mr Wong,

I need some help, really. I am an engineering grad from Taipei, and applied to three schools. Here is the status:

a) Yale: Waitlist.
b) UMich: Waitlist.
c) CMU: Admitted.

What i was looking out was basically a well rounded experience with scope for improving my interpersonal and communication skills. But from what I see at Tepper (CMU) and the comments that I read at Financial Times, I see that the class at Tepper is composed largely of engineers and technocrats, and the graduates from Tepper do not score well in their interpersonal skills as the graduates from other top B-schools. I am totally confused. Is that true? Is Tepper limited in diversity?

If you were to rate the above three programs, how would you rate them? What do you suggest I do? Drop a year and apply again? Or take up the CMU offer?

Your suggestions shall be appreciated.

Thanks!
作者: hsWang    时间: 2005-4-3 20:02

以下是引用Errick在2005-4-2 23:26:00的发言: Hi Mr Wong, I need some help, really. I am an engineering grad from Taipei, and applied to three schools. Here is the status: a) Yale: Waitlist. b) UMich: Waitlist. c) CMU: Admitted. What i was looking out was basically a well rounded experience with scope for improving my interpersonal and communication skills. But from what I see at Tepper (CMU) and the comments that I read at Financial Times, I see that the class at Tepper is composed largely of engineers and technocrats, and the graduates from Tepper do not score well in their interpersonal skills as the graduates from other top B-schools. I am totally confused. Is that true? Is Tepper limited in diversity? If you were to rate the above three programs, how would you rate them? What do you suggest I do? Drop a year and apply again? Or take up the CMU offer? Your suggestions shall be appreciated. Thanks!

Errick, according to your expectation from MBA studies, you will get less from CMU than from Yale and Michigan. You have a good chance to get into Michigan, since it enrollment rate is not so high as other magic schools. And Yale is defintely your best choice, but since it is an Ivey school your chance will be less than Michigan.

So if you really dissapoited about CMU, you can put your stake on Michigan and try to get off from its waitlist. As for Yale, ou may need to re-apply next year.

Best luck! H.S.Wang

作者: vanillawang    时间: 2005-8-4 01:59

hi, Wang

How competitive would you say I am:

25 yr old
Female
3-yrs experience investment bank
620 GMAT
3.6 GPA at non-top school

Thanks!

[此贴子已经被作者于2005-8-4 1:59:34编辑过]

作者: yangshou    时间: 2005-8-6 22:08

我的GMAT750,自认为很有领导潜力,但是GPA只有2.0,所学专业是计算机,我很不喜欢纯技术工作,很枯燥,毕业后从事的是管理工作,我能通过事例解释我GPA超低的原因,我适合管理工作不适合技术和科研工作

准备申请HBS/KELLOGG/STANDFORD,自认为这几所学校的风格很适合自己,特别是standfoed,我很喜欢它的激情和个人英雄主义风格

如果通过essay和面试,他们认同我的领导潜力,也就是说其他方面都符合他们的要求,

会不会仅仅因为我的GPA超低而拒绝我呢?

THX

欢迎光临 国际顶尖MBA申请交流平台--TOPWAY MBA (http://forum.topway.org/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2