Board logo

标题: FF 133 help me! [打印本页]

作者: wretdgdh    时间: 2004-9-2 20:11     标题: FF 133 help me!

Nature constantly adjusts the atmospheric carbon level. An increase in the level causes the atmosphere to hold more heat, which causes more water to evaporate from the oceans, which causes increased rain. Rain washes some carbon from the air into the oceans, where it eventually becomes part of the seabed. A decrease in atmosphere carbon causes decreased evaporation from the oceans, which cause less rain, and thus less carbon is washed into the oceans. Yet some environmentalists worry that burning fossil fuels may raise atmospheric carbon to a dangerous level. It is true that a sustained increase would threaten human life. But the environmentalists should relax---nature will continually adjust the carbon level.

Which one of the following, if true, would most weaken the argument in the passage?

(A) Plant life cannot survive without atmospheric carbon.

(B) It is not clear that breathing excess carbon in the atmosphere will have a negative effect on human life.

(C) Carbon is part of the chemical “blanket” that keeps the Earth warm enough to sustain human life.

(D) Breathing by animals releases almost 30 times as much carbon as does the burning of fossil fuels.

(E) The natural adjustment process, which occurs over millions of years, allow wide fluctuations in the carbon level in the short term.

why E is correct, although I select it....

Can NN translate it into Chinese, and explan why E weaken the conclusion? TKS very much!
作者: mary1    时间: 2004-9-2 20:13

我的理解是:

E说:大自然数万年的自我调节过程只能允许短期内的二氧化碳含量的起伏。(言下之意,由人类造成的二氧化碳的剧烈增幅往往需要大自然用上万年的时间来调节过来)

所以原题中认为既然大自然可以自我调节二氧化碳含量,我们就不需要留意控制其排放量的观点是不成立的了。

请指正!

欢迎光临 国际顶尖MBA申请交流平台--TOPWAY MBA (http://forum.topway.org/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2