Board logo

标题: [分享]如何在申请过程中给自己定位 [打印本页]

作者: bluepassion    时间: 2008-4-2 14:33     标题: [分享]如何在申请过程中给自己定位

How to know when you’ve got a shot

You have the perfect opportunity NOW to figure out where you stand and DO something about it.

I think it was Clint Eastwood, in one of his memorable roles that I can no longer remember, who said, “A man’s got to know his limitations.” Naturally, of course, that applies to us all, but his point is that whether you’re up against a desperado or applying to college (not wholly dissimilar), it helps to know where you stand.

Over the past five years, the editors have answered hundreds of questions about getting into college. But more than anything, the question that comes up most is about knowing the odds. Here’s a typical question:

While I have a solid 4.0 GPA, I have a disappointing (to my standards) SAT of 1,190. There are some competitive colleges I’d like to get into, but the average SAT scores for the colleges are in the high 1,200s. I’ve worked with computers and art/design since I was young enough to get working papers and done Web design for companies. I participate in several extra-curriculars, founded the computer club at my high school, and directed the pep band. My question is, do you think that this previous job experience is good enough to counteract shortcomings in my SAT score?”

In his popular book on risk management, Against the Gods, Peter Bernstein says the revolutionary idea that defines the boundary between modern times and the past is the management of risk—that the future is more than a whim of the gods and that we, as people, are not passive before nature.

The great minds who have developed the theories of risk—from Haley to Pascal to Keynes—have tried to put into perspective the whole game of playing the odds, whether it is simply a game of chance or applying to college. Your objective is to limit the risk that you won’t get in and increase the odds that you will get in. Fail to figure this out in advance, and you’re destined for one of three outcomes:

You've aimed too low. By seeing yourself as uncompetitive with others, it is easy not to compete, simply to give up on shooting for lofty goals.

You've aimed too high. By failing to be realistic about your chances, disaster can strike. When it comes to college, you should always apply to a school that is considered to be a “safety”—a sure bet for entrance when all others fail.

You fail to fix fixable problems. You consider yourself out of the race and don’t take the measures necessary to allow you to compete for a spot at your top choice.

So how do you find out where you stand? Surprisingly, it’s a simply process.

First, take an inventory of your past performance, including grade point average; courses you’ve taken and will take; PSAT, SAT, or ACT scores; class rank; a listing of accomplishments; extracurricular activities; and people who could provide recommendations. This basic one-page assessment of where you stand is essential in any sizing-up process.

Next, you should assemble a list of colleges you’d like to attend and understand each one’s admissions requirements. If you wait 憈il too late in the game—say, your senior year of high school—there’s not much to do to tailor your record to the college of your choice. If they want an extra year of foreign language, for instance, it’s too late for you to take it.

Your list of colleges should fall into three groups: Your top college choice, no matter how difficult to get into or how expensive; three to four schools that appeal to you and that seem to be a nice fit from an academic and cost standpoint; and a couple of schools to which you’d readily be accepted. This isn’t your final list; you’ll add or delete schools from that basic group of six or so. But each time you do add or delete schools over the next couple of years, make sure they fulfill one of the three groups and that you have at least two schools in each group.

Third, put your high school in perspective by finding out where other students have been accepted into college. Some counselors keep this information on file, but if not, you shouldn’t hesitate to ask upperclassmates where they have applied and been accepted. There’s no question that colleges have their feeder high schools, and if you don’t hear any of your choices being mentioned, find out why and be prepared to row against the tide.

Next, study the admissions process by reading various publications such as Barron’s or Peterson’s guides to colleges. It’s unfortunate that so many students base their decisions on the hearsay of friends when the real numbers are just a library away. Getting the facts is an essential strategy in improving your odds.

Finally, learn to adapt. If your SAT or ACT score is a little low, perhaps taking the test again would increase your chances of gaining admission. If your course selection is out of synch with what the college wants, then change it. If you’re a great student with great test scores but you’ve done nothing else, get involved.

The key to success is planning ahead, and tenth grade isn’t too soon. Late-comers have little opportunity to control the odds, and when they do size themselves up—or worse, when someone does it for them—there’s little they can do about shortcomings. You have the perfect opportunity NOW to figure out where you stand and DO something about it.

You can get into the college of your choice.
作者: benzheren    时间: 2010-3-29 14:00

goog
作者: mvmv90    时间: 2010-4-4 21:41

many  thanks !!!
作者: EGHJUYMN    时间: 2010-4-5 22:18

感谢了!!!
作者: victoria820    时间: 2010-4-8 22:31

谢谢分享!!
作者: Caesar    时间: 2010-4-12 11:58

good
作者: gotohavard    时间: 2010-4-20 00:47

谢谢分享

欢迎光临 国际顶尖MBA申请交流平台--TOPWAY MBA (http://forum.topway.org/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2