返回列表 发帖

Why Dartmouth Tuck MBA

2002 Dartmouth Tuck MBA Admissions Chat
Oct 22, 2002
Kristine Laca, Tuck's Director of Admissions

问:当您看到一份申请材料的时候,首先看什么,最后看什么?
答:Well, it depends on the file - we are fairly comprehensive in the review process.
I usually start with the application itself

问:第一轮共有多少申请者?
答: The Early Admit round was new this year. There were just under 400 apps for the early round.

问:请介绍一下你们的曲棍球俱乐部?
答:The Hockey Club is one of the most popular clubs on campus. Over 50% of the students on campus play on one of the teams. All skill levels are welcome to play hockey.

问:你们分几个轮次录取,是不是每轮的录取率都有不同的规定?或者每轮有固定的录取率?
答:Cal, there is an analysis from a few years back in a chat with Sally Jaeger on the Business Week site. Basically I feel earlier is better.Actually Cal, it was last year's chat. You can find it at http://www.accepted.com/chat/transcripts/2002/mba01282002.aspx .
We do not have any fixed % - it depends on the applicant pool

问:Tuck的强项是什么?
答: Tuck has a lot of strong points but programmatically, we specialize in a general management focus and extensive teamwork. Tuck's strength is general management: there are no concentrations as such. You're free though to specialize in your choices of electives to concentrate in an area you like.

问:在评审录取的时候,是不是根据背景,工作经验,性别进行分类?
答: It is hard to characterize exactly... We have no set formula.

问:被录取的学生有多大比例能获得财政资助?奖学金?或者只在某一轮申请拿奖的希望才大?
答: Around 70% of the class receives financial aid
We have selected most candidates from the first three rounds.

问:校外租房是不是很贵($1400 for a 2/2)?
答:Off-campus rent will probably run from $1,000 - $1,200 for a two bedroom. Rent isn't cheap up here, but it isn't nearly as expensive as most major cities.

问:请介绍一下团队合作的情况?
答: Teams are a mix. Some assigned (mostly fall term first year), and then picked by students. Most of my teamwork has been in teams that self-formed, so you do get to elect who you work with.
Regarding teamwork, a lot of work is in teams: it means you really get to understand team dynamics

问:有多少人申请你们的Early Decision Program?
答:We have had a great response - almost 400 applications.

问:你们要求申请者最低具备多少年工作经验?
答: As with all things, there is a range. The minimum is zero (but it happens very infrequently).

问:对于Peace Corps or AmeriCorps的成员,Tuck是不是免收申请费?
答: We will occasionally offer waivers - please e-mail me directly so we can discuss

问:Tuck 在战略管理方向很强,请问这个方向的毕业生都从事什么工作呢?
答: Traditionally many Tuck graduates have filled the ranks of the more prominent strategy consulting firms after graduation. With many of those firms cutting MBA hiring recently, many students are pursuing strategy careers with general management firms.

问:你们班上的中国学生如何进行实习的?
答: I know two of my Chinese classmates returned to Hong Kong for their internships; the other three got internships in the USA.

问:这届毕业生已经开始求职了吗?情况如何?校友会的帮助大吗?
答: Recruiting for second years has started. Going well so far, we just started on campus interviews this week and many students are doing off-campus searches as well. The market is tight, but we keep our hopes up!
Fortunately the Tuck alumni network is a huge help in pursuing job searches, especially in a market like this one. I found my job this past summer through an alumni who really went to bat for me.
I found that the alumni network was helpful in getting a company, who didn't normally recruit at Tuck, to talk to me. Once the door was opened, however, the onus is on the student to nail the position. I found the alumni network simply a tool, not a necessity.

问:如果GMAT只有660,是不是前景不妙?
答:Our range is 540-800, so that's not an absolute clanger. But the GMAT is something you can control.

问:计划录取的400人中会有多少国际学生?
答: We are still running the stats, so I cannot tell you that today (probably tomorrow I will know).

问:Tuck要求有工作经验,但不要求简历,如果提交了会有什么影响吗?
答: Most people put the same information in the application

问:the '03 MBA program将要录取多少人?每一轮的录取率有多高?
答: Our goal is a class no larger than 240

问:学校就业办公室是如何运作的?看来和校友联系紧密?
答: I don't really understand your question. Tuck alumni are VERY supportive and that usually means we get a good chance at any position.
The career office definitely encourages students to work the alumni network. But that is by no means the only way to find a position. The career office sources many on-campus recruiting opportunities as well. It has a dual focus.

问:请问你当初申请的时候,还申请了那些学校?
答: I applied to Wharton and Kenan-Flagler. Tuck was the best choice for me: I felt it offered everything I was looking for. Plus when I came to visit, I just fell in love with the place.
For me, it was more a question of whether to get an MBA. I knew if I got one, it would be from here. I learn well in a collaborative setting and love the Hanover area for a number of reasons. Tuck was perfect.

问:对第一年的新生来说,最大的挑战是什么?
答: - I think the biggest challenge for 1st years is just getting back into school mode. As you can imagine, the school life is a lot different than the working world. The other thing I will add is that the workload is tough. I won't kid you about that. The first term was one of the most challenging periods of my life from a workload standpoint.

问;Tuck 是如何使自己与其他号称close-knit community的商学院区别开来?(Sloan, Haas, Anderson, etc)
答: I think one thing that is different about Tuck is that we are located in a small town where we interact a lot with one another. You see your professors out for dinner, you pass your classmates on the ski slopes, and there are always tons of us out on the golf course (during 2nd year!). It's a VERY neat experience.
Tuck has a lot of unique points. We are a tight knit school, but we are also in a small town. We have the mountains in our backyards, etc etc. There is a true sense of community and energy here that I find unique.

问:如果夫妇俩人都申请Tuck,是不是需要在材料上注明关系?
答: Absolutely! We have several partner couples attending Tuck.

问:2002年,McKinsey从Tuck招募新员工了吗?为2003届学生提供实习机会了吗?
答: McKinsey does recruit at Tuck, both for interns and full time. All of the big consulting outfits recruit here. No worries.

问:如果一个人的职业目标是做IT 咨询,但却想选择General Management方向,这样做有负面影响吗?
答: No.

问:没有工作经验的人如果要被录取,需要具备哪些条件?
答:Outstanding applicants with strong leadership, academics and leadership (in the community, university and summer jobs).

问:Tuck毕业生自己创业的比例有多大?
答: The proportion is small right at graduation, but there are plenty of resources. We have a professor here whose specialty is entrepreneurship, and a great private equity centre.

问:如果对战略咨询感兴趣,是不是在当今的经济形势下,对申请者不是很有利?
答: Now isn't an easy time to get a job with any of the strategy firms. All b-schools are facing this dilemma. The firms are still coming to campus and recruiting, but these firms aren't recruiting like they were in the late 90's. So the simple answer is that you can definitely still get strategy consulting jobs, but they aren't just sitting there waiting for applicants like they might have a few years ago.

问:Tuck的国际化全球化怎么样?
答: It has a global focus - in curriculum, with faculty and with students (33% international) - also research and filed studies in international locations. We also have global internships and the International Field Study program.

问:你能确认McKinsey确实来Tuck招聘员工吗?
答: I believe McKinsey did not come on campus to recruit, but they did take Tuck students. They are one of our top recruiters. Try looking at www.tuckjobs.com for more info on past McKinsey action. I personally am not pursuing strategy consulting, but know many people here do, and McKinsey is a top pick.
McKinsey has a strong connection with tuck-- lots of alumni-- they have done pro bono consulting projects for Tuck in the past as a favor.

问:哪个教授专攻entrepreneurship 方向?
答: We also have the Dartmouth Entrepreneurial Network which acts as an incubator
Prof Horvath

问:如何评价成绩单?
答: We read them very closely, looking for progression, success and breadth/depth. Sometimes, it can be a bit challenging though.

问:如果GMAT的语文分数偏低,如何解释?
答: We do not have a minimum GMAT score. Should you have a score that is lower than you'd like in verbal, your written application should help reflect your writing and communication skills.

问:在Tuck学习一年后,你的职业目标有什么变化吗?
答: My career goals have changed considerably. I came to Tuck thinking I would follow the legions of MBA's into Consulting or I-Banking. After a few months of thinking about what I really wanted to do, I decided not to recruit on campus and to conduct my own independent job search in real estate. It was a great decision, and I had a wonderful summer experience.

问:已婚学生申请校内宿舍困难吗?
答: Married students get priority for living in Sachem, which is not technically on campus but is a 5 minute drive away and inexpensive, college sponsored. Couples with children get first preference but many married, childless couples live there... lots of Tuck neighbors!

问:Tuck的毕业生好像更多的投身于咨询和金融业,那么同那些新兴的产业比如生物技术有由什么联系吗 ?
答: We used to have around 80% of our grads go into IB and consulting. That's now at about 60%. Connections in Biotech and IT are excellent through our Digital Strategies Center.

问:顶尖的商学院之间到底有什么区别?
答:I would encourage you to visit each of the programs you are applying to. Every school is going to try to tell you how great they are, how tight the community is, how great the alums are, etc. I would encourage you to come to campus and experience each school for yourself.
I went to a recruiting event last year and saw one of my classmates introduce two students from the same school to each other. After a term they hadn't met each other. It's one of Tuck's attractions that everyone knows everyone.

问:McKinsey去其他的商学院现场招聘吗?不来校园招聘的公司是不是就意味着对这个学校的毕业生不感兴趣?
答:I am not sure. I am sure that we have had recent hires in the past. You would have to check with other programs to see if McKinsey went on campus.
Fit is VERY important when deciding where to go. I can't emphasize that strongly enough.
Because we only have 240 students in a graduating class, we provide a large number of recruiting opportunities tailored to each firm's needs.
收藏 分享

这篇也是!

很有价值的
Your future. Our mission.
MySpace: http://forum.topway.org/sns/?11416
WeChat:6711025
Weibo:  laowang_topway

Tuck,贵族学校阿,我想去,呵呵
人并不是因为美丽才可爱,而是因为可爱才美丽。

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务