返回列表 发帖

Essay03

Please describe an ethical issue that you have faced, how you dealt with the situation and what the outcome was.

In October 1996, I faced a situation in which I was not sure whether I could be completely honest with my employer about my intention to pursue an MBA abroad. In the end, After careful consideration, I decided that I had to be completely truthful no matter what. It turned out, as it usually does, that honesty worked best in enhancing my best interests.

One day in that October, my department manager summoned me into her office. After lavishing praise on my performance, she told me that I would be promoted to the position of a group manager. Before I digested the news, she asked me to sign an agreement by which I would commit myself to three years of employment with the company in exchange for the opportunity to undertake an intensive management training program in Helsinki, where the company is headquartered.

The development took me by surprise, as I had planned to quit for MBA studies abroad, which would certainly catalyze my career even higher. For that purpose, I had taken the TOEFL and was scheduled to take the GMAT the next March. My plan then was to start my MBA studies in the Fall of 1998. If I took the company's offer of training and promotion, I would have to either put off my planned MBA studies or run the risk of breaching the employment contract with my company Kornia. At the time it was hard to gauge the risk since I had not applied for acceptance into any MBA program yet, and did not know whether I would get accepted into a quality MBA program. But I really wanted to commence the MBA studies as soon as possible.

Naturally, I would like to take advantage of the opportunities on both fronts, if at all possible. As the breach of an employment contract routinely goes with impunity in China, the temptation was there for me to sign the employment agreement with Kornia and wait and see my chance of MBA studies. In any case, the prospect of my MBA studies was still uncertain, and I was not sure whether I should jeopardize my immediate chance of promotion and training by informing my current employer of such an uncertain prospect.

Back to home that day, I carefully thought the matter over. Although I felt that I could take the chance of accepting Kornia's offer while waiting to see my prospect of MBA studies, I felt that I should not arrange things in a way that would suit only my purposes. I should put my employer on notice of my plan to pursue MBA studies so that my bosses could be prepared for my departure or absence. And I felt that it would be unconscionable for me to break a promise once I make it. In spite of the risk that my chance of immediate promotion and training would be spoiled, I should tell my employer of all the circumstances so that they could make an informed decision on my future in the company.

Having straightened up my thinking, I went to see my department manger two days later. After expressing my desire to assume more responsibility and participate in the proposed training, I told her my personal plan, and asked her to make her decision in view of the potential conflict between that plan and the company's offer. As much as I wanted to advance my career, I also wanted to be fair with the company. It was a lengthy conversation. For the most part, my manager just listened. Job-hopping was then so common for quality managerial people in China that many employers had got used to surprises. My department manager was also surprised, but in a way that was apparently very pleasant to her. She was struck by my honesty.

When I finished talking, she seemed very moved. "Thank you for your trusting me so much," she said. "I understand your intention to develop yourself, and I believe there may be a way to bridge your personal plan with that of the company." Since it was still two years before my MBA studies would start, she still hoped that I would participate in that training and take the offer of promotion. As the agreement was part of human resources policy, she had to discuss the matter with the HR manager. "I would work something out for you," she said.

I felt very relieved after the conversation. After all, I did the right thing, and it would not impact on my career negatively. One week later, my manager told me that the HR manager agreed to take my case as an exemption and put an appendix to the standard agreement. According to the added provision, I would be granted unpaid leave of absence for studies for my MBA studies once I obtained an offer of acceptance. If I came back to Kornia Group after gaining an MBA degree, my absent years would be counted as part of my seniority in the company. This result was totally unexpected, but it proved that, with honesty, one could find a simple solution to a very complex problem.

ZZ:tol24.com
收藏 分享
请大家在提问之前先行浏览精华区,里面包括大量的申请技巧,学校介绍,专业排名,文书范例。 入口如下:http://www.topway.org/bbs/list.asp?boardid=76 精华区只供浏览和回复,如果需要发布新主题提问,请在addmission区提问,谢谢合作。

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%

查看