返回列表 发帖

EssayDisasters 2

Abusing Buzzwords, Acronyms, Platitudes and Jargon

Ok, you have decided against plagiarizing essays and are creating your own. So, what are you trying to achieve with these essays?

Clearly we know that these essays are promotional material for you. They are your opportunity to impress the admissions officer. But how does one write impressive essays? That is a tough question to answer. So, you take the easy way out. Spit-polish your essay with buzzwords, acronyms, platitudes and jargon. Here is a sample:

The resurgent American economy needs leaders of the future. Leaders who can enable people and bring out the best in them. Even in my chosen vertical of telecom, I would like to bring in the vision that I will develop from an MBA program. I will use Bluetooth, x.n protocols and the .NET framework to sustain the core organizational technological competence. But more importantly, I will move with the times and develop in my employees a sense of intrapreneurship ?the feeling of ownership.

Give me a minute to stop laugh at that ridiculous piece of writing.

What would you say if I told you that the above extract is from an actual admission essay? There are many such examples. Let me be categorical here - they do not impress the reader. Instead, they convince the reader of your utter bankruptcy of originality, ingenuity and character.

Want to impress the reader? Try doing these instead:

Clearly chalk out where you are and where you want to go.

List a few basic reasons for your career choice ?in simple language.

Understand the intent of the essay question and display depth of thought (rather than the shallowness of big words).

Write relevant stuff that presents a consistent idea; that is very you.
So are you still going to rush to the thesaurus? I think that would be an appalling dire debauched shoddy contrite idea J

[此贴子已经被老michael于2003-3-3 20:05:41编辑过]

收藏 分享

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%

查看