返回列表 发帖
In 2000, I accepted a full-time offer from a young firm in Boston named Nextera (also now defunct), where I "helped build a beta site for an incubated financial services dot-com," among other things. Mostly I played foosball. The whole experience was so 2000 — the Aeron chair, exposed brick, leverage your core competencies rigmarole. And, yep, I'm 22 and never had a real job, so you better listen up.

To the surprise of everyone except everyone, we were all soon laid off. I spent the next two-and-a-half years in multifarious roles: project manager for a Delaware IT firm, helping with a faith-based philanthropy group in Cambodia and Vietnam, waiter/bartender in Boston's Beacon Hill, and working with high-powered attorneys and Ph.D.s down in Washington developing epidemiological damage models in support of nine-figure asbestos bankruptcy settlements.

I thought about applying to B-school, but I decided I needed (and wanted) a broader consulting experience beforehand. In 2003, I moved to a 60-person strategy consulting firm in northern Virginia, Dean & Company, where I worked as a generalist strategy consultant for telecom, banking, and even weather forecasting clients. "Typical" projects there were not, but Dean's consulting practice does skew towards data- and operations-focused cases. I traveled about 25% of the time, and, generally, the people were mind-bogglingly intelligent and quite quirky, but I guess those go hand-in-hand. The experience certainly lived up to its educational expectations.

THE WHARTON WAY.  So that's it. I still consider myself a consultant, going so far as to interview for and get a paid MBA consultant position with Wharton's Small Business Development Center where I'll be working with sub-$10M firms looking to grow or change their business (stay tuned for more on SBDC). As far as my in-classroom experience, I'm looking to build my hard skills, especially in finance, hence the decision to attend Don Trump's "School of fin-ANTS." Like Duke, though, Wharton is so much more. I'm actually planning on steering clear of all the intense finance classes with the Gordon Gekko wannabes, instead getting my quant base out of the way quickly and shifting focus to marketing, entrepreneurship and general management.

Wharton is major-based and aggressively academic (though not nearly as much as, say, Chicago, I think), so you really have the opportunity to learn more from a skills perspective than you would in a purely case-based environment. Wharton prides itself on substance, navigating the fine line between textbook skills and the real-world experience that I think this is crucial to attaining both the "CEO perspective" and the operational know-how to control details and be successful at all levels of an organization.

Wharton has also impressed me with its driven community. To a high degree, students mold the experience, driving curriculum change, club formation, career development, and a very full social life that always has you going, talking, drinking. I think our next event is Walnut Walk, where the school goes bar-hopping wearing formal business attire up top and bedtime apparel (boxers for guys, for girls I don't know what) down below.

More dramatic than this re-entry into such a collegiate social life, though, has been re-entry into an academic environment as immersive as Wharton's.

Missing the occasional class is not an option and case preparation is prerequisite; pity the fool who gets cold-called in marketing without adequate analysis in paw. And then there's the equally odd-feeling transition which I can already feel sneaking up on me of re-entering the "real world" this summer and then after school. Assuming an entrepreneurial tech or private equity firm doesn't nab my interest, I'll be moving back into consulting (yes, more case interviews come February!). Ideally, I'd then move into an internal strategy capacity to gain greater operational exposure. My long-term goal is to get into VC and start my own technology company focused on wireless software and emerging applications, but not necessarily in that order, while also keeping up my nonprofit involvement.

Getting my MBA at Wharton is an integral piece of this career jigsaw puzzle. From my $135K investment, I hope to gain a sound set of management skills, a grounding in finance and marketing, a diverse and successful set of lifelong peers, plus personal branding that will follow me as I move from consulting into private equity, business ownership, and wherever else I want to go.

BESTING THE BEAST.  As for applying, begin early, know what you want, and be very ready to answer the question: Why MBA? Why now? Why our school? You need to have these questions down. Yes, you need to knock out the GMAT, get your recommenders prepped to say wonderful things about you, and write about the time you saved XYZ Company from impending disaster while in your ample spare time leading the construction of an orphanage in Zaire. (Of course, you run and win marathons and paid your way through Yale, too, running a hedge fund on your laptop.)

Seriously, the messaging is crucial. You have to sell yourself as a low-risk admit who is self-actualized (not just type-A) and able to get the most out of their specific program. You need to really add to their community. So, know what makes you unique. I thought at first as a Caucasian consultant with an engineering background and scattershot extra-work leadership, I was bland. I then invested considerable time highlighting my uniqueness (work overseas building churches, founding a cancer advocacy nonprofit with my physician father, you get the idea), and saw my unique story begin to bubble to the surface. Only one of my core essays discussed work.

BESTING THE BEAST.  As for applying, begin early, know what you want, and be very ready to answer the question: Why MBA? Why now? Why our school? You need to have these questions down. Yes, you need to knock out the GMAT, get your recommenders prepped to say wonderful things about you, and write about the time you saved XYZ Company from impending disaster while in your ample spare time leading the construction of an orphanage in Zaire. (Of course, you run and win marathons and paid your way through Yale, too, running a hedge fund on your laptop.)

Seriously, the messaging is crucial. You have to sell yourself as a low-risk admit who is self-actualized (not just type-A) and able to get the most out of their specific program. You need to really add to their community. So, know what makes you unique. I thought at first as a Caucasian consultant with an engineering background and scattershot extra-work leadership, I was bland. I then invested considerable time highlighting my uniqueness (work overseas building churches, founding a cancer advocacy nonprofit with my physician father, you get the idea), and saw my unique story begin to bubble to the surface. Only one of my core essays discussed work.

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%

查看