返回列表 发帖

[Tulane University]申请2013 Freeman School的同学注意了,关于Essay写作~转

亲爱的同学们,

首先感谢你们对Tulane Freeman Business School的兴趣。(这么正式怎么有种不自在的赶脚...)

我现在是Tulane Freeman Business School的中国学生代表,所以后面任何有关于Tulane的事儿,我都会及时在这边公布。(<-厚颜无耻讨好下诸位

今天这篇博的主要目的是谈下,关于在写Essay时应该注意的一些事项,尤其是我这两天跟学校的Admission Office的工作人员聊天,听到了她们的一些困扰,所以特此想向诸位转达下她们的意愿。(<--终于言归正传了....

主要的问题在哪里呢?就是别把Essay写成Personal Statement. 这边的Lady们每天都要收到很多的application,她们很看重的一点就是创意,creativity. 譬如说,如果她们问到,what's your impressive city? 你不能说只是单纯回答一个上海,你得讲一个故事,通过这个故事,她们能够了解到你的价值观世界观生活观(这边好像小夸张了点...

但言而总之,总而言之,千万别把自己的Essay写的太平庸。跟她们聊天的时候,尤其是katie, 她是Essay和Selection的主要操作人,她反复提到有的Essay很boring,just like resume and personal statement. 当然这里的essay不是针对中国学生的,是来自世界各地的。

当然我也是过来人,一个小Essay能展示什么个性啊?那么短,而且还是用我们不擅长的英文.. 有的人会找Agency去写,但我不是很赞同的。Katie曾跟我讲,Obviously this essay came from the Agency. 她们都是身经百战的,别把这些妇女当傻瓜!

其实你也不一定要单纯地写Essay,写故事,你也可以提供一些可视化的东西提高你的竞争力。去年MFIN的招生中,她们要求学生提供视频,就很成功,因为有新意。

上面思维扩散地写了一堆,归根结底一句话:一定要有新意,这个新意不一定来自故事,可以是形式主题或者写作方式的不同。一定要避免Boring!

清博
2013 MBA Candidate
Tulane Freeman School Of Business

Written on Oct. 4th
收藏 分享

这同样是我写的,主要是让Katie过目下,是不是她想表达的意思,她的回复是“Absolutely correct, I would not change a work, and post away”. So, 给你们作为参考吧。
如果有什么问题的话,你们可以跟帖,我会及时回复的。
Dear students,

Thank you for applying for Tulane first. I can thoroughly understand your eagerness to stand out yourself and get a successful admission, because two years earlier, I was in your position. Today I just want to share some of my thoughts about essay writing.

Before you start your essay, first of all, think about the most obvious, superficial but critical question, why Tulane selected this essay question for such an important selection process? What’s their purpose? What do they want to know from your writing? Going on further, always keep these questions in mind.

For example, if they asked you “please describe your favorite city”, you cannot simply answer it “Beijing” as you did in TOFEL oral exam. Even the 3-year-old kid could say one name of a city just because he happened to enjoy a big birthday party in that city. You have to think, how you can start off from a unique perspective to describe this chosen city, and through the description your values, experiences, thinking, personality, or even your habits could get elaborated to form a vivid, live image in readers’ mind. NO personal statements, that’s boring. That’s what resume is there for.

Essay is a powerful vehicle to deliver your personal “portrait” to the front of recruiters to excel yourself out of thousands of applications. Make sure to take wise use of this vehicle.

Best,
Bella

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%

查看