返回列表 发帖

[分享]Interview with a Columbia MBA Couple

Interview with a Columbia MBA Couple

Joanna and Yingbin are more than a couple. They are college classmates, McKinsey colleagues and Columbia MBA classmates.

JANE: Joanna, four years ago, you graduated from laceName>FudanlaceName> laceType>UniversitylaceType>. That year McKinsey China hired 2 persons in Shanghai - you and another person who was then your boyfriend and is now your husband - out of probably 1,000 applicants. That must be tougher than applying to a top MBA. Tell us something about that experience.

Joanna: When looking backwards, I also feel it was a bit of luck.

Actually I was planning to go to Hong Kong to pursue a Doctor's Degree in Finance due to a very good opportunity offered by Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. However, McKinsey's campus presentation impressed me so much that I thought it was worth it for me to go through the interview process. I remember that we had to fill in the application form, which includes three questions quite similar to B-school essays. That was maybe the first time for us to go through a process similar to a B-school application. Both Yingbing, my husband, and I were so happy that we were on a short list to have the chance to get interviewed. At least round 0 passed!

The whole interview process is quite long and challenging. Yingbing and I were joking that it was the first time we spoke so much English, because all the interviews were in English, for both case study and general questions. The two interviews for the first round were relatively easy with general questions only, but more than half of the students were screened out after that. There were 2 interviews each for round 2 and 3, which is much tougher given the unfamiliar case study. Both Yingbing and I had the same feeling - the more interviews we had, the more interested we were in getting into McKinsey. Those interviewers were so professional, smart and nice that we were sure that we would enjoy the experience there. After 6 interviews, there were only 4 lucky guys left.

Some rumor said McKinsey would only pick 1-2 in the last round and we did not hold much hope that both of us would survive - it was such a perfect scenario that hardly could happen. If there would only be one get selected, I was hoping it was Yingbing, because I can still go to HKUST. Luckily, with our demonstrated strength, we became the only 2 hired that year in Shanghai.

JANE: That is simply wonderful! You must be the envied couple in college! Could you talk about your college life a little bit?

Joanna: Maybe a bit stereotyped, but I have to say that college life is the most wonderful life so far. I also believe I have had a rich life there; friends, study, social work and part-time jobs.

I am the sort of person to live for experience, so I would rather tighten my schedule up to study well, work well, and play well. I worked for Student Government as head of Public Affairs. I tried all kinds of jobs, such as English teacher, waitress at Da Jia Salon (Salon in Fudan), real estate agent, market researcher, and even account receivable consultant. All these experiences helped me live busily but happily in college and they helped me get a relatively impressive CV to present to job recruiters and schools.

收藏 分享

JANE: So you had all kinds of working experience. The job with a top consulting firm must be a totally different one. What was it like?

Joanna: It was fast-paced. Lots to learn. You have to perform under pressure. Of course, long working hours were unavoidable. But still lots of happy moments to remember forever.

JANE: Tell us one or two of the happiest moments at McKinsey?

Joanna: One of the happiest moments in McKinsey was our team dinner. With long working hours, we really enjoyed a dinner together with all McKinsey friends to discuss the latest trend of the China economy, joke about stressful moments during the projects, and exchange gossip within the firm. These are really the moments to refresh our minds and prepare better for the next round of work, because normally we still have to go back and work!

JANE: Consultants deal with analysis and presentation all the time and yet four years ago, you were already familiar with the Western way of application - you successfully applied to HKUST. Did you find applying to top MBA programs easy? Tell us something about your application experience.

Joanna: I was recommended to HKUST by the Dean of Management School, so that was without application. Of course, 3 years with McKinsey definitely strengthened my background and helped me know how to think and write structurally. However, applying B-school is still one of the toughest things I've ever gone through. You need to plan well, because the whole application
process is like a project. When to search schools, when to get GMAT, TOEFL, when to talk to references, when to write essays. All these need to be well under control.

The toughest thing for me still is the essay. Essay writing is very different from writing presentations. Presentations need thoughts and structure only, but essays need to melt in emotion seamlessly as well. One recommendation to future applicants is to prepare as early as possible. I feel that my application was a bit too tight, and did not have enough time to rewrite the essays. Essays take time.

JANE: Any opinions on the fact that it seems every bright Chinese wants to get into a top MBA program in America?

Joanna: I really do not think going to B-school in the States is the only choice for young talents in China.

JANE: What is your plan after your graduation?

Joanna: My current plan is to work in the States for 1-2 years, then, I will come back to China. I truly believe that to us Chinese, most opportunities still lie in China.

JANE: What is your biggest passion?

Joanna: Both Yingbing and I have a passion for travelling. Even when we were poor students at Fudan, we already began to explore the fantasies in China.

JANE: If experience is what you are looking for in life, is it time now or after MBA for you to do something "dramatic?" Let's say, start up something?

Joanna: Actually I would like to try non-profit organization. I do not think those non-profit organizations are mature enough. However, the needs for projects like "HOPE" can benefit so much to the whole society. For example, both Yingbing and I had thought to "adopt" those children deprived of education. However, the channels for donation and adoption are not easily
accessible. I think there will be so many more people like us who would like to contribute but do not know how. What a waste.

JANE: Any suggestions for people who are interested in working for a consulting firm, or a business career, or pursuing a top MBA degree?

Joanna: Consulting is a great job, but not everyone fits. Only if you are keen on solving problems, you like travelling and are willing to suffer long working hours, should you consider consulting. A good thing about consulting is that you can actually come in and out at any time, so it will offer you an opportunity to try and regret.

JANE: Thank you, Joanna! Have a nice life in America!

JANE: Joanna always talks about you. You two seem to be perfect together. You
have gotten to McKinsey together and soon you two will meet at laceName>ColumbialaceName> laceType>UniversitylaceType> laceName>BusinesslaceName> laceType>SchoollaceType>. Tell us something about yourself, would you?

Yingbing: I graduated from Fudan, which is a university I am proud of. Then I came to McKinsey as an analyst and worked for two and half years. That was really a great experience, in which I learned a lot of things and had so many good friends. After that, I went to some dot-com companies for one year before coming to Columbia.

JANE: Competing for jobs in a top Consultant Company, then competing for a top MBA program, it seems to me that you always know what to do next. Are all consultants good planners?

Yingbing: Planning is what you need to make sure the overall direction is right. And it's especially helpful if one would ask himself what he really wants to do in the long-term. In this sense, consultants are usually good planners. However, good planners do not plan everything. The process of doing it can hardly be planned, or at least, it needs frequent modification.

Hui: What do you think is the most important thing you have learned from working for Mckinsey?

Yingbing: Thinking, in a structural way. McKinsey emphasizes creating innovative ideas. However, it facilitates one's thinking in a more structural way. So it becomes much more efficient and effective to tackle even sophisticated problems. Also the structural way makes it easier to
communicate.

JANE: It is said that few Chinese students could get into this top school. What made you stand out?

Yingbing: Maybe my background helps, but passion towards my long-term career development should be the dominant winning factor. That's why I think planning in the big picture is crucial for one's success.

JANE: Planning in a picture. Good advice! Which part of the application is most difficult to you? Looking back into the process, were you ever nervous or did you have any worries?

Yingbing: Writing an essay is toughest for me. My English was not that good so it was hard to express my thinking effectively. I edited the essays many times before I actually handed them in. It's a painful process. But, in retrospect, it is quite memorable since it's just such a unique experience.

JANE: How can you afford the MBA cost at Columbia?

Yingbing: Oh, lots of MBAs apply for loans. Though we cannot apply for a US federal loan, a standard MBA loan is readily applicable and usually gets approved. So financially, it's not a big problem with studying for an MBA. However, for us, Mainland Chinese residents, applying for a visa may be more difficult if you totally rely on an MBA loan. I am not an expert on this and there should be many good advisors on the issue. As for myself, I did apply for a loan and hopefully I can pay it back as soon as possible.

JANE: Since both Joanna and you were preparing for the applications, how did you help each other?

Yingbing: We actually prepared them separately, since the essays have to truly reflect one's minds and thus be unique. However, we are active readers to each other. It's helpful to check whether your message gets through and whether the communication is really effective. Getting a reader is actually a good idea in writing those essays.

JANE: Are there some major differences between your approach of the application and hers?

Yingbing: It's hard to say. The essays are so different since the experiences we have are not the same. Our future goals are different, too. Since the essays are a reflection of one's past as well as one's future, our applications vary a lot, too.

JANE: What is your biggest dream?

Yingbing: My biggest dream? I want to establish my own firm and make it successful. China has so many opportunities that I would regret if I don't do anything.

JANE: Good Luck! Thank you very much for sharing this with us. Thanks

good share.

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%

查看