South: 4  %
Southwest: 18  %
West: 62  %
US Possessions/Territories: 0  %

INTERNSHIPS

Top internship recruiters, 2008-09:

Other Internship Recruiters:
N/A

I have never felt like I am "just a number" at the Marriott School; this is surprising due to the size and competitive nature of the program. My concerns have always been treated with individual attention. In fact, I would not be at this school were it not for Joan Young, the former Undergraduate Programs Director (now retired). She went the "extra mile," giving me extra help that I needed to be deserving of acceptance into the management program. It is evident that the Marriott School is concerned with each student, individually.

The business school's teachers/admin are fantastic but the school's overall admin I found very unsupportive. My experience has been that they are overly shielded from students and that students who truly want to make the university a better place have too much red tape to go through to even make it worthwhile. They are not innovators in the least. In fact, they seem to scourge the very though of progress or at least providing a viable form for others imbued with the energy to do so. As long as the general BYU admin stays far away from the business school and its students, the university will still be a great learning institution because of the brilliance and entrepreneurial spirit contained within the walls of the Tanner Building. For me, that made the experience worthwhile despite the lackluster interaction I had with the general admin.

There is a really good balance of outside work and in-class studies. I also feel that BYU provides very good networking activities as well as events to help prepare for and gain experience in looking for a future career. Internships are offered as a class to provide not only class credit, but valuable experience when it can be difficult for many to find an internship during the summer.

If I could change one thing about the program - and this applies to the entire educational institution - I would find more effective methods of evaluation than multiple choice tests. They are such a waste of time and effort, and they provide absolutely no value to me as a student. I don't feel accomplished or fulfilled when I get an A on an exam. I would much rather spend my time writing papers or working on projects that help me develop a wider variety of skills. Although my school has many assignments to help me do this, grades are heavily weighted on the tests, which requires me to spend more time on meaningless cram sessions than actual learning.

The Accounting program is very organized and strong. The teachers coordinate well and we had an opportunity to evaluate our group members early enough for them to change. In the business general core classes, we don't have that opportunity to eventuate our group members early, the teachers don't coordinate--even though they ""force"" us into an ""envelope"" of classes so they can ""force"" us into department specified groups""--so all of the huge group projects wind up being due at the same time because the teachers all use the department declared group numbers to pick the timing of group presentations.

It's not that my school has done poorly, but I think if there had been someway to get me more engaged in the business world from the start, looking for opportunities, or knowing what I want, I could have had a better outcome.

The professors in the upper-level courses are extremely high quality individuals with incredible credentials. I entered the Marriott School of Management without realizing I would be affiliating with some of the best minds in this part of the country. Those who leave years of work in the financial industry and spend time with me one on one helping me write business plans or prepare for certification tests is a privledge I don't feel I entirely deserve. I feel rather lucky as well as well prepared to start my career.

The professors fail to hold students to a reasonable expectation of engagement and performance. As a result, the teacher of my 400-level economics class basically retaught economics 110 because students didn't remember it, the professor didn't expect them to re-learn it on their own, and we failed to learn much new material. Due to the exceedingly low expectations of professors and the relative easiness of the assignment,s I will graduate from the Marriott school with very few concrete and fine-tuned skills to apply in a professional setting. Several of the OB/HR professors are very passionate and experienced in what they do but this does not translate into rigorous, challenging course that prepare students for work outside of a university. Additionally, Marriott only seems interested in advertising for jobs with for-profit firms to the exclusion of government or socially conscious non-profit positions.

We are ethical. Most of us are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We are generally very ethical and I find that I do not run into people cheating like I had experienced at College Park High School. The professors are also very professional and they expect us to be ethical.

There is an underdog mentality among the students that want to make it big and get difficult jobs. This engenders an amount of hard work that is possibly not found at other schools. There is also a strong push for level-headed and ethical thinking that makes the business program unique.

While the top level of students at BYU-Marriott is exceptionally high -- just as high as those at any other top-level school -- the lower levels are sadly inferior to other schools. Many students are unable to construct sentences, let alone write major papers. Even worse, the ability to communicate effectively is almost abhorred by the general student body. Such ignorance significantly lowers the overall level of academe at BYU-Marriott as it influences class-room discussion and student work out of class.

返回列表

站长推荐 关闭

美国top10 MBA VIP申请服务

自2003年开始提供 MBA 申请服务以来,保持着90% 以上的成功率,其中Top10 MBA服务成功率更是高达95%

查看