Board logo

标题: 谈谈all 和all of [打印本页]

作者: assfgrtrtr    时间: 2004-8-12 06:57     标题: 谈谈all 和all of

今天做了03年1月的题目,发现一道语法题是有关all 和all of的,我看了太傻语法笔记说all of +the +n.觉得有一定道理。这道题我作对了,可是对于这两个词的用法希望弄的更明白一些。我觉得all of好像感觉后边的名词应属于一个范畴,也就是往往后面会跟一个介词短语修饰,而all则无此限制,不知道理解的对不对,请大侠指点!!

作者: himba    时间: 2004-8-12 06:58

1. three or more items: all refers to three or more items. Compare: I'll take all three shirts, please. I'll tale both shirts. (Not ... all two shirts) 2. subject, object or complement: all can be the subject, object or complement of a sentence. All that maters is to be happy. I gave here all she asked for. that's all. 3. all with nouns and pronouns: all can modify a noun or pronoun. Two positions are possible: with the noun or pronoun: All (of) the people were singing. I haven't read all of it. Give my love to them all. 4. all with adjectives, adverbs etc: all can be used to emphasise some adjectives, adverbs, prepositions and conjunctions. You're all wet. I was all alone. I looked all round, but I couldn't see anything. Tell me all about your holiday. It's all because of you. 5. all, everybody: We do not normally use all to mean "everybody". Compare: All the people stood up. Everybody stood up. (Not All stood up.) 6. all and everything: all can mean "everything", but usually only in the structure "all + relative clause ( all that...). Compare: All (that) I have is yours. everything is yours. ( Not All is yours) She lost all she owned. She lost everything. (Not She lost all.) this structure often has a rather negative meaning, expressing ideas like "nothing more" or "the only thing(s)". This is all i've got. All I want is a place to sit down. All that happened was that he went to sleep. Note also That's all (= "It's finished"; "There's no more"). 7. all and all of: all (of) can modify nouns and pronouns. before a noun with a determiner (for example the , my , this), all and all of are both possible. She's eaten all (of) the cake. All (of) my friends like riding. Before a noun with no determiner, we do not normally use of. All children can be difficult. (Not All of children...) 8. all of + personal pronoun with personal pronouns, we use all of + object form All of us/you/them can be the subject or object of a clause. All of us can come tomorrow. (Not All we...) She's invited all of you. Mary sent all of them her love. 9. pronoun + all we can put all after pronouns used as objects. She's invited you all. Mary sent her love to them all. I've made us all something to eat. This does not happen with complement pronouns or in short answers. Is that all of them? (Not Is that them all?) Who did you invite? All of them. (Not Them all ) All can follow a subject pronoun (e.g. They all went home), but in this case it belongs grammatically with the verb and may be separated from the pronoun (e.g. They have all gone home). 10. types of noun all is used mostly before uncountable and plural nouns. all the water all my friends However, all can be used before some singular countable nouns referring to things that can naturally be divided into parts. all that week all my family all the way. with other singular countable nouns, it is more natural to use whole (e.g. the whole story) 11. negative verbs it is not very common to use all + noun as the subject of a negative verb (e.g. All Americans don't like hamburgers). We more often use not all + noun + affirmative verb. Not all Americans like hamburgers. Note the difference between not all and no. Compare: Not all birds can fly. No birds can play chess. 12. leaving out the it is sometimes possible to drop the after all (e.g. all day, all three brothers) 13. all: with verbs when all refers to the subject of a clause, it can go with the verb, in "mid-position" (like some adverbs) auxiliary verb + all am/are/is/was/were + all We can all swim. The guests have all arrived. Those apples were all bad. all + other verb My family all work in education. They all liked the soup. Note that these meanings can also be expressed by using all (of) + noun/pronoun as the subject. All of us can swim. All (of) the guests have arrived. 14. all and every all and every can both be used to talk about people or things in general, or about all the members of a group. There is little difference of meaning; every often suggests "without exception". The two words are used in different structures. every is used with a singular noun. To give the same meaning, all is used with a plural noun. Compare: every + singular every child needs love. (Not all child needs love) every light was out. all + plural All children need love. All the lights were out. we can use all, but not mormally every, with certain determiners (articles, possessives or demonstratives). Compare: all + determiner + plural All the lights were out. I've written to all my friends. every + singlular every light was out. (Not the every light...) I've written to every friend I have. (Not every my friend/my every friend) 15. all and whole all (of) and whole can both be used with singular nouns to mean "complete", "every part of ". The word order is different. determiner + whole + noun all (of) + determiner + noun Sam spent the whole week at home. Sam spent all (of) the week at home. my whole life all (of ) my life. All is not generally used before indefinite articles. She's eaten a whole loaf. (Not .... all a loaf) with plural nouns, all and whole have different meanings. all is like every; whole means "complete", "entire". Compare: All Indian tribes suffered from white settlement in America. (= every Indian tribe suffered....) Whole Indian tribes were killed off. (= Complete tribes were killed off; nobody was left alive in these tribes.)

作者: nbnhjf    时间: 2004-8-12 07:00

呵,好全了.谢谢了!!!!!!!1

欢迎光临 国际顶尖MBA申请交流平台--TOPWAY MBA (http://forum.topway.org/forum/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2